joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE's Revenge....We're back bi**ches! 3/12-13 discussion

mreaves

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3/12/13 2014 Storm Summary   Storm total about 7-8".   Snow started around 6am on Wed 12th and became moderate by mid morning. Temperature was right at 32.1 to 32.4F.  Around 10am snow became heavy.  We picked up 2" in one hour with a temperature just above freezing. Around noon snow quickly changed to a driving rain with 4 1/2" on the ground that quickly mushed down to 2-3" of slush. Temp remained at 32.1 to 32.4F for 8 hours with rain continuing.  Late evening just as it shut off and changed to a bit of sleet/snow the temperature started to drop rapidly.  During the night and morning light snow redeveloped and gave us about 3" of powder snow.

Just above my elevation the trees are still coated with heavy wet snow.  I drove to Bristol 7 miles to my south and could see considerably less snow.  I assume several miles to my north there is much more snow.  Euro was the best and I ended up with what I expected although a degree or two colder would have made a huge difference.  Enjoyed this storm more than the real cold storms with fine small flakes.

Yeah they definitely used some outdated reports in there from last night. Everyone in this area saw double digits.

Whatever the individual offices used in their 10AM Public Information Statements is used in that map. I can assure you the BTV ones are all from this morning.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&product=PNS&issuedby=BTV

euro weenie map 24 hrs out not bad, overestimated fringe/sleet areas as usual but QPF was spot on.

Yeah slightly overdone (especially the areal coverage of 24"+), but the placement was spot on.

Whatever the individual offices used in their 10AM Public Information Statements is used in that map. I can assure you the BTV ones are all from this morning.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&product=PNS&issuedby=BTV

Yeah slightly overdone (especially the areal coverage of 24"+), but the placement was spot on.

Ahh yes you are correct. I am just surprised at a few reports under 10" I suppose. The Euro had the right idea on this one, and the forecast was pretty much nailed in the overall spread by NWS.

flake size LOL

:lol:  Its true... I think if you look more at the QPF progs and the actual melted, its pretty close to what was being progged.  You're never going to nail the ratio forecasts, or at least the models won't, but the moisture was certainly there.  The 1.5" melted in Stowe was the largest QPF amount in a winter storm here since March 6-7, 2011.

Archived