joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the NAM, and it's trended south some...did that with the 3/3 system, took baby steps south each run.  Need this to end at the 0z runs with fresh data or most are done

The NAM usually makes some wild swings in this range. I'm mildly enthused that it dug further SW but still managed to produce a pretty big bomb.

If you were looking for a reason to stay up for the 00z runs you just found it

Because of what the 18z NAM did in the weenie range?

GEFS And EURO ensembles are not good, GGEM was south. Basically, because the NAM, worthless model showed this.......comon now Yanks. I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS enjoy your input, but really bro

This is actually what I find discouraging, and (one of the many reasons) I dont take the NAM solution seriously.

To me it says that a middle of the road solution is still on the table. Something that spits some of the energy SW but still ejects the trough eastward fast enough to deliver a good hit.

GEFS And EURO ensembles are not good, GGEM was south. Basically, because the NAM, worthless model showed this.......comon now Yanks. I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS enjoy your input, but really bro

I don't need you to tell me what the other models did.

Nobody here is saying that the NAM is right, but I'll be watching this until every model is bone dry.

It clearly trended towards the other models with respect to digging the energy in the southwest. I agree that it could signal that the other models have reached their southern goalpost, and that a moderate event is still on the table for all but northern zones...but more likely, it is just on its own.

To me it says that a middle of the road solution is still on the table. Something that spits some of the energy SW but still ejects the trough eastward fast enough to deliver a good hit.

fair point, and I do think there is a way for this to trend for a decent event up to around NYC.  For obvious reasons, I'd feel a lot better about that possibility if the NAM had some support (as of now).

the NAM is not a worthless model, the problem is people not understanding its strengths and weaknesses.  For the sunday night/monday event, it is still out of its best range.

the NAM is not a worthless model, the problem is people not understanding its strengths and weaknesses.  For the sunday night/monday event, it is still out of its best range.

At this range, and with all the other models drastically further south, yes, yes right now it is worthless, unless you are a snow lover and hug this run and say it is completely right, even though its not even close.

At this range, and with all the other models drastically further south, yes, yes right now it is worthless, unless you are a snow lover and hug this run and say it is completely right, even though its not even close.

To say that the NAM is a completely useless model is ridiculous. It's actually ignorant. It has nailed some big events before, such as 2/6/10.

Again, nobody is saying that the NAM verbatim is correct, but I'm going to go out and say that the GFS and Euro are probably not exactly correct either.

And the GGEM? The ensemble mean was a good bit wetter than the OP. Plus going from HECS to flurries in one run is not exactly great in terms of verification scores.

It's the NAM, and it's trended south some...did that with the 3/3 system, took baby steps south each run. Need this to end at the 0z runs with fresh data or most are done

If I remember right the nam was largely a miss from the get go on that event...although it did cine around a bit eventually it never showed it's usual amped bias beyond 60 hours either.

If I remember right the nam was largely a miss from the get go on that event...although it did cine around a bit eventually it never showed it's usual amped bias beyond 60 hours either.

You're correct, the NAM was never enthusiastic about that event.

I remember looking at the long range version and being troubled by the lack of precip that it was spitting out for a model that is typically too amped up at day 4.

Sorry but its an 84 hour model and now we are approaching its best range. Ideally by tonight it will be in its very best range. But obviously if its the ONLY model then its wait till next winter

It's good that the low can be pretty far south and you can still get good snows, we'll see if the gfs can show something.

The Nam was also slower, I wonder if that could play a huge role if the storm ends up slower than currently modeled as the slower it is the more likely it would move further north.

Sorry but its an 84 hour model and now we are approaching its best range. Ideally by tonight it will be in its very best range. But obviously if its the ONLY model then its wait till next winter

This is simply not true, the NAM is not in its best range 48+ hours out.  

Archived