northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for this to start coming west now. Not all at once, but at least stop the ticks S and E.

Well gfs hasnt ticked s and e really. If anything it was way se before yesterdays run, then ticked nw yesterday but the euro ticked se last night. Anyway you slice it, theres been alot of ticking going on....and if euro doesnt tick nw today theres gonna be a number of folks ticked off.

Tick, tick, tick

12z GFS

06z GFS

There can be no further dispute that the storm ticked east this run.  Time is running out for an easterly solution.  I give one more day before mass towel tossing.

The shift was meaningless in the context of where we are right now. But you certainly wouldn't want to see that like 4 or 5 runs in a row.

Scrapers at this time range are managable...if we start getting full whiffs though this cycle and 00z tonight, then I think its a problem.

Correct. Everything moving too fast west to east in upper levels and even the bombing system gets it's act together too slowly. We'll see if this is a trend.

All anyone needs to know.

Matches the overall tenor of the season quite well, and I expect no different.

We've had a couple of rainers, now its time for a whiff before spring starts.

All anyone needs to know.

Matches the overall tenor of the season quite well, and I expect no different.

We've had a couple of rainers, now its time for a whiff before spring starts.

We had a couple of whiffs to the south too, don't forget the St. Patties day mess.  DC was loving that one.  

Good point on the early timeframe, just pointing out the slight tick.  I'm really, really hoping for a big one to close out the season, but my gut makes me nervous...

We had a couple of whiffs to the south too, don't forget the St. Patties day mess.  DC was loving that one.  

Good point on the early timeframe, just pointing out the slight tick.  I'm really, really hoping for a big one to close out the season, but my gut makes me nervous...

3/3 whiffed south as well.

We've been on a cold streak...but those systems have nothing to do with this one thankfully. Nuances in the flow will decide the fate of this storm.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1158 AM EDT FRI MAR 21 2014

VALID 12Z MON MAR 24 2014 - 12Z FRI MAR 28 2014

...OVERVIEW AND PREFERENCES...

THE EARLY/MIDDLE PART OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED BY A CNTRL-ERN CONUS COLD SURGE AND RAPID/DEEP WRN ATLC SFC DEVELOPMENT BOTH SUFFICIENTLY EXTREME FOR LATE MARCH TO BE OBSERVED TYPICALLY ONLY ONCE EVERY 10-20 YEARS. MEANWHILE THE EWD PROGRESSION OF AN ERN PAC TROUGH BRINGING A PERIOD OF UNSETTLED WEATHER TO THE WRN-CNTRL STATES WILL ENCOURAGE A RAPID MODERATION DOWNSTREAM SO THAT BY NEXT FRI AN UNUSUALLY LARGE PORTION OF THE LOWER 48 SHOULD SEE TEMPS FAIRLY CLOSE TO NORMAL.

INTO DAY 6 THU... RECENT CONTINUITY AND/OR TRENDS PROVIDE GOOD SUPPORT TO THE LATEST MAJORITY CLUSTER OF THE 00Z/06Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF/ECMWF MEAN FOR THE MON-WED ERN CONUS TROUGH EVOLUTION/RAPID WRN ATLC SFC DEVELOPMENT AS WELL AS THE ERN PAC TROUGH MOVING THROUGH THE WEST INTO THE PLAINS. BY DAY 7 FRI THE 06Z GFS BECOMES SLOWER THAN CONSENSUS WITH BOTH THE TROUGH REACHING THE CNTRL CONUS AND UPSTREAM TROUGH BEGINNING TO AMPLIFY OVER THE ERN PAC... FAVORING ITS EXCLUSION BY THAT TIME..."

I am sure there are some objective minds amongst us, who can see the darkly humorous connotation of a 1 in a 20 year WHIFF 

ba hahahhaha

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1158 AM EDT FRI MAR 21 2014

VALID 12Z MON MAR 24 2014 - 12Z FRI MAR 28 2014

...OVERVIEW AND PREFERENCES...

THE EARLY/MIDDLE PART OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED BY A CNTRL-ERN CONUS COLD SURGE AND RAPID/DEEP WRN ATLC SFC DEVELOPMENT BOTH SUFFICIENTLY EXTREME FOR LATE MARCH TO BE OBSERVED TYPICALLY ONLY ONCE EVERY 10-20 YEARS. MEANWHILE THE EWD PROGRESSION OF AN ERN PAC TROUGH BRINGING A PERIOD OF UNSETTLED WEATHER TO THE WRN-CNTRL STATES WILL ENCOURAGE A RAPID MODERATION DOWNSTREAM SO THAT BY NEXT FRI AN UNUSUALLY LARGE PORTION OF THE LOWER 48 SHOULD SEE TEMPS FAIRLY CLOSE TO NORMAL.

INTO DAY 6 THU... RECENT CONTINUITY AND/OR TRENDS PROVIDE GOOD SUPPORT TO THE LATEST MAJORITY CLUSTER OF THE 00Z/06Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF/ECMWF MEAN FOR THE MON-WED ERN CONUS TROUGH EVOLUTION/RAPID WRN ATLC SFC DEVELOPMENT AS WELL AS THE ERN PAC TROUGH MOVING THROUGH THE WEST INTO THE PLAINS. BY DAY 7 FRI THE 06Z GFS BECOMES SLOWER THAN CONSENSUS WITH BOTH THE TROUGH REACHING THE CNTRL CONUS AND UPSTREAM TROUGH BEGINNING TO AMPLIFY OVER THE ERN PAC... FAVORING ITS EXCLUSION BY THAT TIME..."

I am sure there are some objective minds amongst us, who can see the darkly humorous connotation of a 1 in a 20 year WHIFF 

ba hahahhaha

Largest late-season event since 1997, and it will whiff.

Fitting ending to the season, as we segue to tulips shortly thereafter....

I'm not at all sold on a whiff and it's way too early for anyone else to be. We're missing by 40-50 miles on a. D5 prog folks.

Its not a determinstic conclusion based upon the current pantheon of guidance.

Its a hedge based upon the adverse undertone that this season has assumed, as well as its propensity to deconstruct tightly wound potential.

Looks like a whiff to me outside of Cape Cod, and it's moving east with the rest of guidance so far

Ok I'll consider the foot it dumps on me a whiff. And we're at d5 so guidance may be moving east but ukmet not and euro not in yet and even the old nogaps is west. You're jumping to conclusions based on little information.

Its not a determinstic conclusion based upon the current pantheon of guidance.

Its a hedge based upon the adverse undertone that this season has assumed, as well as its propensity to deconstruct tightly wound potential.

This season, it seems like that is a good call.  Not sure there is any clear scientific reasoning behind it on my end, but man, we have missed out on a lot of potential.

I am more optimistic about this puppy though

The ggem is still a nice thump for eastern areas, very nice actually. It trended east from its prior run though. I don't know what the dispute is about

The dispute is probably that some are jumping to conclusions based on little data and large error bars....basically bad science.

This isn't speaking for everyone though...some are leaning one way or the other...a more conservative approach like that is usually the way to go at this time range.

We actually haven't had a model run whiff New England yet on this 12z suite. So I certainly wouldn't be ruling out anything.

Archived