joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring

mreaves

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a weak TS just come through...only 1 tip of the bucket. Quite a few rumbles on the backside of the cell though including a "bolt from the blue."

That cell really blew up over S. Merrimack and Hillsborough Counties. I could tell while outside as there was little thunder when overhead, but the rumbles really picked up and continued for a good 30-45 mins even with it well south.

That cell really blew up over S. Merrimack and Hillsborough Counties. I could tell while outside as there was little thunder when overhead, but the rumbles really picked up and continued for a good 30-45 mins even with it well south.

Cell past over me, quite weak giving me .05".  Here it is moving away about 35 to 50 miles south of me.  I think it was warned by this time.  Still can see it to my south about 100 miles away now.

A year ago right now I was having thundersnow.  Quick 3" knocked out my power.  Stopped just in time before major tree damage.  What a great evening that was!!

post-268-0-82908000-1401062096_thumb.jpg

Cell past over me, quite weak giving me .05".  Here it is moving away about 35 to 50 miles south of me.  I think it was warned by this time.  Still can see it to my south about 100 miles away now.

A year ago right now I was having thundersnow.  Quick 3" knocked out my power.  Stopped just in time before major tree damage.  What a great evening that was!!

Was pretty noisy given how much it missed me by.  Guessing your pic is near the time this was happening.  I have some family in Hopkinton near the Concord line and they didn't get anything exciting.

2120 150 HOPKINTON MERRIMACK NH 4319 7168 SPOTTER FROM 1286 SOUTH ROAD HOPKINTON NH (GYX)

I was up on Mansfield yesterday for some skiing, so I can pass along an update on the snowpack in the Nosedive area.  It’s actually covered pretty well in one of the paragraphs from yesterday’s trip report, so I’ve pasted that in below for the details:

“As far as the snow goes, there were a couple of piles here and there even down near the base, but nothing of real consequence.  I didn’t start to see more consistent patches on Nosedive until I got up around the 2,100’ mark at the junction with National.  What I did get to see in the lower elevations was the appearance of wildflowers, including what looked like some trout lilies on their way toward opening up.  Even though we had some rain yesterday, Nosedive was really pretty dry aside from areas in close proximity to snow patches or the occasional water bar with meltwater, so that made the hiking especially easy.  The mid afternoon sun was still quite strong during my ascent, so I hiked in the shade when possible.  As for the insects, all I saw was the occasional mosquito, so that made for a pleasurable ascent on that front.  The presence of patchy snow off to climber’s left was all that I saw until I got up near 2,600’, and just below the intersection of Cliff Trail I saw the first area of coverage across the whole width of the trail.  That was only an isolated section, and it was back to grass for a while above there, but once I got up to ~2,900’ I got into the nearly continuous snow, and there was even some snow remaining in the trees on both sides of the trail.  I continued my ascent all the way up to roughly 3,600’ because the snow just kept going.  There were a couple more breaks, but they were small enough that it kept me interested in reaching the top pile near the junction with the Toll Road (which is definitely open – I saw a car on its way down while I was up there).”

I’ve added a few images from yesterday below, and there are additional shots in the full report.

25MAY14C.jpg

25MAY14A.jpg

25MAY14D.jpg

25MAY14H.jpg

25MAY14G.jpg

Nice JSpin! I knew some folks who used the Toll Road to cheat and get up on top of Nosedive, but props for human-powering it up for those last turns. Looks like that will just about do it for Nosedive. Also great pic of the storm in NH and the green foliage crawling up towards the Sterling Ridge.

Way to get after it on Memorial Day Weekend. I see that the Stake was at 2" on Sunday and is now down to a Trace. Knowing how that goes in the spring, it's probably melted out around the stake but with patches to 6-8" nearby. We'll have a couple days of Traces now to let the Swiss cheese snow cover melt out.

Nice JSpin! I knew some folks who used the Toll Road to cheat and get up on top of Nosedive, but props for human-powering it up for those last turns. Looks like that will just about do it for Nosedive. Also great pic of the storm in NH and the green foliage crawling up towards the Sterling Ridge.

With the great weather on Sunday, it was as much fun just getting out for the hike as anything, but there was plenty of snow to make it worth throwing in the skiing as a bonus.  The slopes were actually pretty dry outside the areas of snow and recent melt, so traction was good, and it was an easier hike than the way it typically is at the front end of the season in October/November when surfaces are wet from new snow/rain.  I’ll often get to descend lower on skis, or start skinning at lower elevations on those outings, so that tends to make up for some of the more challenging hiking, but I was in my usual sort of soft, moderate weight, 3-buckle Tele boots for the whole thing, and with adjusting walk mode, they were a great fit for all the hiking and skiing.  I was moving pretty quickly on the down hike to get home and get dinner rolling, but it was only 15 minutes or so from the bottom of that lowest snowfield below the Cliff Trail junction back to the base.

Way to get after it on Memorial Day Weekend. I see that the Stake was at 2" on Sunday and is now down to a Trace. Knowing how that goes in the spring, it's probably melted out around the stake but with patches to 6-8" nearby. We'll have a couple days of Traces now to let the Swiss cheese snow cover melt out.

