joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE's Revenge....We're back bi**ches! 3/12-13 discussion

mreaves

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is like an elongated low that is sort of trying to develop but getting shunted SE with time. Euro is too, but the GFS almost moreso.

Look at how the 700mb low just sort of meanders across NE NY and C VT. With some upslope assist in the Greens I bet that would produce some pretty sweet fluff in the CCB. 

0z RGEM was not as good here as the 18z run was, It is what it is

Kind of funny how both sets are remaining stubborn. I'd probably give in to the RGEM/Euro too, but the one thing giving me pause is the lack of deepening and the tendency for this too be pushed SE with time. I mean the low does not deepen much east of PA and WAA isn't as strong...the euro does deepen it a bit more with stronger WAA. It probably helped to have this so disjointed too. It will be interesting to see if the euro holds. 

The GFS does have some unrealistic cold on Thursday. It keeps BOS in the mid to upper teens in the afternoon. :lol:

I'm thinking the low 20s the Euro has is a bit more believable....but still, even though it's not as fun as the big snows for most, the cold Thursday will be ridiculous for this time of year. The midnight highs prevent record low max temps.

Below to near zero cold mid day in March for a large chunk of NNE Ny state real estate is very impressive. With winds too.Wow

Reminds me of the day after 3/8/05 flash freeze storm. I think we had a high of like 17 with absolutely brutal winds. Can't imagine how nasty it felt up in the mountains that day.

Thursday will be similar.

it satisfies a lot of your fetishes in 48 hours

Nah, the seasonal trend is to push everything SE...N VT will get marginal warning amounts. This should hit the areas that have been hit all year.

Just teasing powderfreak :lol: ....but this is exhibit A of why persistence forecasting is not taught....because you will get completely burnt eventually. Climo is pretty powerful. This one has looked pretty damned good for NNE almost the whole way.

So with all the rain and crashing temps, anyone think SNE is in for at least advisories? Seems like flash freezing on roadways, Thurs. AM rushhour, no?

Sent from my VS980 4G

The flash freeze is pretty dependent on how much low level moisture is still around when temps crash. Some guidance is much more bullish than others. If it goes to a 1-2 hour period of moderate/heavy sleet/snow as it crashes and then drags on another several hours with steady light snow...then its going to be a nightmare....but if its like that 3-4 mile vis snow with drying low levels for hours, then a lot of moisture will evaporate and the situation will be much more managable.

GFS is def the worst. Euro was actually pretty nasty too...esp N of the pike. 00z NAM wasn't impressive at all.

The flash freeze is pretty dependent on how much low level moisture is still around when temps crash. Some guidance is much more bullish than others. If it goes to a 1-2 hour period of moderate/heavy sleet/snow as it crashes and then drags on another several hours with steady light snow...then its going to be a nightmare....but if its like that 3-4 mile vis snow with drying low levels for hours, then a lot of moisture will evaporate and the situation will be much more managable.

GFS is def the worst. Euro was actually pretty nasty too...esp N of the pike. 00z NAM wasn't impressive at all.

Yeah,GFS has one frame of .5 stuff at 33hrs (9z thurs) with the MLs already around -8. Gonna be hard for me to sleep through that evolution! I noticed too that the NAM has that ULL going overhead on Thurs with what appears to my weenie eyes as light snow and -20 at 850? I mean, some of those temps you mentioned earlier for BOS on Thurs. are just amazing. Argueably, Thurs. seems like one of the coldest days of the season factoring in the winds!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

meh for here but could be fun for a couple hours.. would love a trend colder today but I think hope of that is fading fast never know this year though

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
408 AM EDT WED MAR 12 2014

...FLASH FREEZE FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST TONIGHT AS RAIN
TRANSITIONS TO SNOW ALONG WITH A BRIEF PERIOD OF SLEET/FREEZING
RAIN POSSIBLE...

