e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the moisture note as a whole, it's been a dry month for most of us.

Yes very dry, and this has largely saved the lakes region from widespread flooding. Although you wouldn't know it from walking in the fields or the parks. Ground is still ridiculously saturated. Shift in the pattern to something more rainy could still have impacts, as I believe it will take a while from the ground to dry out. Soil hasn't really had a chance to thaw properly.

Forecast for the next 3 days looks rough, high of 21F on Wednesday, low 10F. Weekend looks nicer though.

Yes very dry, and this has largely saved the lakes region from widespread flooding. Although you wouldn't know it from walking in the fields or the parks. Ground is still ridiculously saturated. Shift in the pattern to something more rainy could still have impacts, as I believe it will take a while from the ground to dry out. Soil hasn't really had a chance to thaw properly.

Forecast for the next 3 days looks rough, high of 21F on Wednesday, low 10F. Weekend looks nicer though.

Before the cold yesterday came in, I was able to dig down about 3". There should be quite a bit of runoff with the late week system. Water from the system next week; if it isn't snow, should get down into the soil more.

16 again this morning here.  20 in the point for tonight, and then 12 tomorrow night.  After that we warm up quite a bit.

EURO has you at 75° next Tuesday!

68° for here and ORD. Monday looks really warm too for the last day of the month. Maybe it will go out like a lamb!

Weather is one of those things that actually very few people remember with decent accuracy.  Some weather events stick out in my mind mainly because they were so unusual. (i.e. Winters of 77-78 and 78-79) The floods of 1993, GHD blizzard.) but, even now, 30 years later for some of this stuff, memories are not as clear as they used to be.  In many cases I remember some weather events, just not the year they occurred.  

We had a bad ice storm, back when I was in high school. I don't remember if it was 1982, or 1983. Power was out for two days.  I also remember a severe weather outbreak, where we had two nights of intense thunderstorms, which caused power outages, and even wires down on my block, may have been in the early 80's, perhaps '80 or '81.  I also remember the Hillside Village Picnic being interrupted by some severe storms, high winds, hail and driving rain.  I remember getting soaking wet and scared to death, perhaps in the mid 70's.  I remember myriad days of cold, snow, storms, and tornado warnings from my youth, but, just can't remember the years. 

Sometimes, single events can, in our memories become distorted as to their actual impact. Back in 1979, it seemed to take forever for spring to arrive.  I tend to remember it taking as long as mid-April for all of the snow to be completely gone, but that could just be my memory distorting the time frame.  Same with the floods of 1993.  I remember the constant cycle of thunderstorms, roughly every 4 or 5 days we were under a thunderstorm watch or warning. 20 years later, it defined the whole summer, but, I don't think that stormy pattern actually lasted more than a few weeks. 

I started keeping weather diaries back in 1997, for the sole purpose of having something to reference, when we started comparing "then and now" later in life. I kept them pretty much up to date through 2012... however, a hard drive crash last year destroyed all of that data (I never printed them out. I should have) so, now, I have no historical records of my own to go on, if I want to recall something from that time period. 

I think if all of us "old timers" were to spend some time going back to the years of our youth, and looking at some weather records from back then, we would probably be shocked at the accuracy of what we remember, and "remember". 

Good post. And you are a weather hobbyist no less! Shows how low the accuracy of weather memories really is for most.

Weather is one of those things that actually very few people remember with decent accuracy.  Some weather events stick out in my mind mainly because they were so unusual. (i.e. Winters of 77-78 and 78-79) The floods of 1993, GHD blizzard.) but, even now, 30 years later for some of this stuff, memories are not as clear as they used to be.  In many cases I remember some weather events, just not the year they occurred.  

