northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IND going with an inch or less.  Reasonable call at this point but think there's a chance for slightly higher amounts in the northern cwa.  Timing looks pretty good...mostly evening/overnight which may help given that rates probably won't be that great.

Picked up a couple inches last night. At this point will probably have snow until May unless April really warms up. Still have over 2' in my yard.

1947570_10201549197511348_305252994_n.jp1959823_10201549197791355_565502874_n.jp1964908_10201549198711378_106215463_n.jp

really nice Josh! How far off the interstate are you there?

-2 here this morning....thinking/hoping tonight will be the last below zero readings for the season, but as long as we maintain such deep snow, it isn't out of the question to have more, especially your area.

really nice Josh! How far off the interstate are you there?

-2 here this morning....thinking/hoping tonight will be the last below zero readings for the season, but as long as we maintain such deep snow, it isn't out of the question to have more, especially your area.

attachicon.gif1012145_606458486095419_283278922_n.png

I am about a 1/2 West of I75. But the nearest intersection is about 4-5 miles North or South of me.

It was weird watching this morning's lake effect snow.  None fell out by me, it missed, literally by about 2 miles or so, with parts of Brookfield and other towns to my east getting a dusting or so.  Sun was out, and Channel 7 was showing snow fall down down.  I could go outside and see the clouds just east of me that were dropping the stuff. 

On to spring, I hope, after tomorrow's clipper....

Yet another odd quirk I have noticed that i can never recall seeing before. At pretty much any time of any winter, the rule of thumb is the snow piles are the last thing to go. Once again, not this winter. Well....plow piles obviously will be last to go...but Im talking shoveled piles. On many N-S facing streets, even most piles have melted or withered away to almost nothing (while the shady side still has piles). But yet the drifts are still stuck in the wooded areas, or shaded areas in the backyards, alleys, etc. So what does that tell you when a 6 foot snow pile exposed to sun goes before a snowdrift does? Obviously that the March sun does its thing no matter the airmass, but also that the assault of wind this winter had packed the snow into such immensely hard packed drifts that it leaves me to wonder what kind of snow depth we might have had if we DIDNT have the constant wind and drifting?

Took this pic of neighbors yard today....as the last of the snow has slowly receded away, it has revealed grass that was basically bludgeoned from the weight of the deep winterlong snowpack.

4017-800.jpg

32 for a high here.  Only a few scattered small piles here and there.  Those were once huge mountains of snow. 

Looks like a dusting of snow tomorrow afternoon, and then we warm up in the longer range.  Can't wait for this benign month to end.  Hopefully we can get some good severe setups going in April.  Warm front action in IL could get interesting..

There's a few isolated pockets of snow in the most shaded wooded areas and a few remnants of drifts around - but even those are really small now. 95% of the snow is just in piles now (within a 20 mile radius). 

If anything falls tomorrow night and accumulates will be gone probably within 12 hours. Even after the cold night last night, the ground in sunny areas turned soft this afternoon.

Very dull month outside of the first week.

There's a few isolated pockets of snow in the most shaded wooded areas and a few remnants of drifts around - but even those are really small now. 95% of the snow is just in piles now (within a 20 mile radius). 

If anything falls tomorrow night and accumulates will be gone probably within 12 hours. Even after the cold night last night, the ground in sunny areas turned soft this afternoon.

Very dull month outside of the first week.

I could not care less at this point about the bolded. And this is coming from the snowcover king. Its all about getting whatever we can get to break a 134 year old record and shut the old timers up for good!

I could not care less at this point about the bolded. And this is coming from the snowcover king. Its all about getting whatever we can get to break a 134 year old record and shut the old timers up for good!

Lol. How much do you need?

Nevermind - found it. 3.0"

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=100198&source=0

Lol. How much do you need?

Nevermind - found it. 3.0"

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=100198&source=0

Whats funny too is that all of these recent years weve been setting top 5 or top 10 snow records the public comments on what a harsh winter it is, but by the following Fall they are right back to that "weve had mild winters lately" or "when I was a kid" crap. But ever since the last snowstorm and the media hyping it up, thats now got everyones attention that we are 2nd snowiest winter just a few inches from #1. Never mind the fact thats its already the snowiest winter in any living persons lifetime for this area, or the fact that had Detroits records started in 1885 like many cities it would already be the "snowiest winter on record". The public are quite puppets when it comes to anything about the weather, so for the love of everything nature and all the bs tales of walking uphill to school when you were a kid, lets set the damn record any way we can!

Whats funny too is that all of these recent years weve been setting top 5 or top 10 snow records the public comments on what a harsh winter it is, but by the following Fall they are right back to that "weve had mild winters lately" or "when I was a kid" crap. But ever since the last snowstorm and the media hyping it up, thats now got everyones attention that we are 2nd snowiest winter just a few inches from #1. Never mind the fact thats its already the snowiest winter in any living persons lifetime for this area, or the fact that had Detroits records started in 1885 like many cities it would already be the "snowiest winter on record". The public are quite puppets when it comes to anything about the weather, so for the love of everything nature and all the bs tales of walking uphill to school when you were a kid, lets set the damn record any way we can!

People like to exaggerate experiences they once had.

I asked my dad about the 1970's winters and he always says it wasn't that memorable for snow. He thinks this past decade was way snowier than anything he remembers from the past.

I've heard those stories all my life as well!

I bet DTW gets to 95" or really close to it.

---

On the moisture note as a whole, it's been a dry month for most of us.

MonthPNormMRCC.png

Weather is one of those things that actually very few people remember with decent accuracy.  Some weather events stick out in my mind mainly because they were so unusual. (i.e. Winters of 77-78 and 78-79) The floods of 1993, GHD blizzard.) but, even now, 30 years later for some of this stuff, memories are not as clear as they used to be.  In many cases I remember some weather events, just not the year they occurred.  

We had a bad ice storm, back when I was in high school. I don't remember if it was 1982, or 1983. Power was out for two days.  I also remember a severe weather outbreak, where we had two nights of intense thunderstorms, which caused power outages, and even wires down on my block, may have been in the early 80's, perhaps '80 or '81.  I also remember the Hillside Village Picnic being interrupted by some severe storms, high winds, hail and driving rain.  I remember getting soaking wet and scared to death, perhaps in the mid 70's.  I remember myriad days of cold, snow, storms, and tornado warnings from my youth, but, just can't remember the years. 

Sometimes, single events can, in our memories become distorted as to their actual impact. Back in 1979, it seemed to take forever for spring to arrive.  I tend to remember it taking as long as mid-April for all of the snow to be completely gone, but that could just be my memory distorting the time frame.  Same with the floods of 1993.  I remember the constant cycle of thunderstorms, roughly every 4 or 5 days we were under a thunderstorm watch or warning. 20 years later, it defined the whole summer, but, I don't think that stormy pattern actually lasted more than a few weeks. 

I started keeping weather diaries back in 1997, for the sole purpose of having something to reference, when we started comparing "then and now" later in life. I kept them pretty much up to date through 2012... however, a hard drive crash last year destroyed all of that data (I never printed them out. I should have) so, now, I have no historical records of my own to go on, if I want to recall something from that time period. 

I think if all of us "old timers" were to spend some time going back to the years of our youth, and looking at some weather records from back then, we would probably be shocked at the accuracy of what we remember, and "remember". 

Archived