joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, I think we have pretty much what we will walk away with this winter. Ever since Feb 15th we just can't buy any luck.

I think if anyone around here sees a coating of snow on the ground tomorrow morning, call that a win. Unbelievable that on a day in the upper 50s in March, tomorrow we will watch a storm get suppressed well south of us.

Can almost guarantee no coating of snow tomorrow morning. For Monday, I'm still holding out hope for an inch of snow...

18z NAM gets the precip a bit further north than 12z.  NAM actually took a pretty sizeable jump North, it's still virtually nothing for NYC but leaves some hope for us down in CNJ and Southern NJ.

It did make a nice jump north putting central and southern nj on edge for sure, southern nj would actually have a really nice hit. The PV and confluence begin to lift out as the storm approaches so the slower the storm is or the faster the PV begin to lift out, the further north it'll be. 

If the gfs shows something similar then it bares watching.

To show you guys how bad the NAM is everywhere even in the 24-36 hr timeframe, the 00z 3/11 NAM had 14-17" in the Chicago area and 6-10" out toward northwest IL. The result from the 3/11-3/12 snow event here was 3.6" at O'Hare, 0.1" in Rockford (nw IL), 5.4" here at the NWS office and 6" at Chicago Midway Airport. The highest amount in the Chicago area was 7". All the models have had their struggles across the country this year, and the NAM has had some rare successes but typically it's been the worst guidance and almost unusable at times except in the near term for mesoscale trends.

To show you guys how bad the NAM is everywhere even in the 24-36 hr timeframe, the 00z 3/11 NAM had 14-17" in the Chicago area and 6-10" out toward northwest IL. The result from the 3/11-3/12 snow event here was 3.6" at O'Hare, 0.1" in Rockford (nw IL), 5.4" here at the NWS office and 6" at Chicago Midway Airport. The highest amount in the Chicago area was 7". All the models have had their struggles across the country this year, and the NAM has had some rare successes but typically it's been the worst guidance and almost unusable at times except in the near term for mesoscale trends.

Which, it so happens, is what it is designed for. Heck, the M in NAM stands for mesoscale...

The GFS continues to inch north--a number of models now seem to have the 0.25" line touching southern Long Island. While 6"+ amounts are certainly out of the question at this point, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 1-2" in the city with this storm.

I don't think it's unreasonable but more likely just south of the city. The 18z gfs looked similar to 12z QPF wise but it did have the confluence further to the north. If that continues than you would likely see the precip move further north. Also the energy hanging back over the SE should be monitored. 

What's the deal with the disconnect between the 4k NAM's sim radar and its QPF output? Here's what the sim radar shows at hour 45:nam-hires_namer_045_sim_reflectivity.gif

And here's the QPF output for hours 42-48--hard to believe that 20-25dbz is all virga north of Sandy Hook:

nam-hires_namer_048_850_temp_mslp_precip

VERY good observation. I've noticed that the 4k NAM tends to overdo the precip shield OUTSIDE of the main, heavier banding. As to why it's qpf totals don't match up with its sim radar.....no idea. Must have something to do with the formula it uses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the deal with the disconnect between the 4k NAM's sim radar and its QPF output? Here's what the sim radar shows at hour 45:nam-hires_namer_045_sim_reflectivity.gif

And here's the QPF output for hours 42-48--hard to believe that 20-25dbz is all virga north of Sandy Hook:

nam-hires_namer_048_850_temp_mslp_precip

Sim radar picks up virga.

Watch, just when our guard is down, not expecting much if anything, we'll get 2-4 inches just like that.

Don't expect it and it will come, well ,maybe. I'm satisfied with this winter regardless.

A solid 2-4" snowfall, even if just the 2".....would close out this great winter in such a nice way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived