joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked good through yesterday. But now its done.

I don't know about that completely, perhaps the 06z gfs was just an off base run, but I'm still interested to see what the 12z runs show. The PV and confluence are considerably weaker with this than they were with the early March threat and the southern stream disturbance is a lot stronger/more consolidated than that poor excuse of a storm with the early March event. There's still nearly 2 days left, which is an eternity when it comes to the models. 

I don't know about that completely, perhaps the 06z gfs was just an off base run, but I'm still interested to see what the 12z runs show. The PV and confluence are considerably weaker with this than they were with the early March threat and the southern stream disturbance is a lot stronger/more consolidated than that poor excuse of a storm with the early March event. There's still nearly 2 days left, which is an eternity when it comes to the models. 

I happen to agree with this. Today might get very interesting. 

The GFS actually bumped north about 75 miles at 06z. Heh.

Yep. Somebody on the AccuWeather forum posted the side-by-side snowfall maps for the 0Z and 6Z GFS and it's a pretty large shift northward. For my latitude (central Somerset through northern Middlesex to Staten Island), we go from zilch to a 2-3" event and are only 30 miles from a 5" event, which is what the maps show for roughly the 276/195 latitude in PA/NJ. Given that the 6Z NAM is further south and that the 6Z runs supposedly utilize less input data, who knows what this really means, but I'd rather have 1 of 2 6Z models showing me getting some snow than 0 of 2.

Surprised nobody has posted the NWS-Philly snowfall map. I would, but all the cut/paste options for graphics are greyed out for me (don't know why), so I can only include the link, below. Anyway, they greatly cut back on snowfall predictions for Central/North Jersey, from a general 4-6" for the I-95 corridor from Trenton to Staten Island to 1-2" for the area between 195/276 in NJ/PA up to about I-78 and from 2-4" north of 78 in NJ/eastern PA to <1" for that area. Even the Philly/South Jersey area was reduced from 4-6" to 2-4", except for far southern NJ (and central DE/Balt/DC), which remains in the 4-6" swath.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/StormTotalSnow/stormtotal.php

Also found their AFD to be interesting...

WHILE THERE IS ALWAYS A DANGER IN COMPARING AN UPCOMING EVENT TO

A RECENT ONE, THERE SEEM TO BE SOME STRIKING SIMILARITIES TO OUR

MARCH 3RD SNOWFALL. THE GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO INDICATE A VERY

SHARP GRADIENT ALONG THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE SYSTEM AND IT IS

EXPECTED TO RUN THROUGH THE PHILADELPHIA METROPOLITAN AREA. ALSO,

SIMILAR TO THE EVENT NEARLY TWO WEEKS AGO THE LIFT SHOULD BE

MAINLY DUE TO THE COLD AIR UNDERCUTTING THE SOMEWHAT MILDER AIR TO

ITS SOUTH RATHER THAN THE BULK OF THE LIFT COMING FROM THE MILD

AIR OVER-RIDING THE COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE. THE FORMER SCENARIO

SHOULD LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF ADDITIONAL MOISTURE BEING DRAWN INTO

AND OVER OUR REGION. AS A RESULT, WE HAVE LOWERED THE FORECAST

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

WE ARE EXPECTING LESS THAN AN INCH OF SNOW ACROSS THE POCONOS,

THE LEHIGH VALLEY AND NORTHERN NEW JERSEY. OUR FORECAST CALLS FOR

1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW FOR MUCH OF SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA INTO

CENTRAL AND PARTS OF SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY. THE GREATEST SNOWFALL

AMOUNTS IN OUR REGION WILL LIKELY BE ACROSS THE SOUTH. BASED ON

OUR CURRENT THINKING, WE MAY SEE 3 TO 5 INCHES ON THE DELMARVA AND

INTO EXTREME SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY WHICH WOULD BE ON THE BORDER OF

AN ADVISORY AND A WARNING. IF THE FORECAST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WITH

THIS SYSTEM TREND IN ANY DIRECTION, OUR THINKING IS THAT IT WOULD

BE DOWNWARD BASED ON THE MODEL TRENDS AND RECENT EXPERIENCE. AS A

RESULT, WE WILL NOT ISSUE ANY WINTER STORM WATCHES AT THIS TIME.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

I happen to agree with this. Today might get very interesting.

It'll shift just enough north for precip to get up toms river and thats it, to see two suppressed storms in march and one in mid march especially is downright astounding. I highly doubt and i give it less than a 10% chance of happening that this storm is going to magically slam our area according to todays 12z runs. The confluence from the PV is noticably weaker this time but the problem here is believe is that the PNA is coming down from a peak so that is the mechanism that i think caused this to not properly phase and miss us to the south this time

that is so amazing

it is going to snow

Im just downright amazed that in mid march another storm is sliding to our south, twice in march is VERY rare. Guess the bad data theory from 12z yesterday wasnt a fluke and all the models woke up ( NAM being late to the party as usual :lol: )

Im just downright amazed that in mid march another storm is sliding to our south, twice in march is VERY rare. Guess the bad data theory from 12z yesterday wasnt a fluke and all the models woke up ( NAM being late to the party as usual :lol: )

All the models woke up at 12z yesterday? I don't believe that is accurate.

Did you see 12z yesterday? It was like a mass exodus to the mid atlantic and middle finger to us. Think the SREFS and the NAM were the only ones giving us any glimer of hope....

What I mean is that the GFS and UK weren't biting before 12z yesterday, and the Euro was already trending along with its ensembles. The cmc was still a hit prior to that but had trended south over the prior couple of runs. I don't think the GFS ever showed a big hit for more than one consecutive run.

Really, the NAM and Cmc moved way south at 12z. And the NAM wasn't even designed for this type of use, it's a non-hydrostatic mesoscale model.

All good things come to an end. Earlier this winter it was all about last minute party's. After all those last wins it was only a mater of time. Thread the needle gets thrown around here allot and I guess we just ran out of string.

If we look at how much bigger of a fail 3/3 was this shouldn't hurt to much.

Newsday has an article stating get you're boots ready. These fails aren't doing the meteo community any favors.

I'm not completely throwing in the towel for an inch or two around here until after this afternoons euro.

What a 24 hours of model watching this has been. The pattern isn't bad for our area for snow but our luck has ran out. When was the last time 3 storms miss the area to the south in March?

March is historically bad for modeling as the wave lengths shorten. That and the amplitude of the PV in areas with poor sampling have been reaking havoc.

Archived