• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

UKMET is about 50 miles north of prior run.  

1/2 inch snow line up to Sussex

1 inch snow line up to about Andover and Caldwell and into extreme SE NY

2 inch snow line up to about Rt. 78, Staten Island, and the south shore of Long Island

3 inch line about 10 miles north of Trenton to about Sandy Hook

4 inch line up to about Philly to Ocean County

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UKMET is about 50 miles north of prior run.  

1/2 inch snow line up to Sussex

1 inch snow line up to about Andover and Mahwah and into SE NY

2 inch snow line up to about Morristown and NYC

3 inch snow line up to about Rt. 78, Staten Island, and the south shore of Long Island

4 inch line about 10 miles north of Trenton to about Sandy Hook

6 inch line up to about Philly to Ocean County

Philly went from about 1 inch to 6 inches on this run.

to me it looks like the 5mm line gets no farther north than staten island... which equates .2 liquid.

7.5 gets to Staten island, which equates to 3 inches

that's a generous interpretation of the map. on the meteocentre map, staten island is just inside the northern extent of the 5mm-7.5mm shaded band.  taken literally, it gives staten island 5mm and by the time you get down to monmouth county you hit the 7.5mm.   ,,,that's simply reading the colored map literally.

IDK, but this northward shift could mean business, really for central and southern NJ. This could also put the southwestern shore of Long Island near 2 inches or so. It seems that lots of models are showing a 25 mile shift northward of the snow. You can correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have access to any models. Right now accumulations might have to be raised slightly. Although it seems like this storm is done for our area, I'm still not throwing in the towel yet. This winter has been known to surprise us with either lots of snow when we weren't expecting it or nothing when we were expecting nearly 2 feet. Also it would make me happy if we did not talk about this Tuesday threat until like 3 days before.

12z Euro QPF, the model continues to shift north

Sussex .01

Andover .02

Caldwell .05

Morristown .06

NYC .08

Somerset .09

Islip .09

Belmar .28

on the feb 13 event, the euro bumped up the .qpf significantly at literally the last minute (00z run, when snow started falling at around midnight). hopefully it will do that again.

IDK, but this northward shift could mean business, really for central and southern NJ. This could also put the southwestern shore of Long Island near 2 inches or so. It seems that lots of models are showing a 25 mile shift northward of the snow. You can correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have access to any models. Right now accumulations might have to be raised slightly. Although it seems like this storm is done for our area, I'm still not throwing in the towel yet. This winter has been known to surprise us with either lots of snow when we weren't expecting it or nothing when we were expecting nearly 2 feet. Also it would make me happy if we did not talk about this Tuesday threat until like 3 days before.

Yes it could, because the PV is lifting out as the storm is moving in.  The last two runs have now had significant north moves.  

Just to give you an idea on the EC the past several runs.

Philadelphia two runs ago .8

Last run 1.8

This run 3.8

Belmar two runs ago .5

Last run 1.4

This run 3.0

New York City two runs ago .00

Last run .01

This run .08

Areas of Western Virginia went from 4 inches to 9 inches

Ok so we might eek out an inch up here but clearly this last minute northern jog will be more beneficial to areas to significantly to the south of NYC

Yes it could, because the PV is lifting out as the storm is moving in.  The last two runs have now had significant north moves.  

That's one of the biggest differences between 3/3 and this. For that one the PV was still pressing south, this one is lifting out so it's possible we see minor adjustments north even as the storm begins. 

Archived