christians
    Newest Member
    christians
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think raw power of weather is the core of what weird people like us are so into. Flooding rains are pretty wild. I usually go to great falls during the crest. Talk about raw power. Just wild to watch. I agree about storms too. I'm not looking for death and destruction. Just an intense experience. Frequent cg is killer. I love getting woken up in the middle of the night with progressively closer booms. Laying in bed in a dark room with a light show and window rattling thunder is fun as heck.

You know storms much much better than me but I like the more discrete slow movers the best. They are prolific lightning producers. Even when they miss, watching the tower flash like a strobe light for an hour is mesmerizing. Typically not much wind with those cells by they put on quite a show sometimes.

Yeah exactly. We are all in this for the extremes on way or another and pretty much all of those extremes cause problems of some sort.

I know I'm mean to 'snow weenies' sometimes and I guess I shouldn't be. That said there are a lot of people into snow just because it's pretty and closes school/work. Regardless I don't fault anyone for wanting a blizzard even if it kills 50 people and such. These things will happen whether we are excited by them or not. On the flip side I can understand someone not wanting property damage but it's not that severe wx lovers are young, without family or property they care about etc. Tho you may be able to make that argument about tornado chasers who are willing to drive into a tornado for cool video...

How are we looking for cherry blossoms? I saw a few random pics yesterday of blooms in the snow, but are we still thinking April 8-12th for peak bloom?

The buds are far.. Some hints of color showing up on them so they may start to pop in the next 10 or so.. Would guess the peak date is still on target more or less. None are blooming down on the Tidal Basin.. The early cherries are going to shortly tho as one outside my house is ready for the next warm day.

I saw a few trees with blooms yesterday near the Capitol tho didn't include in photo post. There are some shots from the tidal basin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/03/18/rare-mid-march-snowstorm-in-washington-d-c-photos/

The buds are far.. Some hints of color showing up on them so they may start to pop in the next 10 or so.. Would guess the peak date is still on target more or less. None are blooming down on the Tidal Basin.. The early cherries are going to shortly tho as one outside my house is ready for the next warm day.

I saw a few trees with blooms yesterday near the Capitol tho didn't include in photo post. There are some shots from the tidal basin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/03/18/rare-mid-march-snowstorm-in-washington-d-c-photos/

Thanks. Really like that pic from the Korean WM.

Yeah exactly. We are all in this for the extremes on way or another and pretty much all of those extremes cause problems of some sort.

I know I'm mean to 'snow weenies' sometimes and I guess I shouldn't be. That said there are a lot of people into snow just because it's pretty and closes school/work. Regardless I don't fault anyone for wanting a blizzard even if it kills 50 people and such. These things will happen whether we are excited by them or not. On the flip side I can understand someone not wanting property damage but it's not that severe wx lovers are young, without family or property they care about etc. Tho you may be able to make that argument about tornado chasers who are willing to drive into a tornado for cool video...

What are the proper reasons for liking snow? I like it because I grew up in Vegas and rarely saw it until I moved to Reno for college. It's a beautiful weather event that quiets modern society and reveals nature's beauty in the stillness of it. What's wrong with that?

What are the proper reasons for liking snow? I like it because I grew up in Vegas and rarely saw it until I moved to Reno for college. It's a beautiful weather event that quiets modern society and reveals nature's beauty in the stillness of it. What's wrong with that?

Not really the point tho perhaps I didn't make it properly there.  I meant there are a lot of snow people who look no further than that. It's unique to those interested in meteorology IMO. 

Just to politely clarify for those all new and lurking, since it seems we've picked up some new members over the past month or two:

-Long term threads (1 week +) (large scale patterns etc.)

-- If sig. threat, then storm thread is created, (Model disco, etc)

--- Once in short term guidance range (~18hrs) then Storm OBS thread is created.

All other Weather stuff goes in the Monthly Obs thread, including minor/nuisance events.

All other NON-Weather things go in the monthly Banter thread.

Just to politely clarify for those all new and lurking, since it seems we've picked up some new members over the past month or two:

-Long term threads (1 week +) (large scale patterns etc.)

-- If sig. threat, then storm thread is created, (Model disco, etc)

--- Once in short term guidance range (~18hrs) then Storm OBS thread is created.

All other Weather stuff goes in the Monthly Obs thread, including minor/nuisance events.

All other NON-Weather things go in the monthly Banter thread.

Thanks. This is helpful.

I'm rooting for sleet the size of basketballs and enough snow to collapse roofs for 1k square miles. Then topped off with flooding rains and 90mph winds and an earthquake. And a meteor strike that opens up a magma shaft that grows into a volcano.

It's been borderline lately but this post confirms it.

:lol:

Archived