We had a bad ice storm, back when I was in high school. I don't remember if it was 1982, or 1983. Power was out for two days.  I also remember a severe weather outbreak, where we had two nights of intense thunderstorms, which caused power outages, and even wires down on my block, may have been in the early 80's, perhaps '80 or '81.  I also remember the Hillside Village Picnic being interrupted by some severe storms, high winds, hail and driving rain.  I remember getting soaking wet and scared to death, perhaps in the mid 70's.  I remember myriad days of cold, snow, storms, and tornado warnings from my youth, but, just can't remember the years. 

Sometimes, single events can, in our memories become distorted as to their actual impact. Back in 1979, it seemed to take forever for spring to arrive.  I tend to remember it taking as long as mid-April for all of the snow to be completely gone, but that could just be my memory distorting the time frame.  Same with the floods of 1993.  I remember the constant cycle of thunderstorms, roughly every 4 or 5 days we were under a thunderstorm watch or warning. 20 years later, it defined the whole summer, but, I don't think that stormy pattern actually lasted more than a few weeks. 

I started keeping weather diaries back in 1997, for the sole purpose of having something to reference, when we started comparing "then and now" later in life. I kept them pretty much up to date through 2012... however, a hard drive crash last year destroyed all of that data (I never printed them out. I should have) so, now, I have no historical records of my own to go on, if I want to recall something from that time period. 

I think if all of us "old timers" were to spend some time going back to the years of our youth, and looking at some weather records from back then, we would probably be shocked at the accuracy of what we remember, and "remember". 

This is an excellent post. I can guarantee you that 30 years from now, people who are kids or teens today will look back and claim that winters were always tough when they were young, when in reality they're remembering this winter.

This is an excellent post. I can guarantee you that 30 years from now, people who are kids or teens today will look back and claim that winters were always tough when they were young, when in reality they're remembering this winter.

Oh you can bank on that!

I have heard more and more people commenting that they will not soon forget this winter, and many old timers have finally admitted they never saw a winter like it. My coworker who is from Sault Ste Marie normally likes snow, but has been tired of it for 2 months, and says this winter reminded her of growing up in the Soo...and though she enjoys snow she doesnt want to go back to that. Whether or not we get those last few inches to break the 1880-81 record, this winter has pretty much set the mark for everyone. It wont be forgotten for many years to come, and when enough time has passed, it will be ingrained in the minds of the next generation as how "winters were always harsher when I was a kid in the '10s" :P

ok, I take back my declaration of below zero weather done. I see I'm forecasted -8 tomorrow.

I was at Boyne the past 3 days (got back last night).  It was like February and didn't feel at all like end of March.  Only way you could tell it was end of March was how much Sun there was!!!

Great ski conditions. 

We are done skiing for the season though and my family is now ready for spring.

That was back when Chicago used to get missed by snow :)

Haha, yep.

March 2013 was pretty amazing in the LAF, topped off by the 24-25th storm. Going back to March 1, 2013...I've seen a total of 91.3" of snow. Crazy, historic run of snowfall here. :)

A few photos I took of the March 24-25, 2013 storm. Good times.

have to wonder if today is our last day with a high temp in the 20s until next fall

Probably. Latest one on record for Chicago is April 17, 1875...and that combined with the day before, well...both were kinda flukey. 

Top 3 coldest daily maximum temperatures for Chicago (sub 30º), tomorrow through April 17. None after that date until next Fall.

March 26: 23 in 1996...23 in 1937...23 in 1894

March 27: 26 in 1904...30 in 1934...30 in 1926*

March 28: 23 in 1887...26 in 1923...28 in 1899

March 29: 24 in 1887...29 in 1964...31 in 1970*

March 30: 27 in 1969...28 in 1975...29 in 1899

March 31: 21 in 1923...31 in 1924...32 in 1969*

April 1: 26 in 1881...27 in 1899...33 in 1936

April 2-3: None

April 4: 28 in 1891...32 in 1944...32 in 1881

April 5-15: None

April 16: 27 in 1885...31 in 1961...32 in 1904

April 17: 26 in 1875...36 in 1983...36 in 1935