Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here Hawkeye. Except for in the shade the snow in gone from last night. I'd definitely agree... I wouldn't touch a shovel unless it was something really significant this time of season.

Around 26° right now.

I was trying to figure out the consecutive days with snow on the ground IMBY,  but I'm not sure what the official criteria is for the starting point of a count......  We had a big LES snowfall in Nov. but  some of it definitely melted in the early December warmup, enough so that there were bare patches.  Does the ground have to be completely covered for it be officially called 'snow on the ground'  or is half-covered or more sufficient? How about snow depth?   Anyone know the official criteria? 

I was trying to figure out the consecutive days with snow on the ground IMBY,  but I'm not sure what the official criteria is for the starting point of a count......  We had a big LES snowfall in Nov. but  some of it definitely melted in the early December warmup, enough so that there were bare patches.  Does the ground have to be completely covered for it be officially called 'snow on the ground'  or is half-covered or more sufficient? How about snow depth?   Anyone know the official criteria? 

I use the CoCoRaHS method. If 1/2 or more of the ground is covered, average depth is used. If less than 1/2 of the ground is covered, report a trace.

However, I had a few days this winter where even though more than half the ground was bare, there was so much depth in places where snow covered remained, that I reported an inch of depth. This is because if the remaining snow was spread evenly across the ground, that would be the depth. It is a combination of measuring, estimation, and experience.

I use the CoCoRaHS method. If 1/2 or more of the ground is covered, average depth is used. If less than 1/2 of the ground is covered, report a trace.

However, I had a few days this winter where even though more than half the ground was bare, there was so much depth in places where snow covered remained, that I reported an inch of depth. This is because if the remaining snow was spread evenly across the ground, that would be the depth. It is a combination of measuring, estimation, and experience.

Excellent post and spot on! As an example here...our snow depth has been a T since March 18th because we have some drifts and patches remaining...in the week since...the piles have noticeably shrunk as have the drifts, but still have to carry a trace because a few patches and drifts are still hanging on! The general term "snowcover" usually applies to an inch or more...but it is certainly noteworthy that we spent almost the entire winter white, and havent been completely bare since early Dec 8th.

If the surface moisture/dewpoint return was better tomorrow afternoon and early evening, the synoptic setup would've been quite favorable for severe weather much farther north than the SPC slight risk area. Some of the favorable factors: Pretty close proximity to the deep surface low especially in northern IL, eastern IA and southern IA; impressive wind fields (50-70 kt H5 jet, ~60kt H85 jet); steep midlevel lapse rates and strong forcing from the neutral to negative tilt upper trough.

As it stands, the models are getting 50 degree dewpoints up to central IL and IN ahead of the cold front, and hi res sim ref guidance including the 4km NAM and our local WRF are blowing up a fairly strong line of convection. Maybe a marginal wind threat given how intense the winds will be aloft.

Too bad & good at the same time that most of this storm is just fish food!! It would have been EPIC for NE if this was 75-100 further west!!!

Aside from the pummeling that ACK and parts of the Cape, downeast Maine, and the Canadian Maritimes are getting from this, true. Being from NYC, had I still been living there and in the aftermath of Sandy, as interesting as a storm of this magnitude being farther west would have been, it would've been destructive. The wind damage could have been on a level approaching Sandy.

Chicago 2013-2014 winter ranked #1 worst winter compared to average, by the Weather Channel's writers, considering the temperature and snowfall factors.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/10-worst-winter-cities-2013-2014-20140320?pageno=10

Hmm not quite, they've used some terrible grammar in this article (ex. "10 Major Cities With the Worst Winter of 2013-2014"... someone take an English class) but essentially they are ranking 10 cities in order of who experienced the harshest winter conditions compared to that city's long term average.

So they've ranked Chicago as #2 on the list (meaning only one city this winter experienced harsher conditions compared to their long term average).

Also lol at "Worst winter index". Good for ratings I guess.

We've tied the record low of 11 this morning at DTW. Still could break it.

Its almost a lock that this year will feature substantially more record lows than highs. 

Toledo 2013-2014 winter ranked #1 worst winter compared to average, by the Weather Channel's writers, considering the temperature and snowfall factors.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/10-worst-winter-cities-2013-2014-20140320?pageno=11

i edited this (I messed up!!!)

Only one way to go next year..... I remember last winter having such a great ending, I thought there was no way that would be topped this year, but this winter was good from start to end. Front, Middle and Back loaded winter with a bit of "Overtime Bonus".

Archived