Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Big Dud Observations

JoshM

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sprinkles here again, temp about 46. CR, is it pouring clouds?

It was pouring clouds heavily, a few minutes ago. Then it started raining. Now it's just reporting unknown conditions. It's definitely colder though. If it wasn't so warm, it would probably be snowing instead of raining.

It looks like ATL may get in on some flurry action shortly. :) :) What a fall/winter/spring! We have a windy and beautiful 45.3 here in Dunwoody under increasing scattered clouds. This is several degrees colder than the average mid Jan. average high. :)

Aside: Today is the 43rd anniv. of the major ATL icestorm of 3/25/71, the latest on record.

Rainfall has been steady this afternoon. It's a shame this didn't occur overnight before the BL turned to fire. Even if it was cold enough to snow this afternoon it wouldn't have much mattered as it would have essentially been white rain as rates have never really been better than light. As it is, it's 38 with light rain.

It looks like ATL may get in on some flurry action shortly. :) :) What a fall/winter/spring! We have a windy and beautiful 45.3 here in Dunwoody under increasing scattered clouds. This is several degrees colder than the average mid Jan. average high. :)

Aside: Today is the 43rd anniv. of the major ATL icestorm of 3/25/71, the latest on record.

Actually have spotted some flurries here in Roswell a minute ago..judging by radar looks like more flurries headed in..temperature down to 42.4 with strong winds from the NW around 20-30

Asheville got hit by two pretty strong snow squalls. Ground whited out in few minutes and we ended up getting 1/2 inch in 10 minutes before the snow stopped. Sun melted all of that snow away in few minutes too and the day return to calmness as if nothing happened.

Actually have spotted some flurries here in Roswell a minute ago..judging by radar looks like more flurries headed in..temperature down to 42.4 with strong winds from the NW around 20-30

Thanks for the report. I haven't yet seen any here in Dunwoody, but I haven't been looking closely and could have missed something. It will be very interesting if KATL gets flurries today. Why? Because for the period 1930-2013, only 3/12 and 3/25 have had five incidents of a T of SN or IP after 3/8! If KATL gets some today, that would mean the only day during 1930-2002 after 3/8 with six traces, a very odd stat!! If one were to add up the # of days of traces incorporating 3/22-24 and 3/26-31, they'd add to only 6!!

The 3/25 KATL traces: 

1930, 1971, 1972, 1974, and 2013. Will 2014 be added??

Asheville got hit by two pretty strong snow squalls. Ground whited out in few minutes and we ended up getting 1/2 inch in 10 minutes before the snow stopped. Sun melted all of that snow away in few minutes too and the day return to calmness as if nothing happened.

you think that the snow squalls will make into the western piedmont and the triad?

What is this falling from the sky?! It's not sleet and it's not snow. The best way I can describe it is lightweight sleet.

BTW...I'm not trying to be funny. I really don't know what this is. My daughter said "It's sleeting outside". I told her no way and when we opened the door, we couldn't hear the normal sleet noise, yet it isn't rain.

What is this falling from the sky?! It's not sleet and it's not snow. The best way I can describe it is lightweight sleet.

BTW...I'm not trying to be funny. I really don't know what this is. My daughter said "It's sleeting outside". I told her no way and when we opened the door, we couldn't hear the normal sleet noise, yet it isn't rain.

graupel?

graupel?

THAT'S what it's called. I kept saying "Verbatim" and when I looked it up, I was like "Um. no. Wrong word.". lol! Yes, I bet that was it. It wasn't as big as it looks in the pictures that I have pulled up on Google, but I bet that was it. If it was graupel, it was tiny graupel. Cool...now I can say I've seen graupel. 

How strong are the winds supposed to get this evening? There are still a lot of leaning trees and with the wet grounds, I'm wondering if some may fall. Also, I'm wondering if the winds will come before or after the rain or snow (I see bands that look like they may make it here). With temps falling into the 20's tonight, could we see black ice?

Archived