joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3-24 to 3-26 possible winter storm?

Rankin5150

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brad P has his call map out for tomorrow early morning. I like what he's thinking for Hickory.

pPluNiG.jpg

I'm all in for the trace !!! It will be here in the morning hours, may help slightly!? I honestly would be shocked if I saw a flurry! If I saw flurries on March 25, then go back to Wed before Thanksgiving snow and everything in between , this winter has been all that and a bag of chips! :)

The 00z NAM backed off from its higher rainfall amounts in E NC.  It also doesn't show as much precip in southern NC.  Nevertheless, it looks about the same for NW NC.  Looks like a quick-hitter with probably fairly decent rates (whether it's rain or snow).  It moves into GSO at around 12z (8 AM) and continues until around 17z (1 PM).  Looks like surface temperatures are in the low to mid 30s with a couple tenths of precipitation.  All-in.  The mountains look good.

Central VA looks really nice.

At least the sun angle won't be as bad since this is mostly a morning/mid-morning event.  One could maybe even argue for a faster arrival.  Still, ground temperatures are warm and we'll need rates to get sticking.  The roads should be fine.  I doubt the driveway will even get covered, even if by some miracle we got a couple inches of snow (realistically, the best-case scenario is probably a coating).  I am scared the BL will completely ruin this, but the timing isn't that bad in W NC with precip arriving around or just before dawn.  I don't know...

-----------

BTW, WxSouth (Robert) posted this a couple hours ago:

https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth

Updated forecast and snowmap at www.wxsouth.com for monthly subscribers. This is the general zone to watch. Around middle of the night, the moisture and vertical velocities increase suddenly in north Georgia, eastern TN and the western Carolinas, spreading into central Carolinas and central and western Virginia just after dawn. The time of day will preclude much snow on the ground, but some flakes are possible even along Interstate 40 tomorrow, as a cold pool at the surface and aloft works in tandem with moisture moving quickly east through VA and the Carolinas. I'm also watching for the chance extreme eastern VA, southeast MD, Delaware and northeast NC will switch from rain to snow right at the end of the storm tomorrow night. Much more detail and snow maps at the site.
Looks like a 1 to2" snow n the mountains of NC, from Sylva, Cullowhee, Asheville possibly up to 3" Boone, Blowing Rock to Blacksburg and Charlottesville. Get east of there in the piedmont of VA and NC and it's dicey in Farmville, Danville, Greensboro to HIckory where temps will be slightly warmer at the surface. Close call no matter how you cut it...but not a huge snow anywhere, except possibly Cape Cod, eastern Maine. Just a novelty for late March. The bigger deal is the temperature plunge all over the Southeast the next couple of days. Hopefully the last of the snow threats this long Winter season...although I have a hunch it won't be for the mountains.

1970815_806472329382824_652910199_n.jpg

Living on the edge as usual around here, ha.

It's down to 40/17 here as of 10 PM with a wet bulb of 32.4.

Archived