wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
3-24 to 3-26 possible winter storm?

Rankin5150

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the 500mb height with wind map on WxBell, there's a nice wind max that accompanies the diving wave...so there's a good bit of energy diving down, it's just so darn late and east

It's a real shame actually, cause it's close to being bigger for us, but yet it's so far away, LOL.  Today's runs were definitely good for the NE, NYC and points NE.

Euro get's it down to 952 east of the BM.  If this get's anymore west for them, it could be really bad, like roof collapsing, buildings knocked over bad.

We are starting to get inside of ensemble range, but the 12z GEFS mean looks better than last night's 00z GEFS.

I haven't seen the individual members, but this doesn't look too bad.  It's 3 mb stronger and further west by ~50 miles from last night's run.

x1eo0o.png

2rgyfyo.png

I think the upside is a light/moderate event, but it's late March, so whatever is fine.

RAH afternoon AFD

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...
AS OF 245 PM SATURDAY...

...STILL A CHANCE FOR SOME WINTER WEATHER ON TUESDAY MORNING BUT
FORECAST CONFIDENCE IN THE EXACT DETAILS REMAINS BELOW AVERAGE...

TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT: STILL BELOW AVERAGE CONFIDENCE IN THE
POTENTIAL WINTER WEATHER EVENT FOR TUESDAY AS CYCLOGENESIS OFF THE
SE COAST MERGES WITH UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CONTAINING SEVERAL SHORT
WAVES IN THE VICINITY OF THE VA AND THE CAROLINAS. THE LATEST RUN OF
THE GFS STILL HAS A MORE PROGRESSIVE LOW THAT INTERACTS WITH THE
UPPER TROUGH...PRODUCING AN INTENSE BAND OF PRECIPITATION ACROSS
CENTRAL NC ROUGHLY BETWEEN 9 AND 15Z TUESDAY. THE ECMWF SOLUTION IS
MUCH SLOWER AND THUS THERE IS NO INTERACTION BETWEEN THE COASTAL LOW
AND THE SHORTWAVES TO THE NORTHWEST. THIS PRODUCES A MINIMUM OF
PRECIPIATION OVER CENTRAL NC. AS IN MOST CASES...THE TRUTH MOST
LIKELY IS SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN. WPC NOTED IN THEIR PRELIMINARY
DISCUSSION THAT THE GFS COULD BE CONTAMINATED BY A BIT OF FEEDBACK
CAUSING IT TO BE OVERDONE AND THE OPERATIONAL ECMWF MIGHT BE TOO
SLOW AS THE EC ENSEMBLE MEAN WAS A LITTLE FASTER. THEREFORE WILL
SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE IN THE SOLUTIONS WITH PRECIPITATION BEGINNING
IN THE SOUTHWEST AROUND 9Z WITH A GOOD PORTION OF THE CWA
PRECIPITATING BY 12Z. BASED ON FORECAST SOUNDINGS THE BEST CHANCE
FOR SNOW WILL BE NORTH OF HWY 64 BETWEEN 9 AND 12Z AS MODEL FORECAST
SOUNDINGS SHOW VERY STRONG OMEGA THROUGH THE ICE NUCLEATION ZONE AT
THIS TIME. SOUTH OF 64 AND EAST OF I-95 EXPECT A CHANCE FOR RAIN OR
SNOW BEFORE 12Z TRANSITIONING TO ALL RAIN BETWEEN 12 AND 15Z. EXPECT
ALL AREAS TO TRANSITION TO RAIN BY 18Z. FORECAST SOUNDINGS LEAVE
LITTLE ROOM FOR ANY OTHER P-TYPES OTHER THAN RAIN OR SNOW AS LOW
LEVELS STAY ABOVE FREEZING UNTIL AFTER THE PRECIPITATION MOVES OUT
TO THE NORTHEAST...ENDING EVERYWHERE AROUND 00Z.

