• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring

mreaves

We have black flies here. 81.6F so far here.

I thought MOS was going to be a little too high today, but it's been pretty much spot on. ASH is going to end up with a max about 19-20C higher than their 850s. Maybe the relative lack of foliage so far is helping out with sfc heating and mixing.

I don't think we really start dropping until midnight. I haven't looked at much yet though.

Little/no foliage = little/no transpirational cooling (or ground shading, though I think the former is more important.)  That plus modest dews = NNE warmth: near 80 in AUG.  Though the end is in sight.  N.Maine is in the 40s behind the BD.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 77/35 yesterday, 2nd straight day of near perfect low-dew warm-season wx.  Cloudy and 40s at present, with a raw breeze, not all that bad.  Blackflies haven't awakened yet at my place, but any day now.  Local woodpeckers are hammering on the transformer can across the street; at least they're not working on our cabin.  :whistle:

I think our forsythia has to go.  It's always suffered blossom kill on whatever parts are above the snowpack during bottom-of-winter cold.  This year the main bush has one...solitary...blossom.  That's worse than none at all - like it's taunting us.  A tiny runner near the ground has 4 more, but it has no future, either.

Jay Peak will be open again this weekend...still looks pretty covered.

We were up in borderwx land over the Mother’s Day weekend checking out the snow.  Full reports from Saturday and Sunday are at our site with more photos, but I’m passing along a few shots of the snow below as well.  There’s some natural snow in the upper elevations, but for the most part the skiing is on manmade snow as borderwx mentioned on Wednesday.  Of course Jay Peak is fantastic at reeling in the snow as everyone knows (on that note, see the video posted below), but per earlier discussion, I don’t think it’s got quite the snow preservation of Mt. Mansfield.  There’s plenty of snow there right now though on trails like The Jet to keep skiing for quite some time.

11MAY14B.jpg

10MAY14D.jpg

11MAY14C.jpg

Speaking of Jay Peak by the way, over the weekend my wife mentioned how she heard Meathead Films won "Best Powder" at the 2013 Powder Video Awards with their Jay Peak segment.  To put that into perspective, that’s an award won against some stiff, worldwide competition.  For example, footage from Chatter Creek was in one of the entries… that’s snowcat and heli skiing in British Columbia.  Anyway, that’s certainly some nice representation for Northern Greens powder on the global scale:

Since it was the 2013 awards, taking place on December 6th last year, the footage must have been from the 2011-2012 Ski Season, so my best guess from that video and other segments is that it was the Feb 24-26, 2012 storm cycle.  That was a bright spot of a 40” storm in what was otherwise quite a low snowfall season – only 115.3” in total at our site, for the lowest in my records.  That Saturday was an awesome storm day, but I suspect they would have gotten their footage from Sunday, which was sunny.

Nice report, JSpin. Looks like good snow cover on some trails. I am surprised at how bare most others look, especially up high, but I'm not sure what aspects Jay's terrain is or the elevations to compare. I think Mansfield might hold it longer, but Jay is a point that hits 4,000ft, while Mansfield is a 2 mile long ridge up at that elevation that also has a significantly more acreage in that 3,000-4,000ft elevation band, where the natural snow is now. That skews things as Jay may have more snow at that elevation but it looks less because there isn't a 2 mile wide wall up at that elevation...if that makes sense.

Also as we know, more snowfall in inches during the year doesn't necessarily mean more snowpack deeper into the season. Jay gets more upslope in theory that would be an increase in fluffy snow...who knows how much different like summit SWE numbers would be though. I remember this past spring one of the NWS mets doing a snow survey up there found similar SWE values as I did on Mansfield...or at least they were in the ballpark, which made us feel more comfortable that the values were likely correct. I'd love to spend some time during the season up there to just get a better feel. Jay certainly gets a bit more snowfall....just like the Stowe/Smuggs area does better than SB/MRG area, which does better than Killington/Pico, etc. It would be cool to get a better idea of the climo up there.

Oh and good guess about the Meathead films segment...I was doing some work with them this spring and we were talking about that event, it was the FEB 2012 upslope storm which put down those 30-40" of upslope in 36 hours and then dawned bluebird first thing in the morning. Like the perfect combination.

81F at BTV so far.

I see 79F last hour at MVL...gotta imagine the ASOS there will hit 80F if it didn't already. I was thinking it was the first 80F of the season at MVL but then I remembered the April 15 torch ....where in classic mountain valley fashion MVL was the warmest spot around and driest (BTV high was 78?) With like a 45-50F diurnal spread that day.

You made it through another North Country winter Nittany...now for the reward time of year lol.

I see 79F last hour at MVL...gotta imagine the ASOS there will hit 80F if it didn't already. I was thinking it was the first 80F of the season at MVL but then I remembered the April 15 torch ....where in classic mountain valley fashion MVL was the warmest spot around and driest (BTV high was 78?) With like a 45-50F diurnal spread that day.

You made it through another North Country winter Nittany...now for the reward time of year lol.

Haha I'm hoping its my last honestly. Looking to head outta here.

And BTV hit 81F on that April Day. Today makes it the third 80+ day here at BTV.

Awesome video Hitman....that was the day. One incredible upslope event.

Seems like a good time to relive some radar haha...

430am on 2/25/12

nuking.gif

13 hours later at 5:30pm still ripping and I remember averaging 1-3" per hour all day. It was like being in a CCB band in a strong noreaster but for like 18 hours straight in total.

incredible2.gif

Upslope may be referred to as fake snow, but the fluff in those events like this one are amazing to ski in.

IMG_2351_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2384_edited-1.jpg

Haha I'm hoping its my last honestly. Looking to head outta here.

And BTV hit 81F on that April Day. Today makes it the third 80+ day here at BTV.

Best of luck, dude. Though the meso-scale AFDs during upslope events will be missed if you take off. You brought a whole new level of upslope forecasting to the region.

nice report J - I packed in the ski boots for the year so nice to see someone still jumping around up there :)

jay may get the snow, but it also gets the wind, it could probably easily claim wind capital of the east too.  Makes for great drift line skiing, wood filler, and great photo and vid ops like the meatheads showed.  The storms that fall straight could be counted on one hand by a blind table saw operator.  

Long winter.  Nice to have the windows open.

Growing season commence :)

Suns been out for past half hour.  Temp and dew shot up.  73/62F seems so hot and humid.  Really feel that 62F dew.  Funny, how in the summer this would be a pretty refreshing airmass.

Not sure I'd ever call dews in the 60s up here refreshing...even in the Summer. It feels like one of those 80/72 swampazz days though even though it's only 76/61 here.

Archived