Yeah, it’s down to that patchy stage now around the stake I bet, and I think that’s pretty typical for this Memorial Day Weekend/first of June period.  It’s interesting; it looks like the snowmelt went a little fast in May after being a bit above normal at the beginning of the month:

27MAY14A.jpg

The snowpack never seems to behave like that tailing bit at the end of the average data, and I can’t see how it would – if anything, the rate of snow melt should accelerate as it gets closer to zero, with less thermal mass from underlying snow etc.  At least that’s what I see in watching the snowpack at my back yard stake each season.  And, each day is getting warmer on average at this time of year, not cooler, so that should accelerate melting relative to earlier rates.  The co-op typically reports those last patches of snow as a trace, and that shouldn’t make the tail, so unless the last few inches at the bottom of the snowpack were especially crusty and glaciated for some reason, that doesn’t explain it.  I think that part of that the tail in the mean data is actually derived from spikes from those late-season snowfall events, which gradually tail off as one heads into the first part of June.  Last year’s Memorial Day Weekend accumulation would be an example of that type of event.  It could also be a function of the limited data as well – a quick scan through the raw data I downloaded for my 24-inch stake snow depth plot shows that aside from late-season spikes from storms, only a handful of seasons (’65-’66, ’66-’67, ’68-’69, ’70-’71, ’95-’96, ’96-’97 – interestingly clumped into just two sets of dates) make up the bulk of the June snowpack data.

There’s certainly some snow off the sides of Nosedive in the trees right now, both the skier’s right, shown in the image below, and the left off in the Bypass area.  It’s hard to say how much of that might be supplemented by spillover from snowmaking, but the Bypass stuff seemed quite out of the way from what I saw.

25MAY14J.jpg

We’re watching the Mt. Washington Snowfields now to see how they’re faring – unfortunately they’ve got the Ravines Cam angled so that you can’t see Huntington Ravine or the main snowfields, just the southern bits, but when they’re still there that’s a good sign that the ones to the north are still there:

27MAY14B.jpg

You're undoubtedly right about the composition fo the June "tail" - late season snows and anomalous years like 1969, 71, and 97.  This last had 47" on 6/1, down to "T" by 6/12.  I suspect that if median depth were charted, the line would dive into the bottom like this year's record.

You're undoubtedly right about the composition fo the June "tail" - late season snows and anomalous years like 1969, 71, and 97. This last had 47" on 6/1, down to "T" by 6/12. I suspect that if median depth were charted, the line would dive into the bottom like this year's record.

Yeah that's my thought too...each season pretty much always falls off a cliff at some point towards the end. It never slowly dies like the average graph would make you think. The snowpack goes quickly at the end, it just depends how far into spring the bulk of the pack can survive before the melt really accelerates.

The graph can be misleading in some ways, like the end of the season (and the start of the season too). There are a few huge outliers (like 30" depths in October I think in 2005?) on both ends of the season when even the median could be a trace but the mean is like 5". Also late in the season the depths become more variable...one year the patch of snow 6-8" deep lingers at the stake and melts out elsewhere, while the next year the stake melts out quicker than the surrounding area. I was up there two years ago and the stake was showing 12" but there was only like 50% ground cover overall. Everyone knows how that deep snowpack melt goes...it doesn't melt evenly, especially at that elevation which builds such large depths. There could be some tail-end seasonal variability in that too from one year to the next.

Let's forget about snow on the mountains for now, and photo op those boom boom "CB" clouds over the mountains instead.  Frosty the snowman even says, "all you snow loving screwballs out there, didn't you all have enough of winter ? In five months the ugly sweatpants and parkas come on, and the dead barren landscape returns.  Enjoy the green verdant hiatus from winter. 

You NNE folks missed the first New England tornado of the season

Yesterday (Monday) in Maine

Saw that there had been two tornado warnings in the northeast part of the state, but just swa that one had been confirmed.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

350 PM EDT TUE MAY 27 2014

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR LUDLOW IN AROOSTOOK COUNTY MAINE...

LOCATION...LUDLOW IN AROOSTOOK COUNTY MAINE

DATE...MAY 26 2014

ESTIMATED TIME...150 PM EDT

MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...70 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...180 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...200 YARDS

BEGINNING LAT/LON...46.1478N / 67.9915W

ENDING LAT/LON...46.1446N / 67.9901W

* FATALITIES...0

* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN NWS

STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CARIBOU ME HAS CONFIRMED A

TORNADO NEAR LUDLOW IN AROOSTOOK COUNTY MAINE ON MAY 26 2014.

MINOR TREE DAMAGE WAS EVIDENT ON BOTH SIDES OF LUDLOW ROAD, WITH

TREES EITHER SPLIT OR UPROOTED IN A CONVERGENT PATTERN. THIS DAMAGE

WAS SUPPORTED BY AN EYEWITNESS WHO WAS PRESENT AT THE TIME OF THE

EVENT, AS WELL AS WELL AS PHOTO EVIDENCE OF THE FUNNEL TAKEN BY A

PERSON SOUTH OF HOULTON.

There where still some fairly large snowfields remaining near the summit of Mount Washington as of yesterday afternoon per the Ravines Webcam.

There is also a snowfields report from Snow Journal:

http://snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic20387&start=2

Thanks Coventry, I didn’t see it at first, but then I found that most recent post from Monday; very helpful.  I also see now that people have provided some updates in the TFT Memorial Day Thread; it looks like the Ravines Cam was in its regular position at that point, because someone there posted a capture in that thread:

25MAY14L.jpg

44F miserable degrees. wth?

At least it's not 2005.  May 22-26 that year, highs 48,48,47,47,49, and over 5" rain during those 5 days.  Then June 15-18 had 52,53,55,56, all with rain though not so heavy as the May rotter.

Hasn't rained here in AUG in the past hour - maybe thet's progress.  Of course, if too much dry air comes in before, say, midnight, then no 5 AM fog to prevent a frost.

Archived