• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter/Cold and Snow: How much of it do you want?

Chicago WX

Rock the vote  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you want winter/cold and snow?

• Meteorologically: December 1 - February 28
    • Astronomically: December 21 - March 20 ish
    • Pretty big fan: November 1 - March 31
    • As much as realistically possible: October 1 - April 30
    • 2 months is good enough: Dec/Jan or Jan/Feb, etc
    • Gobble gobble, ho ho ho: Thanksgiving - Christmas
    • Coldest/snowiest weenie: July 1 - June 30
    • Cromartie style: No winter at all
    • Other: uh, explain below

Enough cold and snow to keep the lake herring alive, lake levels steady, and winter tourism & sport in business but not so much that we're running excessive winterkill, knocking out fruit trees and grapevines, or having catastrophic flooding on the Red River.

This is hard to answer in one question, because I am absolutely fed up with cold but I don't mind the snow and tracking of snowstorms. I went with astronomically as that is what I'd answer with respect to snow.

choosing your option (Dec. 21), you lose out on some of the lowest sun angles of the season. Mid Nov it's already brown and cold so might as well be white.

Up here, it's Winter mid Nov-mid April anyway.

choosing your option (Dec. 21), you lose out on some of the lowest sun angles of the season. Mid Nov it's already brown and cold so might as well be white.

Up here, it's Winter mid Nov-mid April anyway.

I suppose I hear you, but lately we haven't had much snow before Dec 21, except this year. Maybe a Dec 10th to March 20th range would be a better call.

My whole thing is. Might as well start a little after Halloween. Temps are in the 40's it's gray all time. Grass is turning brown might as well make it white. After March 20th let the season flip sun angle sucks anyways.

I agree for the most part, but because of the lake, it stays cold through most of April so I'd rather just keep the snow as long as it looks fresh... which after April it really doesn't.

Plus melt season is awful.... mud and puddles.... squish squish squish

I agree for the most part, but because of the lake, it stays cold through most of April so I'd rather just keep the snow as long as it looks fresh... which after April it really doesn't.

Plus melt season is awful.... mud and puddles.... squish squish squish

Another good thing about starting early. Hunters like a snow-pack OTG for tracking. 

I voted Nov 1-Mar 31st.

Now, I will NEVER turn down snow...but in October i absolutely LOVE Fall, so I would prefer cool, crisp air and sunny skies to leaf peep, not gray damp chill to the bone stuff. First flakes are always exciting, but you get my drift. With April...I have the Tigers baseball itch. This year, with a record winter, I say might as well put it out of reach for future generations. I will have no qualms going to Opening Day and seeing snowbanks piled outside Comerica Park :lol:

Went with other. December 1st to March 15th. I prefer a quick transition from winter to summer if possible. I would prefer to skip 40s/50s and go right to 60s/70s in April. I don't mind winter starting the last week of November either as we can get some pretty big LES in late Nov. Winters that last well into late March early April I cannot stand.

I voted Nov 1-Mar 31st.

Now, I will NEVER turn down snow...but in October i absolutely LOVE Fall, so I would prefer cool, crisp air and sunny skies to leaf peep, not gray damp chill to the bone stuff. First flakes are always exciting, but you get my drift. With April...I have the Tigers baseball itch. This year, with a record winter, I say might as well put it out of reach for future generations. I will have no qualms going to Opening Day and seeing snowbanks piled outside Comerica Park :lol:

haha I was actually thinking about opening day recently. Seeing massive snowbanks outside the rogers centre would be hilarious. 

Dec and January cold with 8"+ storms punctuated with NW Flow/Clipper brutalness, epic snow pack builds up

Nov, Feb seasonable/above average temps with big dogs that melt in a week

March torch with alpha big dog thrown in there to end the season

That would be the perfect winter.

Archived