e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's a whole lot of snow Bo! Hmm, tire tracks don't head very far... have trouble getting up the driveway!  :P

---

EURO advertising 58° here tomorrow. 61° at ORD, 69° at STL, 63° at LAF, 60° at DVN, 63° at IND, and only upper 30s at DTW.

Hit 44° here today. Pretty much just snow piles left now. 

Lots of birds chattering today and even saw a few chipmunks for the first time this season.

Backyard pond is 100% open now.

Sunset tonight. Sun setting directly at the end of the road.

1010141_10203512420158060_210382285_n.jp

Just got home. I was surprised to see how much snowpack is left in my backyard. Frayed at the edges sure but still a solid 2" or so.

attachicon.gifSAM_0680.JPG

Is that the bottom layer from your Dec ice storm? We havent had completely bare ground since morning of December 8th, however our consecutive streak of 1"+ cover lasted "only" from Dec 31 - Mar 17 here (most of that time was over 10"...peaking at 21"). What do you estimate the highest snow depth in Etobicoke was this winter?

Is that the bottom layer from your Dec ice storm? We havent had completely bare ground since morning of December 8th, however our consecutive streak of 1"+ cover lasted "only" from Dec 31 - Mar 17 here (most of that time was over 10"...peaking at 21"). What do you estimate the highest snow depth in Etobicoke was this winter?

Could be. We had about 3" prior to the icestorm so what's left in my backyard might be the highly compressed remnants from the Dec 14th storm.

Educated guess but peak depth probably occurred after the Feb 5 storm. Nowhere near your 21" as we've had 30" less total snowfall. I'd guess we peaked at 15 or 16".

How confident are you at this point that you get your 3" before the winter's done. I was nearly 100% certain you'd get there after the March 12 storm. Still likely but you've got to be a bit antsy? 

Could be. We had about 3" prior to the icestorm so what's left in my background might be the highly compressed remnants from the Dec 14th storm.

Educated guess but peak depth probably occurred after the Feb 5 storm. Nowhere near your 21" as we've had 30" less total snowfall. I'd guess we peaked at 15 or 16".

How confident are you at this point that you get your 3" before the winter's done. I was nearly 100% certain you'd get there after the March 12 storm. Still likely but you've got to be a bit antsy? 

Yeah I figure you didnt peak as high as me. As Ive mentioned in previous posts....the warm air always finds a way to sneak its way into the southern burbs of Detroit on the SW wind on those few mild days we get (moreso than north of town). On my numerous trips to my best friends (25 miles NE of Detroit) its obvious their snow wasnt as deep all winter every time Id go up...yet last weekend they had a bit more left (after it was freshly torched away). My old drifts that were once 30" deep in the back are now like 5" deep lol (granted full sun)....and my snow piles that were 6 feet deep in Feb are now like 1-1.5 feet high (yet neighbor across the street in full shade still has a 4+ foot pile).

Never certain with the weather. I mean, Id like to think it would happen ESPECIALLY this winter. Especially now thats what EVERYONE has been talking about the last week or so when it comes to the weather. Snow haters saying things like "Ive had to suffer so much I want the 3 more inches to say I survived the snowiest winter on record" to which I reply..."so you are 134 years old? :lmao: "  And while this winter has been a massive accomplishment/anamoly in every sense of the word (cold, snowfall, snow depth especially), I can always see coming in 2nd as being something for the complaint brigade to complain about during the down times :lol: (never mind that if Detroits records didnt start til the mid-1880s like most other stations, it would already be the snowiest winter "on record"). We were buried under snow for 3+ months...I have no shame if it comes in a spring snow that melts in 5 hours. Just give me 3 inches!

Yeah I figure you didnt peak as high as me. As Ive mentioned in previous posts....the warm air always finds a way to sneak its way into the southern burbs of Detroit on the SW wind on those few mild days we get (moreso than north of town). On my numerous trips to my best friends (25 miles NE of Detroit) its obvious their snow wasnt as deep all winter every time Id go up...yet last weekend they had a bit more left (after it was freshly torched away). My old drifts that were once 30" deep in the back are now like 5" deep lol (granted full sun)....and my snow piles that were 6 feet deep in Feb are now like 1-1.5 feet high (yet neighbor across the street in full shade still has a 4+ foot pile).

