• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
3-24 to 3-26 possible winter storm?

Rankin5150

I wonder how much falls from hr 24-30 on the UKMET. I would suppose there is some, though Plymouth only has six-hour precip available every 12 hours, so you miss half the time.

Going to have to wait until meteocentre updates in an hour.  All models have come in a tick west and wetter, at this range the RGEM is tough to beat.  It's got snow for your area 1" or so.  2m to warm for RDU.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To bad precip doesn't come in 6 hours earlier, would be definitely snow, possibly accumulating on grass/deck.  We couldn't time this any worse.  But, at least the kids won't miss another day of school, then in itself makes me glad this will be a non event for us.  If temps can stay around 35F I think we will see snow, if it's 40F, forget it.

Par for the course.

Par for the course.

Yep, not shocked at all, RDU's luck will turn eventually…maybe not in the next 50 years, but eventually.  The GGEM map I posted above is at noon, if that was at 6am we would have quite a mess on our hands for the morning commute, which is good, kids can't miss anymore school, it's getting ridiculous now.

Yep, not shocked at all, RDU's luck will turn eventually…maybe not in the next 50 years, but eventually.  The GGEM map I posted above is at noon, if that was at 6am we would have quite a mess on our hands for the morning commute, which is good, kids can't miss anymore school, it's getting ridiculous now.

Yeah, my son has been out 9 days. I don't ever recall missing that many days of school (although, that's probably just bad memory), growing up in Burlington. We had some decent winters too....better than this one.

Well, we often do see the precip arrive earlier (and leave earlier) than forecasted in these sorts of situations.  If that were the case, it would likely help us.  I know, I know... wishcasting...

Yeah, my son has been out 9 days. I don't ever recall missing that many days of school (although, that's probably just bad memory), growing up in Burlington. We had some decent winters too....better than this one.

It is puzzling how Wake County has managed to miss nine days of school for less than 6" of snow.  That's ridiculous.

Even out here, we were out of school for over a week after January 2000, so I bet Raleigh was out even longer, BTW.

Only time I remember missing endless days of school was Feb/March 87, I was in Winston, it snowed like every other week, and a lot.

Well, we often do see the precip arrive earlier (and leave earlier) than forecasted in these sorts of situations.  If that were the case, it would likely help us.  I know, I know... wishcasting...

It is puzzling how Wake County has managed to miss nine days of school for less than 6" of snow.  That's ridiculous.

I think anything before 10am will be snow for RDU, probably 1pm for your area, currently most models for RDU have precip coming after noon.

To bad precip doesn't come in 6 hours earlier, would be definitely snow, possibly accumulating on grass/deck. We couldn't time this any worse. But, at least the kids won't miss another day of school, then in itself makes me glad this will be a non event for us. If temps can stay around 35F I think we will see snow, if it's 40F, forget it.

I got two snows to stick on grass and cars last winter with temps 41-43 both times! I'm looking for sprinkles at best!

I got two snows to stick on grass and cars last winter with temps 41-43 both times! I'm looking for sprinkles at best!

Must have had good rates, I can see mid 30's with accumulating snow, at least for around here.  For central NC it's fairly cold aloft...

GFS_3_2014032412_F27_36.0000N_79.5000W.p

James or packbaker, do you have the Euro yet?

Yes….mtns do very well, as does Mt. Airy and ROA.  And of course the MA, the snow capital of the universe is 3-4".  Central NC get's precip holed, LOL.   To be honest, this is kind of what I though the event would look like a few days ago, western NC up through the MA the jackpot, just thought it would be more precip due to coastal.

ecmwf_tsnow_nc_8.png

ecmwf_tprecip_nc_8.png

Yes….mtns do very well, as does Mt. Airy and ROA.  And of course the MA, the snow capital of the universe is 3-4".  Central NC get's precip holed, LOL.

ecmwf_tsnow_nc_8.png

ecmwf_tprecip_nc_8.png

Thanks.  I thought that it may have trended wetter for us based on what I read about the mid-atlantic moisture in the other subforums.  Oh well.