CTZ002>004-MAZ004>019-026-RIZ001>005-121615-
/O.EXB.KBOX.WW.Y.0012.140313T0200Z-140313T1600Z/
HARTFORD CT-TOLLAND CT-WINDHAM CT-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-
CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-
WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-
EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-
SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-
NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-
NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-
SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-
BRISTOL RI-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...UNION...
VERNON...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...BARRE...FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...
LOWELL...LAWRENCE...GLOUCESTER...CHESTERFIELD...BLANDFORD...
AMHERST...NORTHAMPTON...SPRINGFIELD...MILFORD...WORCESTER...
FOXBORO...NORWOOD...CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...QUINCY...TAUNTON...
BROCKTON...PLYMOUTH...AYER...FOSTER...SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...
WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK...BRISTOL
408 AM EDT WED MAR 12 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON EDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON EDT THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...MOST OF MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND EXCEPT FOR
THE IMMEDIATE SOUTH COAST. THE ADVISORY ALSO INCLUDES NORTHERN
CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...RAIN TRANSITIONS TO SNOW TONIGHT. A BRIEF PERIOD
OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 2 INCHES IN MOST
LOCATIONS. 2 TO 4 INCH SNOW AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE NORTH OF ROUTE
2. ICE ACCRETION OF A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...STEADY RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION FROM WEST TO
EAST THIS AFTERNOON. THE RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW FROM NORTHWEST
TO SOUTHEAST BETWEEN 10 PM AND 4 AM. A BRIEF PERIOD OF SLEET AND
FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE DURING THE TRANSITION. SNOW SHOWERS
WILL CONTINUE THURSDAY MORNING BEFORE TAPERING OFF DURING THE
AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...THE MAIN CONCERN IS FOR A FLASH FREEZE AS TEMPERATURES
PLUMMET INTO THE TEENS AND LOWER 20S. ROADS MAY QUICKLY FREEZE
OVER AS COLDER AIR QUICKLY RUSHES INTO THE REGION. A SMALL SNOW
ACCUMULATION MAY HIDE SOME OF THE ICE. THE THURSDAY MORNING RUSH
HOUR MAY BE ICY.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE TEENS TO LOWER 20S BY EARLY
THURSDAY MORNING.

I'm surprised to see the timing of wintry precip in the Franklin County WWA.  Methinks it's a little aggressive.

LOCATIONS...FRANKLIN COUNTY IN MASSACHUSETTS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...STEADY RAIN OVERSPREADS THE REGION LATER THIS MORNING AND AFTERNOON. THE RAIN WILL THEN CHANGE TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN BY LATE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING. THE PRECIPITATION WILL THEN CHANGE TO ALL SNOW BY MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS THURSDAY MORNING AND END DURING THE AFTERNOON.

was actually a pleasant drive across southern Canada yesterday afternoon, felt like spring in the air, even as I left Ottawa.

as I reached the border, the first sign of trouble, 2 flashing signs reading:

MAJOR WINTER STORM WED-THURS

PLAN AHEAD.

lol.

when I got to walmart, it was amazing to see the entire aisle full of water completely ransacked except for a few tea flavored water....yikes! salt was going at a premium at a couple of local stores.

So Im locked and loaded in Burlington, Vermont for this one. Where I live in St albans is terrible for parking on main street, so I really had no choice but to come to Btown and ride out the storm, otherwise my car is as good as buried by the plows (had enough of that during the feb  storm), or towed unless I move it every so often, which I had enough of during the ice storm in December thank you very much. comfortably parked in a friends driveway right now and I don't work until Friday.

looks like they are expecting 3-6 in Ottawa enough to freshen the glacier lol... and 8-12 in montreal, but Vermont is the big winner for once haha

00z ECM holds and actually got wetter up here. Decent area of 1.8-2" in VT over to NNH/BML/ME MTNS. 1.75-2" includes myself, JSpin, mreeves, cardinal, the Lyndon guys, Allenson, hitman, etc. That's fairly impressive for the Op ECM so close in.

There's going to be some good banding. Nice stuff out west by ORD to DTW. QPF seems to be there with ORD/Chicago area with 0.5"+ melted precip in 6-hours as snow. ORD picked up 0.2"/hr fall rates as snow, so the atmosphere seems to have some juice in the cold sector too.

Archived