Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring

mreaves

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stardot netcam SC 5mp

And yeah, I put the feeders out before work and bring them in during the evening for that reason. The bear came about 5mins after I put them out.

Yeah, That's a nice camera, Up here when guys i know hunt bear, They bait with donuts, The bears have a sweet tooth.......... :)

Noon  62.7F  pretty darn cool for a mostly sunny day, solstice 18 hours away.  Mount Washington only 32F.   Don't know why webcam today seems to have a yellow tint today

Nice bear, Brian.  They are around my property quite a bit but never captured one on the cam yet. Most unusual creature that has been seen in my field was about 10 years ago.  A friend of mine was painting the back of my house in the AM.  I was not home.  Anyhow he saw a deer bounding through the tall grass, heard a deep growl and saw a large cat type creature chasing the deer.  Swears it was a mountain lion, too big for a Bobcat.  Talked about it for months.  Who knows??  Technically NH does not have mountain lions although from time to time people claim to see them.

post-268-0-93427600-1403280109_thumb.jpg

still waiting for that extreme wind video from last summer.

Ha! I forgot about that. I looked at it once last winter and it didn't seem as exciting as it did at the time, lol. But you can still see damage from around town from trees that came down in that July storm. Part of me wants another one, another part of me hated not having power for 3 days.

I'm going to beat a dead horse here, but if Nittany is reading this (or anyone else into climo norms), I'd be curious what the opinion is here.  The climate normals just do not make sense to me, given the location of the sites and the corresponding elevations. 

How the heck does BTV have the same climate as 1V4...one is 400ft higher in elevation (which should get a degree or two), plus in the upper valley 1V4 radiates decently well while BTV is horrific at radiational cooling.  I honestly can't wrap my head around Burlington and Saint Johnsbury having the same climate normals.  Every month it leads to St Johnsbury's departure being like several degrees different from BTV, because, well, St Johnsbury isn't as warm as BTV in reality.  

MVL and MPV puzzles me too...anyone that follows these sites closely knows that MPV comes in slightly colder on average in daytime temps.  They have 500ft more elevation (good for a couple degrees on daytime highs usually) and while MVL radiates well, MPV is usually close and sometimes colder. 

June average temperatures to-date are as follows:

Burlington (330ft)...64.4F

St Johnsbury (700ft)...64.3F

Montpelier (1,200ft)... 61.4F

Morrisville-Stowe (730ft)...61.1F

Actual to-date temperatures:

Burlington...67.3F (+2.9)

St Johnsbury... 63.5F (-0.8)

Morrisville-Stowe...62.9F (+1.8)

Montpelier...61.4 (0.0)

I've been following these temps at these sites for 8 years now and the almost obvious order of sites should be Burlington being a couple degrees warmer than the others.  MVL and 1V4 should be similar, maybe MVL a couple tenths colder due to the better radiational cooling, then MPV should be about a 1-2 degrees colder than those two.

Instead, with some climate normals that just seem hard to understand knowing the sites' elevation, and location in VT with respect to climate... we end up with maps like this with widely varying departures showing St Johnsbury below normal, and BTV well above normal, when in reality they both seem to be about where you would expect their temperatures to be.

I'm going to beat a dead horse here, but if Nittany is reading this (or anyone else into climo norms), I'd be curious what the opinion is here.  The climate normals just do not make sense to me, given the location of the sites and the corresponding elevations. 

How the heck does BTV have the same climate as 1V4...one is 400ft higher in elevation (which should get a degree or two), plus in the upper valley 1V4 radiates decently well while BTV is horrific at radiational cooling.  I honestly can't wrap my head around Burlington and Saint Johnsbury having the same climate normals.  Every month it leads to St Johnsbury's departure being like several degrees different from BTV, because, well, St Johnsbury isn't as warm as BTV in reality.  

MVL and MPV puzzles me too...anyone that follows these sites closely knows that MPV comes in slightly colder on average in daytime temps.  They have 500ft more elevation (good for a couple degrees on daytime highs usually) and while MVL radiates well, MPV is usually close and sometimes colder. 

