• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

I agree, I think we have pretty much what we will walk away with this winter. Ever since Feb 15th we just can't buy any luck.

I think if anyone around here sees a coating of snow on the ground tomorrow morning, call that a win. Unbelievable that on a day in the upper 50s in March, tomorrow we will watch a storm get suppressed well south of us.

The storm isn't being suppressed, the pv is no more suppressive now and if anything is less so then runs 2 days ago that brought the storm north. The problem is most of the energy in the trough is diving south and cutting off not phasing in. This leads to a strung out system that is weak. Several waves of 1004 mb instead of one 990 low is the difference. If that energy came out we would be getting crushed. With the exception of feb 13 storms haven't phased much all winter. Mostly it's been waves along the cold boundary. Setup a that required phasing the last month haven't worked out.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would be neat if we could run today's models with the initialization data from past storms and see how they would have done.

A storm like this and 3/3 would have been miserably handled by the NGM it tended not to see the influence of confluence or strong highs very well and always overdid cold sector precip

SREF just did about a 25 mile shift north with the precipitation shield for tonight and tomorrow.  Doesn't make any difference in far northern sections yet, but it brings the .25 line up to Staten Island and the south shore of Long Island, and the .10 line north of the city. The .50 line is now up to Asbury Park and the .75 line is now up to Central Ocean County.   Have to watch this.  One or two more like this and we would all be in business.  If it is correct of course.  Let's see what the NAM does next.

NAM is pivoting the entire band a bit to the northeast of the prior run by about 5 miles to the north in eastern sections on this run.  Only makes a bit of a difference on this run to those in Central New Jersey and Philly.  Just interesting to see what happens.  We are only about 50 miles from getting some snow.  Grasping at straws, but still interesting.  

I just looked at the ECMWF snowfall map from the 0z run and the 12z run yesterday.  There was a dramatic shift north on the run this morning for tonight into tomorrow.  It took the 2 inch snow line from Northern Virginia up to extreme southern Pennsylvania.  It took Trenton from .1 inches of snow to .8 inches and moved the .1 line up to Morristown and NYC.  It took Burlington-Monmouth from .5 to 1.4 inches of snow.  The shift north by the SREF was real.

Nam finally loses the phantom 2nd storm. What a waste of a cold pattern. Terrible.

If that second storm had hit, it was likely to be rain anyways.  The NAM has finally come back from whatever crazy place it goes to when it comes up with these solutions.

Nam finally loses the phantom 2nd storm. What a waste of a cold pattern. Terrible.

Yeah but this happens all the time and we've been in a very snowy pattern overall for several years now. Since the colder pattern will likely stick around, the threats will too which I hate. I don't want to see another suppressed storm, I'd rather it be too warm than see that again.

Yeah but this happens all the time and we've been in a very snowy pattern overall for several years now. Since the colder pattern will likely stick around, the threats will too which I hate. I don't want to see another suppressed storm, I'd rather it be too warm than see that again.

Imagine if we see another suppressed storm in April :facepalm:

Archived