joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring

mreaves

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a lock to finish this month above normal here at BTV.

Per climate SOP, BTV is warmest, then MVL, then MPV, then 1V4. I can't believe St J is below normal on the month, haha.

St J average temp is 51.4F and -.4 on the month.

MVL average temp is 54.3F and is +2.0 on the month.

Is MVL's climate normal that much colder than 1V4 at nearly identical elevations? Same temps but 2.4 departure degrees different? Usually those two often run pretty close to each other, I have a hard time believing the long term normals have MVL averaging like 2F cooler than 1V4.

Per climate SOP, BTV is warmest, then MVL, then MPV, then 1V4. I can't believe St J is below normal on the month, haha.

St J average temp is 51.4F and -.4 on the month.

MVL average temp is 54.3F and is +2.0 on the month.

Is MVL's climate normal that much colder than 1V4 at nearly identical elevations? Same temps but 2.4 departure degrees different? Usually those two often run pretty close to each other, I have a hard time believing the long term normals have MVL averaging like 2F cooler than 1V4.

It's probably related to the way measurements are done at St. J. Official climate records use the long-standing COOP station at the Fairbanks museum which records 4pm-4pm rather than midnight-midnight.

Also I just noticed that Montpelier/MPV 53.1F and is +1.0....so that would put the normal temp at 52.1F to this point in the month.

MVL with 54.3F and +2.0 departure means the average temp is 52.3F.

I had no idea those two sites averaged the same temps...MPV seems to always be colder with the highs and similar lows, being at 1200ft vs 750Ft at MVL.

Also I just noticed that Montpelier/MPV 53.1F and is +1.0....so that would put the normal temp at 52.1F to this point in the month.

MVL with 54.3F and +2.0 departure means the average temp is 52.3F.

I had no idea those two sites averaged the same temps...MPV seems to always be colder with the highs and similar lows, being at 1200ft vs 750Ft at MVL.

By the way, St. J is 54.1F so far this month.

It's probably related to the way measurements are done at St. J. Official climate records use the long-standing COOP station at the Fairbanks museum which records 4pm-4pm rather than midnight-midnight.

BTW I think you mean 54.1F at Saint Johnsbury.

Ahhh and that's a more urban setting too right? Isn't that museum like right downtown?

I could see that coming in warmer than right along RT 100 in a bunch of fields on the Morrisville/Stowe border, despite similar elevations.

Ahhh and that's a more urban setting too right? Isn't that museum like right downtown?

I could see that coming in warmer than right along RT 100 in a bunch of fields on the Morrisville/Stowe border, despite similar elevations.

Yeah it's right downtown. It's the worst ASOS siting in our CWA lol.

By the way, St. J is 54.1F so far this month.

Yeah...I guess I didn't realize how the norms are laid out between the three sites, with "normal" being similar at MVL and MPV, while 1V4 averages a couple degrees warmer. I assumed MVL and 1V4 were the same with MPV being cooler by a couple degrees due to 500ft extra elevation.

But maybe it is due to the Fairbanks Museum vs the ASOS of the other two.

Yeah...I guess I didn't realize how the norms are laid out between the three sites, with "normal" being similar at MVL and MPV, while 1V4 averages a couple degrees warmer. I assumed MVL and 1V4 were the same with MPV being cooler by a couple degrees due to 500ft extra elevation.

But maybe it is due to the Fairbanks Museum vs the ASOS of the other two.

Yeah Saint Johnsbury is a weird place (and just not climate-wise lol). There's some weird records/trends in there thanks to the 4pm-4pm crap.

Fascinating. Never would've thought BTV and St J were the same temps on average, even with poor siting, haha.

Thanks for the info.

Yup!

I think a lot of that also has to do with the effects of Lake Champlain. A lot of early spring days can actually be WARMER at some of the higher elevation sites and points away from the lake. Any lake breeze or northerly drainage dampens early spring (April and perhaps into May) days in the immediate CPV thanks to 40F lake waters.

I saw ORH mention that ’68-’69 was an El Niño year in a post in the banter thread, and I hadn’t known that, but it got me looking around since I know that was a big winter, and I found an interesting page with information about the winter from Pinkham Notch.  Some folks here might find it interesting; a couple if excerpts I liked are below.  It’s very impressive because Pinkham Notch at 2,032’ is really more akin to a base elevation (lower than the main base at Bolton Valley) than a high mountain elevation:

“February came along with an impressive 12.75 inches of precipitation. It was, clearly, a big month for snow with 130.0 inches of snow falling. This raised the snow depth at the end of the month to just under 14 feet, or to the middle of many upper story windows.”

