• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

Not sure about the models, but NWS text forecast yesterday suggested nothing would hit the area until after 2am. It seemed to me that the NAM was suggesting before 10pm. 

I completely agree that yesterday's NWS forecasts were calling for a late arrival of precip, as that's what the models during yesterday were showing.   But starting yesterday evening, a lot of guidance decided that convection could arrive much sooner, and they've kept that idea this morning.    The post in question talks about precip arriving this evening, much earlier than the models suggest it will, and that is not what the models have been suggesting for several cycles now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local model LWX WRF-NMM's 12z run shows some cells (discrete?) around the area at 11pm and then congealing into a small line over DCA around midnight

12z WRF-ARW4N has an intense cell/storm (supercell?) directly over Fairfax County at 10pm, and then random showers and storms for rest of the night... line approaches from NW Thursday morning, but falls apart before reaching us in VA, gets MD good for most part.  The "storm" that impacts the area comes from the during the 10pm hour has its origins from the area SW down by CHO and moves NE

Yes, probably grasping at straws here and cherry-picking the best model runs for us... but don't we all when we want storms?

I'm going for no md, no watch, one pity warning in the southern part of the CWA. Showers, with an cloud to cloud rumble thrown in somewhere. Was more excited about yesterday than ever was about today.

Masco seems to think we have a tornado watch coming later. 

lol

So far we have:

Yoda:  Pity MD, no watch, few token/meh warnings

Wxmeddler:  No MD, no watch, one pity warning in S LWX CWA

Snowfan: MD, no watch, 3 warnings

Scuddz -- 1-3, 2-5 N and W of DC, ending as wintry mix

Woodbine -- MD, Watch, two warnings

Anyone else want to play?

Yoda:  Pity MD, no watch, few token/meh warnings

Wxmeddler:  No MD, no watch, one pity warning in S LWX CWA

Snowfan: MD, no watch, 3 warnings

Scuddz -- 1-3, 2-5 N and W of DC, ending as wintry mix

Woodbine -- MD, Watch, two warnings

WxWatcher007 -- MD, no watch, 1-3 pity warnings and a lot of meh

AmericanWxFreak -- no MD, no watch, no warnings, just gusty showers

NorthArlington101 -- meh MD, two token warnings, good storm for DC proper

That's all I have for tonights severe weather guessing "game"... any one else want in?

Archived