• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

I visited the local dam yesterday to catch some crappies and see if I could get a walleye to take and the variety of clothing was amazing. Most guys (like me) were still wearing Carharts and sweatshirts, while others seemed comfortable in jackets. Two guys decided that  long-sleeved shirts and shorts were good enough. Good thing they didn't see me loling or I may have gotten my butt kicked.

It was coold yesterday morning...at least out on the river.  The wind was raw...by the time we went in around 11am it was warming fast.    We were using these red tinted minnows (you got me where they come from) and "tip downs" ...basically you put an ice fishing pole in this wooden contraption and once a fish takes it, the pole will swing down and you know there is a fish.  We caught probably 25+ perch and a few huge crappies on those...  waxies/jigs were unproductive...a few bluegills, but not much else.   I didn't have my camera, but my brother took a pic with his iphone so i'll see if i can get him to send me it.  Some jumbo perch in there...full of spawn.     Walleye fishing would have been tough at the dam yesterday with the wind. 

47F overnight and should be 66F this afternoon...rain chances have been cut today some, so i should be able to get outside again.

-7.6F for the month...last March was -8.3F

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already up to 60 degrees with south winds gusting over 30mph.  Incoming band of rain has crapped the bed, but the clouds associated with it should keep our highs from making 70 today. 

Briefly thought about heading up to north-central IA/south-central MN for the late afternoon marginal svr threat, but held off.  Chasing bug is already starting to bite pretty hard.

Great day today, made it to 68.  The wind was really howling this afternoon, but I didn't mind because it kept me cool while I power-raked the neighbor's lawn.  There's a nice line of storms approaching my area.  We continue to be very dry so a nice downpour would be great.  The temp is cratering behind the front to our west.

March 2014 finishes with a mean temp of 32.9º at LAF. That makes for the sixth below normal month in a row...the last three in impressive fashion. Monthly departures below.

Oct 2013: -0.6º

Nov 2013: -4.8º

Dec 2013: -3.1º

Jan 2014: -8.4º

Feb 2014: -11.9º

Mar 2014: -7.9º

I had to fill in a couple of missing days from November and January (naturally, both due to the two biggest wx events in the past year, locally), to make it closer to reality.

Great day today, made it to 68.  The wind was really howling this afternoon, but I didn't mind because it kept me cool while I power-raked the neighbor's lawn.  There's a nice line of storms approaching my area.  We continue to be very dry so a nice downpour would be great.  The temp is cratering behind the front to our west.

We hit 68F up here too...  We also need rain.  We went into winter very dry...  Sure there is soil moisture now, but it will dry out fast...late week looks wet, so that should help.

Archived