• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Giant signal for mid month. This was noted in the teleconnectors earlier this week

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this r-s line is marching north of how far I'd drive on a ski day trip.

Watch this cut nw another 100 miles at 0z , i dont think shes gonna trend s

Seriously thou i would watch for a trend NW next cpl runs before this is locked , maybe euro has it by now but not sold. 0z huge run for cne

Head for Cannon.  All highway from where you are.

BOX p n c for mby has dropped any of rain

Now back to golf disco

Mpm sees that he assumes all rain. I see that I assume all snow

BOX a lot more optimistic for this area than most.  lol

• Wednesday Rain and snow. High near 39. Calm wind becoming northeast 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Night Snow and sleet, becoming all snow after 10pm. Low around 13. Northeast wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • Thursday A chance of snow, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 22. Blustery. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Seriously thou i would watch for a trend NW next cpl runs before this is locked , maybe euro has it by now but not sold. 0z huge run for cne

Cpick79, we have so much snow on the ground here in CNE and a couple more inches tonight that its not going to matter about the R/S line.  It will end with a good deal of snow so even if we changeover, temps will crash and we will end up with powder conditions after the storm!

You guys thinking of hydro concerns down the road? That's going to be a healthy pack from central NH east towards GYX and esp jsut NW.

Especially if a cold rain is just absorbed into this pack. We're not doing a whole lot of melting like we normally would under low 40s type March days.

Well, this storm will hold my interest right through go time due to small shifts making a big difference for us folks along the MA/VT border.

Riding the Euro we still get warning criteria here anyway.  I'll play the optimist to MPM and Dave's pessimism. 

Here's to hoping.

Little ticks either way will have big impacts.  My fear is that the ticks will be more toward wetter than whiter.

Mpm sees that he assumes all rain. I see that I assume all snow

LOL.  I assume that it's going to be a mix.

I'm not sure what BOX is smoking, but pass it along.  No rain in the forecast.

Snow, mainly after 8am. High near 37. Calm wind becoming east 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

We're carrying 14" officially, but that's a little high because it's measured in the woods essentially.

I see about 6" on the undisturbed restaurant deck in my neighborhood (Yosaku), though I went hiking in the woods near Gray on Saturday and there was more like a foot in most places.

Cpick79, we have so much snow on the ground here in CNE and a couple more inches tonight that its not going to matter about the R/S line.  It will end with a good deal of snow so even if we changeover, temps will crash and we will end up with powder conditions after the storm!

It never melts there. North of KCON is an enigma. One of the big reasons IMHO is because the snowpack gets so packed down and glaciated, that solar isolation can't penetrate it and heat the ground below it. That is most especially true in March.

Obviously it takes so much energy to melt high water content snow, but I noticed a lot of bottom up melting at home recently.

It never melts there. North of KCON is an enigma. One of the big reasons IMHO is because the snowpack gets so packed down and glaciated, that solar isolation can't penetrate it and heat the ground below it. That is most especially true in March.

Obviously it takes so much energy to melt high water content snow, but I noticed a lot of bottom up melting at home recently.

Hell even in Portland. My girlfriend's front door doesn't get sun this time of year, and I'm still walking through the 0.5" of powder from last week.

we definitely don't toss

It's not the most scientifically robust method, but we don't have a lot of snow amount tool choices. I used a straight 13:1 above 1000 feet, with a nod towards surface temps approaching 34 below that. Gave me a nice coastal gradient, but still smoked the mountains without tossing out weenie totals of 32" in spots. Using surface temps in the mountains always is goofy, because it wants to give everyone 20+:1 because it's always in the teens.

I have a question for Tip, or Scoots, or anyone else who is knowledgeable about teleconnectors, etc. In Tip's first post in this thread, he showed several ways in which a signal for this upcoming event was showing.

Is there a way to revisit those/update them and see how they did?

Dead zones are so fun

I have a question for Tip, or Scoots, or anyone else who is knowledgeable about teleconnectors, etc. In Tip's first post in this thread, he showed several ways in which a signal for this upcoming event was showing.

Dead zones are so fun

With DST, the night time dead zone extends from about 6:00p.m. until 4:30a.m. when the early risers start checking in. 

Dead zones are so fun

The images Tip posted are from the CPC, and are just ensembles forecasts plotted beyond what's been observed.

Mar2014a.jpg

You can compare that to what has been observed since the original post.

nao.sprd2.gif

Archived