“Two weeks before the record 76 inch snowfall, a snowstorm of 36 inches occurred. Six days after the 76 inch snowfall another 31 inch snowstorm occurred. There were also some minor storms during that period that added another 5.8 inches of snow. So from the 10th of February through the 4th of March a whopping 148.8 inches of snow fell. That comes to just under 13 feet in 23 days.”

http://www.ohcroo.com/winter_of_1969.cfm

4PM obs would make temps run milder because one warm day could hit two obs periods, at 3:59 and 4:01.  Obs at 7AM goes just the opposite way, with some 7:01 AM obs skewing the data. (At least it avoids the "cheap midnight high.)

I saw ORH mention that ’68-’69 was an El Niño year in a post in the banter thread, and I hadn’t known that, but it got me looking around since I know that was a big winter, and I found an interesting page with information about the winter from Pinkham Notch.  Some folks here might find it interesting; a couple if excerpts I liked are below.  It’s very impressive because Pinkham Notch at 2,032’ is really more akin to a base elevation (lower than the main base at Bolton Valley) than a high mountain elevation:

“February came along with an impressive 12.75 inches of precipitation. It was, clearly, a big month for snow with 130.0 inches of snow falling. This raised the snow depth at the end of the month to just under 14 feet, or to the middle of many upper story windows.”

“Two weeks before the record 76 inch snowfall, a snowstorm of 36 inches occurred. Six days after the 76 inch snowfall another 31 inch snowstorm occurred. There were also some minor storms during that period that added another 5.8 inches of snow. So from the 10th of February through the 4th of March a whopping 148.8 inches of snow fell. That comes to just under 13 feet in 23 days.”

http://www.ohcroo.com/winter_of_1969.cfm

holy smokes!

Feb 69 was a magical month in the Boston area.  I was 13.  First storm was on a Sunday and no school for a week.  Then Feb vacation the next week.  I believe on the Sunday just as vacation ended we had the second huge storm.  No school for 5 more days for the Boston area.  The next Sunday we had the last of the 3 storms, 8" and no school on Monday.  So 3 weeks and 1 day of no school for most of the Boston area.  I remember climbing up to our elementary school roof just by snow drifts right up to roof edge.  I also remember that Rt 128 was closed Sunday night/Monday from the first storm.  Our family skiied at Loon.  On Sunday around noon they announced through loud speakers that a big storm was coming and urged everyone to leave early if they lived south.  We waited till 2pm and under a lowering sky we started driving south.  By Concord NH it was snowing hard.  It took us till 5pm to reach Nashua and we stopped and ate.  When we left it had seemed 6" had fallen while we were in the restaurant.  it took us till 10pm to reach Rt 128.  We lived west of Boston and every off ramp off 128 was impassable.  We ended up sleeping at the Newton reststop with hundreds of other people. Next day they started plowing 128 and we drove north in the southbound lanes to Rt 30.  Had to walk the last mile home in Wayland. I remember the snow was waist deep.  Feb 69 was some month!!! 

Looking at the map above that was just one of the 3 storms.  The 30 day total must be unreal.

I just went back and looked, as I kept a daily weather log.  I was only 13 but I have 29" of snow from the Feb 10th first storm and 8" from the third storm.  The big storm of Feb 22nd I was in Baltimore at my Dad's so missed it.  In my log I recorded 48" of snow on the ground, Wayland Mass after the 3rd storm. Don't remember when we all played on the school roof, but we did that month!

Feb 69 was a magical month in the Boston area. I was 13. First storm was on a Sunday and no school for a week. Then Feb vacation the next week. I believe on the Sunday just as vacation ended we had the second huge storm. No school for 5 more days for the Boston area. The next Sunday we had the last of the 3 storms, 8" and no school on Monday. So 3 weeks and 1 day of no school for most of the Boston area. I remember climbing up to our elementary school roof just by snow drifts right up to roof edge. I also remember that Rt 128 was closed Sunday night/Monday from the first storm. Our family skiied at Loon. On Sunday around noon they announced through loud speakers that a big storm was coming and urged everyone to leave early if they lived south. We waited till 2pm and under a lowering sky we started driving south. By Concord NH it was snowing hard. It took us till 5pm to reach Nashua and we stopped and ate. When we left it had seemed 6" had fallen while we were in the restaurant. it took us till 10pm to reach Rt 128. We lived west of Boston and every off ramp off 128 was impassable. We ended up sleeping at the Newton reststop with hundreds of other people. Next day they started plowing 128 and we drove north in the southbound lanes to Rt 30. Had to walk the last mile home in Wayland. I remember the snow was waist deep. Feb 69 was some month!!!

Looking at the map above that was just one of the 3 storms. The 30 day total must be unreal.

I just went back and looked, as I kept a daily weather log. I was only 13 but I have 29" of snow from the Feb 10th first storm and 8" from the third storm. The big storm of Feb 22nd I was in Baltimore at my Dad's so missed it. In my log I recorded 48" of snow on the ground, Wayland Mass after the 3rd storm. Don't remember when we all played on the school roof, but we did that month!

you old fart, I was 12, truly an epic year, Hi Nitanny.

Archived