Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton says don't give up yet

THE 00Z/14 DETERMINISTIC RUNS CONTINUED TO SHOW A NORTHERN TREND IN THE TRACK WHICH CONTINUES TO SUPPORT THE IDEA FROM SUNY SB SENSITIVITY ANALYSIS...HOWEVER TODAYS 12Z MODEL SUITE HAS INTERESTINGLY SHIFTED SOUTH. THIS INCONSISTENCY STEMS FROM THE INTERACTION BETWEEN THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH THAT JUST MOVED ONSHORE IN THE PAC NW AND THE SOUTHERN STREAM TROUGH/CUTOFF LOW OVER THE SW US. DEGREE OF PHASING OF THESE TWO FEATURES...AND EJECTION OF SHORTWAVE ENERGY FROM THIS TROUGH AND THE EVENTUAL PROGRESSION OF THE TROUGH ITSELF...WILL DETERMINE EVENTUAL IMPACTS TO THE AREA. ALSO NEED TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE STRENGTH OF THE CANADIAN HIGH BUILDING IN TO THE NORTH AS IT COULD BECOME THE MAIN PLAYER AND THE MARCH 3RD STORM OR BETTER THE NON-STORM IS STILL IN RECENT MEMORY. THE HIGH DURING THAT EVENT WAS ABOUT 10 MB STRONGER THAN IT IS CURRENTLY FORECAST TO BE FOR THIS ONE.

WHILE THE 00Z/14 GEFS..NAEFS AND EC ENS MEANS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT...THE 00Z/14 SENSITIVITY ANALYSIS IS STILL INDICATING A LARGE DEGREE OF SPREAD IN MSLP TO THE N OF EACH OF THE MEAN TRACKS...IMPLYING THAT THE TRACK WOULD BE FURTHER N. THE SENSITIVITY SIGNAL FIRST APPEARS ON LAND AT 00Z/15 AND APPEARS TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE SHORTWAVE IN THE PAC NW. WILL BE ABLE TO GAIN SOME BETTER INSIGHT AFTER TONIGHT`S 00Z AND EVEN MORE AFTER TOMORROWS 12Z RUNS NOW THAT THIS SHORTWAVE CAN BE SAMPLED MUCH BETTER BY UPPER AIR OBSERVATIONS. A COMPARISON OF THE AMPLITUDE OF THE H5 FLOW OVER THE ERN PACIFIC OCEAN AND PAC NW CAN BE MADE AS WELL AND DETERMINATION IF THESE NRN TRACK SOLNS ARE PLAUSIBLE OR NOT. THE COLD CANADIAN HIGH PRES BUILDING IN TO THE N WILL PROVIDE THE COLD AIR NEEDED FOR A SNOW EVENT...BUT THIS TOO COULD BECOME QUESTIONABLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE AREA IF THE SPREAD IN THE ENS MEANS COMES TO FRUITION.

AM NOT JUMPING ON THE SUPPRESSED SOLNS YET SINCE THERE ARE STILL MANY QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED...SO THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW REMAINS POSSIBLE. NOT QUITE SURE IF WE WOULD BE ABLE TO REACH WARNING CRITERIA (6 INCHES) IN A OVERRUNNING PATTERN...BUT THE HIGHER QPF VALUES ARE JUST SOUTH OF THE AREA AND IT IS STILL COLD ENOUGH FOR SNOW.

Been following along and I find it educational and entertaining..and I understand mainstream weather predictions are frowned upon here.

With that said, I'm noticing that while you are all fir thr most part saying this is trending to move south of us (I'm on the border of Warren and Morris counties), Weather Channel has a 70% chance if snow for Monday, Accuweather is at 35% and NOAA has it at 70% of snow Sunday night into Monday until 2 pm. And NOAA has gone as far as saying 1 to 3 inches for Sunday night.

Seems like nobody can agree on anything with this storm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Whatever the final outcome, this run was completely different than 12z at H5. It should raise a few eyebrows.

was stated earlier the 12z suite may have been a fluke, and I emphasize "MAY" this is the 18z suite we are talking about after all but it does agree with the NAM almost

was stated earlier the 12z suite may have been a fluke, and I emphasize "MAY" this is the 18z suite we are talking about after all but it does agree with the NAM almost

lets wait.. but i dont think it was a fluke. All the models that had this storm north..moved south.. so there is something .. hopefully that something changes..

It's going to be just a bit too far south this run, at least with the initial wave, but it was a step towards a better solution for us. I'm intrigued to see what it does now with all this energy over the deep south.

It's going to be just a bit too far south this run, at least with the initial wave, but it was a step towards a better solution for us. I'm intrigued to see what it does now with all this energy over the deep south.

looking at 12z and 18z GFS 500mb charts the 18z were noticably better and if the storm would've went negative tilt in the MS valley, well you do the math

Yes...The interesting thing to me is the NAM has been pretty decent this year and actually had a few semi coups besides a run or 2. IDK I hope is that the models over corrected just like when the gfs shifted north 100 miles with the 3/3 storm before shifting south 300 miles in subsequent run

This reminds me somewhat of the 3/3 storm, except I notice nobody on-air tv met is putting a snow map up yet. Smart choice. But this storm is different. The polar vortex would really have to work to expand this far southward and give us a miss. This is going to be one of those storms, we'll either get 6 inches or we'll get nothing at all. The rest of the 18z runs which come out soon are not as important as tonight's oz runs IMO. Sure, the trend is southward, but having all the models coming into a consensus at this far out in the game is baffling me a little. I'd say the best chance of seeing snow is from I-78 southward with the jackpot being somewhere between DC and Philly, probably closer to DC if this southward trend continues. If I were N+W of I-287 I wouldn't get my hopes up. But anything can happen. But the March trend has been to miss us more than hit us. Sure, the January and February trend has been to hit us, but we're in a different pattern during those months. One of these wait and see situations...

Archived