joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Spring and Summer banter thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fascinating comparison to the Moore tornado one year later.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The angles are a bit off, the newer photo is centered more to the north on areas that weren't hit. They still cleaned up well though...hopefully not too well.

The lessons of 1999 were only partially learned by the time 2013 rolled in. Maybe at some point people will realize that building a house to withstand extreme winds, or at least having an underground shelter, is not really optional in Oklahoma.

She's like 4 yrs younger than me. Shauna Vargas.

Shaunna is a lot older than me, but I played soccer and basketball with her younger brother, so I knew her family pretty well.  That's pretty cool... small world indeed. 

Speaking of Tolland, does anyone know why the Leela Way weather station on Wunderground hasn't been working for the past few months?  The Brendan Heights station in Stafford hasn't been reporting either (I think that is MetHerb's) and those were my two favorites.  The other stations in this area don't seem to be as reliable.

Yep, I think that thing was dropping baseballs too. 

Scott, so in a supercell the rain would be falling from the anvil in front of the storm, or to the photographers back?  So typically if one was say NE of a NE moving supercell you could get rain going to hail and then at the rear flank the tornado?  The tornado would be the last part of the storm?

Scott, so in a supercell the rain would be falling from the anvil in front of the storm, or to the photographers back?  So typically if one was say NE of a NE moving supercell you could get rain going to hail and then at the rear flank the tornado?  The tornado would be the last part of the storm?

Rain would fall downshear of the updraft. So yes, in theory your idea would be correct. But usually the supercell is moving at least a little to the right of the shear. For instance if the shear was carrying the precip to the northeast of the updraft..usually the supercell will be moving more ENE or even east. It's part of the reason why they can sustain themselves. They'll have an untainted supply of warm moist air feeding in when that happens. Shear carries precip downstream, away from the updraft LP supercell more or less means that not much rain is falling near the meso..unlike HP supercells which can have rain wrapped tornadoes. This is just a simplistic explanation as their are a lot of other things going on too.

Rain would fall downshear of the updraft. So yes, in theory your idea would be correct. But usually the supercell is moving at least a little to the right of the shear. For instance if the shear was carrying the precip to the northeast of the updraft..usually the supercell will be moving more ENE or even east. It's part of the reason why they can sustain themselves. They'll have an untainted supply of warm moist air feeding in when that happens. Shear carries precip downstream, away from the updraft LP supercell more or less means that not much rain is falling near the meso..unlike HP supercells which can have rain wrapped tornadoes. This is just a simplistic explanation as their are a lot of other things going on too.

Here's a good image to visualize it.

Fig_01.JPG

The updraft is located near and just to the right of the hook echo, so the forward flank precip is falling to the photographers right and behind them in classic/LP cases. When they go HP, then you're basically looking at Pacman, and the only way you see the tornado is to get right in front of it.

Thanks Scott for the explanation.  Several years a picture I took won grand price in Weather Wise magazine.  I won a spot on a tour guide tornado chase team.  We saw several super cells like this, just awesome to see it in person.  Saw 2 tornadoes from several miles away.  I wanted to get closer but for liability they stayed miles away.  I realized chasing is much harder than I thought, being at the right place, at the right time and having roads to travel on.  That was before the days that everyone was doing it.

Was thinking....with El Nino virtually a lock....we have a good shot of an early season snow event. Looking back...Nov '86, '87, '97, 02,'04..etc all had one. I'm sure you can go back further.

2009 as well. Actually '09 had two events. Oct 15-16 and 18.

Yeah I was thinking about those..but wanted to include more overall snow events. We had that nice Dec 5th event too. 

'12-'13 kind of acted like a weak Nino...never officially quite got there, but it made a run. Nov 2012 had that snow event on Nov 6-7th too.

The '68-'69 Nino had a big November for snow. Nov 1972 had a couple snow events too...then the winter went to crap after December, lol. The Ninos of 1965 and 1957 though were awful early on...couldn't get those early season snow events. Often Nino Decembers stink, but you have chances before December...not those years. Just suckage until the pattern turned awesome both years in mid/late January.

2006-2007 was also a total dud early on...though October 2006 was very cold and had some snow chances but never really managed to get anything here in SNE. BUF got their epic October LES event that year though. :lol:

Unfortunately for CT Blizz, the heat wasn't in New England this April. How does NOAA calculate an average world temp for a month out of curiosity? Remote sensing from satellites or on the ground observing stations or both?

April Ties For Hottest Ever On Record For The Globe

SETH BORENSTEINAP05/20/14 06:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) — Once again, the world hit record heat levels. The average global temperature last month tied the hottest April on record four years ago.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Tuesday say last month's average temperature was 58.1 degrees Fahrenheit (14.5 degrees Celsius). That was 1.39 degrees F (0.77 C) warmer than the average last century.The last time the globe's monthly temperature was cooler than normal was February 1985.

NOAA scientist Jessica Blunden said April's heat was driven especially by Siberia and Eurasia. She said the United States and Canada were the few exceptions. Canada was a bit cooler than normal and the United States was a tad warmer than normal.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5360948

Unfortunately for CT Blizz, the heat wasn't in New England this April. How does NOAA calculate an average world temp for a month out of curiosity? Remote sensing from satellites or on the ground observing stations or both?

April Ties For Hottest Ever On Record For The Globe

SETH BORENSTEINAP05/20/14 06:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) — Once again, the world hit record heat levels. The average global temperature last month tied the hottest April on record four years ago.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Tuesday say last month's average temperature was 58.1 degrees Fahrenheit (14.5 degrees Celsius). That was 1.39 degrees F (0.77 C) warmer than the average last century.The last time the globe's monthly temperature was cooler than normal was February 1985.

NOAA scientist Jessica Blunden said April's heat was driven especially by Siberia and Eurasia. She said the United States and Canada were the few exceptions. Canada was a bit cooler than normal and the United States was a tad warmer than normal.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5360948

They calculate it with GHCN data...it is all surface based. GHCN is adjusted data (for things like TOBS and UHI), and then NCDC will take that data and calculate an average anomaly from it. GISS (NASA) essentially does the same thing but they each have their different methods of infilling between datapoints.

They used to use satellite-aided SST data, but they no longer do...they never gave an explanation on why they switched their SST dataset.

They calculate it with GHCN data...it is all surface based. GHCN is adjusted data (for things like TOBS and UHI), and then NCDC will take that data and calculate an average anomaly from it. GISS (NASA) essentially does the same thing but they each have their different methods of infilling between datapoints.

They used to use satellite-aided SST data, but they no longer do...they never gave an explanation on why they switched their SST dataset.

Interesting and good to know, I was wondering if they adjust for UHI, and growing population areas.

Imagine if they all had Kevin's Davis. A cold world, yet unusually high dewpoints.

lol the winter months would be the coldest for the planet on record, while the summer months would be warmest ever recorded...and it would all equal out to annual temps showing no climate change at all.

Archived