joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question, any remember what the NAM was in this range for the beginning of March bust? I think it was south the whole time, any one remember?

Sent from my iPad

Way south I believe, it creeped north just before all the guidance went south, I think it had a run or two where it was a hit before the major south shift happened.  There was concern by myself and others about the NAM being suppressed...its not a lock but in general 7-8 out of 10 times when the NAM is not amped beyond 60-66 hours vs. other guidance it means the other models are too amped.

Way south I believe, it creeped north just before all the guidance went south, I think it had a run or two where it was a hit before the major south shift happened.

And now it's starting and consistently showing well north. I believe the nam started the south dive, then all models followed. Something to note? Or just the nam being the nam?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And now it's starting and consistently showing well north. I believe the nam started the south dive, then all models followed. Something to note? Or just the nam being the nam?

Sent from my iPad

If I remember right all of the models pretty much went south in a 2 run span except the GGEM which was always a miss from the start...I think the 12Z GFS was actually the first run to go south, the 12Z Euro then ticked south and the 18Z NAM then came in way suppressed but even the 12Z NAM was not all that far north, it was suspiciously similar to the GFS...when the GFS/NAM are similar at 72-84 hours it can often mean both are wrong from what I've found....this goes well with the theory if the NavGEM is similar to the GFS/GEM/Euro at Day 4-6 it often means those 3 models are nowhere close to the eventual solution since the NavGEM rarely scores a lone wolf win.

If I remember right all of the models pretty much went south in a 2 run span except the GGEM which was always a miss from the start...I think the 12Z GFS was actually the first run to go south, the 12Z Euro then ticked south and the 18Z NAM then came in way suppressed but even the 12Z NAM was not all that far north, it was suspiciously similar to the GFS...when the GFS/NAM are similar at 72-84 hours it can often mean both are wrong from what I've found....this goes well with the theory if the NavGEM is similar to the GFS/GEM/Euro at Day 4-6 it often means those 3 models are nowhere close to the eventual solution since the NavGEM rarely scores a lone wolf win.

I recall a gradual unrelenting shift south within 72 hours up until the event. It was different from today's shift in that it was more gradual i.e. we didn't go from a solid hit to a miss/graze on most models over a 12 hr time period, as we saw today. The good news here is that our expectations have already been lowered dramatically, which means going forward it won't take much for us to begin feeling better about this. Personally I don't see this going any further south than the 18z GFS. With respect to the march 2/3 storm, the PV looks weaker and the timing more favorable. The PV will be moving away as the storm approaches, whereas, the PV was increasing its influence as the storm moved in  for the march 2/3 storm. The NAO is far less positive as well, indicating this has a better shot at making it further up the coast, before heading ots.

You need to look at hour 78. It's actually nearly the same as previous run

I looked at all the panels, and beyond the precip as well this run is not as good as 15z.  It's not awful and still better than some of the other guidance.  I feel stupid even discussing the SREFs at 78h anyway, probably the most volatile guidance out there, they'll change plenty of times.

I looked at all the panels, and beyond the precip as well this run is not as good as 15z. It's not awful and still better than some of the other guidance. I feel stupid even discussing the SREFs at 78h anyway, probably the most volatile guidance out there, they'll change plenty of times.

It probably just means that a few more members ticked south.

Archived