Thanks.  I thought that it may have trended wetter for us based on what I read about the mid-atlantic moisture in the other subforums.  Oh well.

You can see the precip line for the coastal, running down 95, need it about 25-50 miles west for RDU and 100 miles west for you guys, from the coastal.  Eh…at least it won't be another cold deluge, that's a big plus for me at least.

So, we get down to freezing tonight, it warms to 40F, precip comes in, we drop back down to well below freezing after the precip is gone.

Wake County missed like three or four days for each of the bigger snow events.  After the first one we didn't get above freezing for 48 hrs and dipped down to 7 degrees, so obviously the snow was slow to melt.

We had a pretty good winter here in Raleigh, but not a great one.  It was good if you compare it to the last two winters, which were horrible, snow-wise.  But we were pretty close to average here in Raleigh.  Our two big snows were 2-4 inches each (varied in different parts of the city) and then we saw a couple of other storms that gave us a dusting to a coating of snow.

BTW, what location is leading NC in snowfall for this winter?  Elizabeth City?

Yeah, the Euro is a solid event for the mountains and foothills. It backed off a little for GSO with the band hanging out in the mountains and foothills, but we are within like 15 miles of 2" on the clown. The 2" line runs through Winston-Salem.

Chalk it up to the Euro being too far N/W, per par, and call it 2-4" here. :lol::weenie:

(I'm kidding, BTW)

In all seriousness, it wouldn't surprise me if this is yet another event where I wish I lived another 10 miles N/W.

Yeah, the Euro is a solid event for the mountains and foothills. It backed off a little for GSO with the band hanging out in the mountains and foothills, but we are within like 15 miles of 2" on the clown. The 2" line runs through Winston-Salem.

Chalk it up to the Euro being too far N/W, per par, and call it 2-4" here. :lol::weenie:

(I'm kidding, BTW)

In all seriousness, it wouldn't surprise me if this is yet another event where I wish I lived another 10 miles N/W.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone between 85-77 gets in a nice band of 3-4", between Reidsville to Roxboro possibly.

ncweather jackpots again?

Another "typical suspects" storm.  :pimp:

Roxboro has done really well this year.  I would have to think they average about the same as GSO, but I think ncweather has had like 23" of snow this year (GSO has 15-16").  Roxboro has been jackpotting on almost every marginal event, it seems.

Possibly...18z NAM coming in good deal west, someone is going to get 18z NAM'd, probably central/No-VA

January 2000 repeat inbound... :weenie:  :lol:

If BL temperatures weren't awful (and they are awful there... in the 40s), the NAM would have just destroyed coastal NC.

The Delmarva peninsula gets crushed.  I need to move to Ocean City, MD for significant snow in late March, I guess.

It's actually in general a better run for most.  It looks Euroish for the western half of NC (though not quite as potent).

Beware of the inverted trough again guys! Its no accident the ECMWF is beefing up totals in the WNC mountains overnight into tomorrow morning. Advisory criteria snowfall over the mountains is certainly possible. 

In contrast, I am not bullish about those further east into the midlands and points eastward. That boundary layer in late March will be too much to overcome with only marginal 850 hPa temperatures. Rates won't be high enough to overcome the solar insolation. 

If BL temperatures weren't awful (and they are awful there... in the 40s), the NAM would have just destroyed coastal NC.

The Delmarva peninsula gets crushed.  I need to move to Ocean City, MD for significant snow in late March, I guess.

It's actually in general a better run for most.  It looks Euroish for the western half of NC.

Yes, this could be a big run for NYC to BOS.    

LOL.  GSP has turned the event (my neck of the woods) into a "Nevermind", today.

It has been 'gradual' over the last few days.  50% chance of rain (.1") before 3pm, high of 52.

That's been the trend last couple weeks.

Might have to drive to S Maine tomorrow?  8-10 hrs.?

Anybody checking those boards?  

Archived