June average temperatures to-date are as follows:

Burlington (330ft)...64.4F

St Johnsbury (700ft)...64.3F

Montpelier (1,200ft)... 61.4F

Morrisville-Stowe (730ft)...61.1F

Actual to-date temperatures:

Montpelier...61.4 (0.0)

I've been following these temps at these sites for 8 years now and the almost obvious order of sites should be Burlington being a couple degrees warmer than the others.  MVL and 1V4 should be similar, maybe MVL a couple tenths colder due to the better radiational cooling, then MPV should be about a 1-2 degrees colder than those two.

Instead, with some climate normals that just seem hard to understand knowing the sites' elevation, and location in VT with respect to climate... we end up with maps like this with widely varying departures showing St Johnsbury below normal, and BTV well above normal, when in reality they both seem to be about where you would expect their temperatures to be.

attachicon.gifMonthTDeptNRCC.png

You're right, it doesn't make much sense. The only thing I can offer is the absurd nature of St. Johnsbury's obs (4pm-4pm) that could give them a boost in the high temp department. If there's a string of say 4 days at St. Johnsbury...midnight-midnight highs of 86, 79, 85, 78...its possible or even likely that the highs will go down as 86, 86, 85, 85 for those 4 days because the cutoff is right in max heating. This would be reflected in the climate normals and records, but NOT in the F6 LCD's or CLI's issued daily. Those are run off the midnight-midnight ASOS, while the climate normals and records are off the 4pm-4pm SJBV1 COOP obs.

But it doesn't explain the similar "normal" lows.

You're right, it doesn't make much sense. The only thing I can offer is the absurd nature of St. Johnsbury's obs (4pm-4pm) that could give them a boost in the high temp department. If there's a string of say 4 days at St. Johnsbury...midnight-midnight highs of 86, 79, 85, 78...its possible or even likely that the highs will go down as 86, 86, 85, 85 for those 4 days because the cutoff is right in max heating. This would be reflected in the climate normals and records, but NOT in the F6 LCD's or CLI's issued daily. Those are run off the midnight-midnight ASOS, while the climate normals and records are off the 4pm-4pm SJBV1 COOP obs.

But it doesn't explain the similar "normal" lows.

Ahhh that may have something to do with it...like a warm day being counted twice, sort of like a 7am COOP counting a morning low twice.

But still, the average monthly temperatures usually shake out how you would expect knowing climo and the elevations.

Reposted from above, these June temps make sense, while the departures don't, lol. The interior or mtn valley sites being several degrees colder than BTV, with MVL/1V4 similar, then MPV another 1-2F cooler being at 1165ft.

Montpelier...61.4 (0.0)

I wish MVL was the coldest climo site for bragging rights, but i think MPV runs colder even if the long term mean has those two almost identical or even MVL colder.

Ahhh that may have something to do with it...like a warm day being counted twice, sort of like a 7am COOP counting a morning low twice.

But still, the average monthly temperatures usually shake out how you would expect knowing climo and the elevations.

Reposted from above, these June temps make sense, while the departures don't, lol. The interior or mtn valley sites being several degrees colder than BTV, with MVL/1V4 similar, then MPV another 1-2F cooler being at 1165ft.

Montpelier...61.4 (0.0)

I wish MVL was the coldest climo site for bragging rights, but i think MPV runs colder even if the long term mean has those two almost identical or even MVL colder.

Yeah I don't know, its unexplainable lol.

Montpelier...61.4 (0.0)

One thing to note though in regards to the departure with St. Johnsbury. The data you're quoting there is for the midnight-midnight ASOS (63.5F), while using the normal for the 4pm-4pm COOP site (64.3F). So it's really two different data-sets.

FWIW the current mean for the month of June at 4pm-4pm SJBV1 is 64.7F, or +0.4F above the said 4pm-4pm normal of 64.3F.

You'd have to somehow find the normals for only the midnight-midnight ASOS (and NOT the official climate site) to compare the 63.5F you have noted there and on CLI's and F6's. Unfortunately those DO NOT exist yet since the ASOS has only been around since 1998.

NCDC uses SJBV1 in all of its normal calculations, while the F6's and CLI's use ASOS for their current computations but then it still gets compared it to the NCDC normals.

The Saint Johnsbury climate is one big giant mess. We have to manually compute monthly departures or ask the COOP site for them because all of the in-house stuff runs off the unofficial midnight-midnight ASOS readings.

Archived