• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

Many don't care to properly analyze and see what caused things to happen the way they happened, they only see the final result. This is not the same scenario from the early March storm. While I share plenty of pessimism for this event, (it's mostly sarcastic) I'm trying to understand why things have shifted the way they did and why it may or may not be the final result. 

When I see models shifting gradually southward from run to run, then that's a proper trend. When you see models amping things up run by run, as in the case of our January and early February storms, then that's a proper trend. When you see all the models go from huge hit to nothing in one run, then you ought to be very cautious especially if there's been continuity prior to that "nothing" run. 

Just remember previous times where the models constantly showed no hit to no hit and then all of the sudden for one run they showed a big hit and everyone hopped on board, that's not a trend that's a blip so I'm not convinced this is over. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HM from the mid-atlantic thread, a reminder that this storm isn't the same as two weeks ago:

The 12z runs made some subtle long wave changes that affected the way our s/w manifests. Initially, you'll look at the models and say "more energy is hanging back/split off" and really that would be a fine analysis. The issue here is that the subtle changes in the western ridge affects the jet across the northern-tier. Between this process and the slower exit of the PV (which by itself wouldn't be a big deal...but it is a killer in combination with broadening western ridge), the flow speeds up, reducing partial phasing of s/w.

Here's the good news before you start to compare how amazingly annoying that it was the 12z runs 2Fridays ago that also started to shift the storm: that 3/3 system was being punished by a much more wicked PV and lobe dropping down from Ontario. In fact, it pushed in considerable dry and cold air advection throughout the precipitation shield, reducing accumulating snow to just the convergence zones post-initial thump WAA. In this case, despite the 12z shifts, we are still seeing frontogenetic forcing within general WAA across MA. This means, old rules apply about "edge of QPF shield" since that is conveniently placed along the 850mb deformation zone. 

Yes, and what concerns me is that this could end up being fantastic for South Jersey again, and a miss for us. That is what the Euro and its control run have been showing for many runs now.

Yes, and what concerns me is that this could end up being fantastic for South Jersey again, and a miss for us. That is what the Euro and its control run have been showing for many runs now.

I don't think it would be fantastic for anyone if it's crushed south and the energy is sheared out to nothing. The PV's dry air would eat up the snow where it's cold enough. There might be a narrow band of significant accums but the really heavy snow would occur if the storm was stronger and could transport more Gulf moisture.

Its pretty impressive how drastic things can shift once energy does get over land to be better sampled. This is a really amazing example of that (should today's runs end up verifying).  I also think the local media and NWS did a much better job holding back this time compared to where we were 14 days ago. 

Archived