e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 26th Snowstorm - continued discussion and observations

wxsniss

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds are ripping here in Boston - pretty impressive.  I have a Sensaphone 400 at our summer home in Yarmouth on the Cape and I can hear the winds blasting the windows down there.  And we're on the south side of the cape on Nantucket Sound.  Can't imagine what it sounds like in Yarmouthport to the north.

That death band is wild just offshore... looks like it won't even make it to ACK. 

Yeah, it looks like the low wobbled a little NE/E the last 45 minutes, you can see it on the radar too as instead of expanding west it's mainly SW.  Worse there's a ton of subsidence over a lot of the Cape right now on the other side of it.  The eastern part of ACK is getting ruined right now.

The worst aside of the SE tip seems to be here.  This is the riverview school in sandwich, west of the other images by about 5-10 miles and then Rte 6 as it approaches Sagamore Bridge.  It's pretty wicked here.

post-3232-0-82785700-1395841096_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-85453600-1395841138_thumb.jp

Why is there a car on the road?

The band made it to ACK. It looks like the low is wobbling north now so it'll make a run at the arm of the cape.   Cars are on the road because for the most part this isn't that bad.  It's windy, visibility is low but we're talking a few inches for most so far.  I mean life does go on.

It ended up a little further east than the wetter models advertised IMO and the intensity of that epic band is robbing moisture to the NW of it.   Last best chance coming up the next 90 minutes.

This image was taken a few minutes ago from Barnstable Harbor. The timestamps are messed up.  You're seeing over 1/2, probably about 3/4 of a mile at the top of the frame without much difficulty and that is RIGHT on the north facing beach mid cape.

post-3232-0-34923900-1395841671_thumb.jp

For posterity:

vdERrdg.gif

Great image.  The more intense solutions had that little bend in the precip occurring about 25 miles further north which would have placed the heaviest band over ACK, and over the outercape (IE the extension of precip from almost Block to ACK if shifted north 20-40 miles).

Looks like it wobbled/stalled for that brief moment as it congealed just a little further out.

Great image.  The more intense solutions had that little bend in the precip occurring about 25 miles further north which would have placed the heaviest band over ACK, and over the outercape (IE the extension of precip from almost Block to ACK if shifted north 20-40 miles).

Looks like it wobbled/stalled for that brief moment as it congealed just a little further out.

Might be having radar hallucinations, but it looks to me like the pivot point is setting up south of ACK, and the northern arc of the band is bending back west a bit in the past couple frames. Granted, with the low continuing to bomb out and race NEward, it's hard to imagine there being much more of a westward push with the heaviest precip.

As an aside, a very impressive band about to push ashore over Nova Scotia... http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XGO

I don't know how to capture a loop of the water vapor imagery but it looks awesome

I can't tell the center of the low though...or if there are multiples

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

Bottom line it was a smidge further east northeast than the blend of all models, more towards the weaker/dry models.  NAM was substantially overdone and too far west even at 6z.  The 12z run is finally getting it right.  Best banding isn't going to make it, it misses even the outer cape and we're left with the scraps/OE.

It's impressive, I'm guessing maybe 2" here now will measure on my way out.   But you can see even around Barnstable and Cotuit we're not really dealing with a ground blizzard here aside of in some bands.

post-3232-0-45036300-1395842418_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-57816600-1395842421_thumb.jp

The band made it to ACK. It looks like the low is wobbling north now so it'll make a run at the arm of the cape. Cars are on the road because for the most part this isn't that bad. It's windy, visibility is low but we're talking a few inches for most so far. I mean life does go on.

It ended up a little further east than the wetter models advertised IMO and the intensity of that epic band is robbing moisture to the NW of it. Last best chance coming up the next 90 minutes.

This image was taken a few minutes ago from Barnstable Harbor. The timestamps are messed up. You're seeing over 1/2, probably about 3/4 of a mile at the top of the frame without much difficulty and that is RIGHT on the north facing beach mid cape.

I thought the pic with the car was from Nantucket.

gif

Really shows the dual bands.  Radarscope shows some OE contribution now in the middle of the Cape as winds come more northerly.

I thought the pic with the car was from Nantucket.

It's bad out on Nantucket, most of the Cape...

--

Look closely can see the striations now N to S in the Bay, OE kicking in.  As a comparison most of the photos you see are coming from around Barnstable Harbor on this radar map.  Returns correspond well to the images IMO

post-3232-0-26327400-1395843180_thumb.jp

Archived