TEMPERATURES HAVE BEEN TRENDING WARMER IN THE MODELS AND NOW SUPPORT
HIGHS IN THE LOW TO MID 40S ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON. AFTER THE FRONTAL
SYSTEM MOVES THOUGH EXPECT LOWS TUESDAY NIGHT TO DIVE BACK BELOW
FREEZING...MID 20S NW TO NEAR 30 IN THE SOUTHEAST. IN ADDITION
NORTHWESTERLY WINDS WILL REMAIN STRONG TUESDAY NIGHT GUSTING TO 20
KTS OR SO...GIVING ROADS A CHANCE TO DRY OUT. THERE STILL WILL BE
THE POTENTIAL FOR BLACK ICE IN PARTICULARLY WET SPOTS WEDNESDAY
MORNING.

as others has stated the nw trend won't do much for nc because its when the trough goes negative around va and dc thats when you start to see the nw trend... we need the trough to go neg earlier for it to benefit us down here... which anything is possible... i believe the writing will be on the wall tonight after the 0z runs as far as track and intesity... and also this season the storms have trended south within the 24-36 hr frame will be interesting to see if that trend continues with this storm... if you try to pinpoint all the variable with this storm it would drive you insane... ima wait and let the radar do the talking 

Well, it's March and we're dealin with alot of energy and dynamics. Alot can still change. Think back to March '93 and how different things verified versus expectations just 2 days out. I'm not saying that's what I expect, but a lot of options are still on the table.

TW

Well, it's March and we're dealin with alot of energy and dynamics. Alot can still change. Think back to March '93 and how different things verified versus expectations just 2 days out. I'm not saying that's what I expect, but a lot of options are still on the table.

TW

Agreed, it could still be anything from 2-4" of snow for a lot of folks to nothing, but trends were better today.

Agreed guys.  I think this has a greater chance of trending a little better than it does the other way...of course, better may not be much.  One thing to consider from a weenie point of view as well is that models often underplay the precip expanse on the north and west side of the precip shield.  If we get the UKMet and GFS look, I could certainly see precip breaking out in central and east TN / N AL&GA before working east. 

Looks like to me that the 12z Euro Ensemble is lock in step with it's previous run...i.e. well off the coast.

Agreed guys.  I think this has a greater chance of trending a little better than it does the other way...of course, better may not be much.  One thing to consider from a weenie point of view as well is that models often underplay the precip expanse on the north and west side of the precip shield.  If we get the UKMet and GFS look, I could certainly see precip breaking out in central and east TN / N AL&GA before working east. 

Looks like to me that the 12z Euro Ensemble is lock in step with it's previous run...i.e. well off the coast.

Isn't that what happened in late Jan? ATL had not been progged to get much at all. However, in order to see much, I'd want to see the energy dig more/well west of here and provide moist WSW flow/pop an actual Miller A . You see any chance? I'm giving it at least til Doc speaks at 2 am. Chances are low as of now but not yet zero.

Uh oh. The gfs is flat and out to sea.

Yep. The fact that it doesn't slam New England makes me believe it is wrong, though. :lol:

Based on mid-levels, it would be a nice hit for NE NC like Elizabeth City, but surface temperatures probably suck out there.

The 15z SREF came in much wetter than prior runs, but there might be some crazy amped rainers in there skewing the mean for all I know. The SREF at this range is fairly useless, anyways.

When the RGEM kills it, I'm out. Until then, no need to throw in the towel.

Agree, but the setup has trended less favorable over the past 72hrs, unsure if there is enough wiggle to correct for a rare late March winterwx event.  12z EC ens mean is pretty bleak for RDU and PGV, similar to past runs, splitting 1/2" vs the 2-4" we saw a couple days ago.  I do not see any UL mechanism which amplifies the surface wave coming out of the gulf, this will be late, track just outside the BM, maybe clipping NE.  Not quite ready to throw in the late March towel, thickness is borderline for RWI to ECG, even back to RDU.  Energy in question enters CONUS around Glacier National Park which is a preferred point for the southern MA Coastal Plain, cross polar flow is in place, which is the key ingredient getting SN dominant type here. Will this event perform, unsure.  By perform we are talking 2-4 wet inches, late March, climo and thickness are trending towards no.  If the slp can wrap up earlier, aided by the polar air (delta T) on the backside, we may have something.

The WxBell experimental ECMWF Interim WRF-ARW 10km has the low bombing by 72hrs basically if you interesect two lines, one from the FL panhandle and one from E NC. 12z Euro ensemble members as a group too a minimal western jog but it's noticeable. Bombing early is the goal here, it needs to get wound up before it passes NC OBX.

Archived