• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Subtropical Moisture Heavy Rain Potential 5/16-5/17

bluewave

It's not that he likes rain, it's the fact he compared a historic wet month here to this month with no reasoning

Fair enough. I cringed when I read that. No defending that. And my response was in response to Keith's post, not yours.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a bad feeling that the pattern this Spring would revert to this crap. +NAO patterns eventually reverse into -NAO patterns, backdoor season always hits one way or the other, and progressive patterns eventually revert to cut-off bowling ball buzzkillers that linger for days. The immediate coast's sub-70 streak may continue after all.

Does that means we could have our fifth consecutive below average month?

Up here of course. But down south specifically in and around the Gulf Stream no. I wouldn't e surprised to see extra trop storm

cdas-sflux_ssta_atl_1.png[/quote

And there is the Gulf Stream

Although we had a cold winter and thus current cold coastal water temps the stream be running hot! If it weren't for the possible El Niño I would think we would have a shot at a major hurricane

P6_GZ_D5_PN_180_0000.gif

P6_GZ_D5_PN_192_0000.gif

The CMC charts are unusable since they didn't fix the phantom tropical cyclone spin up problem yet with that model.

It's much better to rely on the Euro and GFS OP's and ensembles for any systems with tropical or subtropical moisture

involved. 

The CMC charts are unusable since they didn't fix the phantom tropical cyclone spin up problem yet with that model.

It's much better to rely on the Euro and GFS OP's and ensembles for any systems with tropical or subtropical moisture

involved. 

Well the storm exists on the GFS and ECMWF also, just not as strong or organized.

Well the storm exists on the GFS and ECMWF also, just not as strong or organized.

The reason it's not as strong is that those models don't have the feedback problem. The CMC is making it

a strong tropical cyclone incorrectly, while the GFS and Euro have a low with subtropical characteristics 

with much higher pressure. I hope the next CMC upgrade will address that issue.

The reason it's not as strong is that those models don't have the feedback problem. The CMC is making it

a strong tropical cyclone incorrectly, while the GFS and Euro have a low with subtropical characteristics 

with much higher pressure. I hope the next CMC upgrade will address that issue.

attachicon.gifGZ_D5_PN_240_0000.gif

attachicon.gifGZ_PN_216_0000.gif

That GGEM image was from 12z.

Here is the 00z image.

P6_GZ_D5_PN_168_0000.gif

That GGEM image was from 12z.

Here is the 00z image.

P6_GZ_D5_PN_168_0000.gif

That's to show that as we get closer the GGEM will back off the strength and come into line with the Euro and GFS and

not a a full bird cat 1 hurricane roaring up the coast like it was showing yesterday. Feedback problems

are really bad longer range.

That's to show that as we get closer the GGEM will back off the strength and come into line with the Euro and GFS and

not a a full bird cat 1 hurricane roaring up the coast like it was showing yesterday. Feedback problems

are really bad longer range.

Just to make it clear I don't disagree.

But I don't think it's totally off the wall to consider some type of sub-tropical low coming up the coast.

Just to make it clear I don't disagree.

But I don't think it's totally off the wall to consider some type of sub-tropical low coming up the coast.

It's not off the wall for a low with subtropical characteristics since that's what the Euro and GFS have been 

indicating for several days now. The area of moisture is originating over the Caribbean now which can lead

to a very wet interaction with the stalled out front later next week.

I always thought it was universally accepted that the Canadian is the last model you'd want to reference wrt anything out of the tropics. Not sure why it keeps getting posted except as a filler between more worthwhile guidance.

consider the source

you speak to me as if I didn't already know that. Funny how you didn't criticize Typhoon Tip for posting that in New England.

I speak in generalities in here, I didn't mention you or your name. As for Tip, no comment there.

I would hope nearly everyone here knows that the DGEX is a terrible model, but like everything else it has its uses.

Honestly I would say it doesn't have a use other than to glance at. I mean an 84 hour NAM map is handled with high skepticism and rightfully so and the DGEX is just an extension of the NAM. I mean at that point you inputting the closest thing to useless model data into another model. 

The Euro would wring out quite a bit of moisture in portions of the East if that

weak subtropical low/wave phases with the trough like it's showing. The models

keep hitting the block harder so any moisture starting out over the Caribbean

has to get drawn into the trough.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/ecmwf-opertc2.cgi?time=2014050912&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Archived