Never certain with the weather. I mean, Id like to think it would happen ESPECIALLY this winter. Especially now thats what EVERYONE has been talking about the last week or so when it comes to the weather. Snow haters saying things like "Ive had to suffer so much I want the 3 more inches to say I survived the snowiest winter on record" to which I reply..."so you are 134 years old? :lmao: "  And while this winter has been a massive accomplishment/anamoly in every sense of the word (cold, snowfall, snow depth especially), I can always see coming in 2nd as being something for the complaint brigade to complain about during the down times :lol: (never mind that if Detroits records didnt start til the mid-1880s like most other stations, it would already be the snowiest winter "on record"). We were buried under snow for 3+ months...I have no shame if it comes in a spring snow that melts in 5 hours. Just give me 3 inches!

Not EVERY sense... :whistle:

Yup, complainers will complain. If you get a 7" snowfall at some point and cruise past the record you'll have grumbing about not getting to 100". You do pretty well in April from what I recall. I'd still put my money on you getting there in the end.

Not EVERY sense... :whistle:

I should have powerball proofed my post lol. 6 storms of 6"+ (4 of which were 8"+ and 2 of which were 10"+) in a winter THIS cold is extraordinary. Remember...you are talking to someone who likes winter for WINTER not any one storm. I hope for your sake Detroit gets buried in a 4 foot storm next winter...but for me the bar has been set. Never will see another WINTER like this.

Yup, complainers will complain. If you get a 7" snowfall at some point and cruise past the record you'll have grumbing about not getting to 100". You do pretty well in April from what I recall. I'd still put my money on you getting there in the end.

April average is 1.7" but its hit or miss. We have actually been in a T every other year pattern for a while, and this is the year we are due. Need to break that pattern NOW lol.

Apr snowfall since 2000 at DTW

2000- 0.6"

2001- 0.9"

2002- T

2003- 5.0"

2004- T

2005- 4.3"

2006- T

2007- 1.6"

2008- T

2009- 7.4"

2010- T

2011- 1.6"

2012- T

2013- 0.1"

2014- ?

April average is 1.7" but its hit or miss. We have actually been in a T every other year pattern for a while, and this is the year we are due. Need to break that pattern NOW lol.

Apr snowfall since 2000 at DTW

2000- 0.6"

2001- 0.9"

2002- T

2003- 5.0"

2004- T

2005- 4.3"

2006- T

2007- 1.6"

2008- T

2009- 7.4"

2010- T

2011- 1.6"

2012- T

2013- 0.1"

2014- ?

You got hit with both the April 2-3, 2005 storm and the other one at the end of that month no? How'd you only total 4.3"?

I should have powerball proofed my post lol. 6 storms of 6"+ (4 of which were 8"+ and 2 of which were 10"+) in a winter THIS cold is extraordinary. Remember...you are talking to someone who likes winter for WINTER not any one storm. I hope for your sake Detroit gets buried in a 4 foot storm next winter...but for me the bar has been set. Never will see another WINTER like this.

Why bother even if he got everything this winter he would still complain ... :blahblah: 

Well let's be fair Detroit has not seen a major event in decades so I know what he's looking for until then he won't be super thrilled

I won't disagree that DTW has not seen any EPIC event.  Based on Climo Detroit got 2 top 25 snowstorms in 2014 this winter.  This means Detroit did get 2 Major snowstorms this winter.

My point is that based on his posts I know an EPIC event will not fix anything for him.  He may say it will but trust me it won't.

You do pretty well in April from what I recall. I'd still put my money on you getting there in the end.

I am not going to repost everything about April that you and Josh talked about.  If you see the trend we are due for a decent snow April as we seem get a decent snow event every 3 or 4 years.

Yes you would think that DTW will get those 3" with all this cold air still around.  It has honestly been annoying to see the snow valve turned off and the models suddenly giving DTW the middle finger when all you want is just 3".  Hopefully we'll break that snow record to put the cherry on top of this spectacular winter!!  If not still a spectacular winter!!

Archived