joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE's Revenge....We're back bi**ches! 3/12-13 discussion

mreaves

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

epic fail for the GFS.  A miserable morning.

GFS is really untrustworthy.  Haven't followed but I'm going to bet the RGEM/Euro combo would have been much closer to the truth than the GFS.  Worked well down here most times this year. 

May put a hold on the ski trip, nothing like skiing at 40 mph into wind drive ice pellets.

i'm starting to worry more about a period of ZR here.

You might be ripe for that between about 21-03z...though it gets awfully cold quickly around 03z so its probably going to sleet pretty quick during that time.

Might get a 30-31 icing scenario for a time before that. Low level cold is the one thing that generally tends to be under-modeled though, so I could see a scenario where some icing gets a lot further south than what models had...it will be interesting to watch.

i'm starting to worry more about a period of ZR here.

The 12z euro had ZR for you yesterday based on a crude look on thicknesses and temps. It did look like IP would be more of an overall threat...but if that warm tongue is stronger than first thought yesterday..maybe those areas like Chris mentioned might have an issue. I do think the temps below 925 will crash pretty hard...but maybe a narrow area has ZR

I think the important thing to note is temps/dews across and along the international border. I just wrote about it in my AFD update.

They're both dropping as the cold front presses south. Not just the Champlain Valley, but the Northeast Kingdom too. We'll see how far this can ooze south today.

I think the important thing to note is temps/dews across and along the international border. I just wrote about it in my AFD update.

They're both dropping as the cold front presses south. Not just the Champlain Valley, but the Northeast Kingdom too. We'll see how far this can ooze south today.

Further west....PEO (Penn Yan) +SN 1/4 mi, ROC, BUF, DSW all +SN 1/4 mile and ITH 34F and -RA....I miss the Ithaca snow hole. Looks like it might stay static too for a while before things finalyl crash SE a bit.

I may have taken a gorge plunge if I was there today. :lol:

Further west....PEO (Penn Yan) +SN 1/4 mi, ROC, BUF, DSW all +SN 1/4 mile and ITH 34F and -RA....I miss the Ithaca snow hole. Looks like it might stay static too for a while before things finalyl crash SE a bit.

I may have taken a gorge plunge if I was there today. :lol:

Vintage ITH. They have a north wind too. What a waste.

i just put in the obs thread that we are now getting light to occassionally mod snow. what happened? I thought the warm nose was poking north not dropping south.

actually on one of the radars you can see the r/s snow line just dropped s and e of CON rather quickly

little burst of strong lift. Won't last long.

i just put in the obs thread that we are now getting light to occassionally mod snow.  what happened?  I thought the warm nose was poking north not dropping south.

actually on one of the radars you can see the r/s snow line just dropped s and e of CON rather quickly

Wasn't the true warm nose. You had leftover warmth in the mid levels this morning that is going to get erased by stronger lift. The warm nose is evident now on radar edging into southern VT.

WINDS
WILL ALSO CONTINUE TO INCREASE WITH GUSTS FROM 25 - 35
MPH...PEAKING LATE THIS AFTERNOON IN THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY AND
OVERNIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING ELSEWHERE...ESPECIALLY IN THE
CHAMPLAIN VALLEY. THIS WILL CREATE NEAR-BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH A
WHITEOUT EXPECTED AT TIMES. THINKING WE FALL JUST SHORT OF
BLIZZARD CRITERIA (3 HOURS OF 35+ MPH WIND GUSTS AND 1/4 MILE
VISIBILITY). SNOW MAY HANG ON LONGEST IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY
THURSDAY MORNING WITH SOME CHAMPLAIN VALLEY CONVERGENCE AND BTV4
WRF FORECAST FROUDE NUMBERS BELOW 0.25.

WINDS

WILL ALSO CONTINUE TO INCREASE WITH GUSTS FROM 25 - 35

MPH...PEAKING LATE THIS AFTERNOON IN THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY AND

OVERNIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING ELSEWHERE...ESPECIALLY IN THE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY. THIS WILL CREATE NEAR-BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH A

WHITEOUT EXPECTED AT TIMES. THINKING WE FALL JUST SHORT OF

BLIZZARD CRITERIA (3 HOURS OF 35+ MPH WIND GUSTS AND 1/4 MILE

VISIBILITY). SNOW MAY HANG ON LONGEST IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY

THURSDAY MORNING WITH SOME CHAMPLAIN VALLEY CONVERGENCE AND BTV4

WRF FORECAST FROUDE NUMBERS BELOW 0.25.

The winds have picked up here in the lower Champlain Valley.  Steady at 15, gusts to 25.  31.5F, visibility less than 500 feet.

Euro has decent wrap around, NW Mass over by MPM is an interesting spot tonight.getimg%201.png

lol at the dot of 36+ in Baxter Park.  Not thrilled with my forecast of 18-24" looking more like 10" on that map, though everything is so close together in S.Franklin that inch-per-mile gradients might be possible.

lol at the dot of 36+ in Baxter Park.  Not thrilled with my forecast of 18-24" looking more like 10" on that map, though everything is so close together in S.Franklin that inch-per-mile gradients might be possible.

I mean a 6-10 inch gradient across the southern Franklin zone split wouldn't be crazy at this point. The northern part of that split may flirt with 20" while the southern part struggles with mixing at times.

What a massive dump the GFS took on itself on the 12z run yesterday. I sided with the euro like 70/30 and still may be off with rain and thermal profiles for various cities over New England.

I know unusable is tossed around in jest a lot, but in reality by blending it in you significant degrade the forecast. I'm going to burn on that for PWM today.

I know unusable is tossed around in jest a lot, but in reality by blending it in you significant degrade the forecast. I'm going to burn on that for PWM today.

Ironically the 12z/10 GFS will do a better job than the euro at 12z/10 yet the euro as usual slides in to steal the show. 

Archived