joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake in SC

ghost

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. Shallower quakes can be felt a lot more than deeper ones. You've also got different rock composition along the east coast that allows the waves to spread out a lot more than the more rock solid west.

East of the Rocky Mountains, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. Western rock is relatively young, therefore it absorbs much of the shaking caused by earthquakes. Thus, western earthquakes result in intense shaking close to the epicenter, but fade more quickly the farther the earthquakes travel. In the eastern United States the rock is much older, and the earthquake energy can therefore spread farther and have a greater impact. 

In addition to that, the average shallow earthquake is at least 40 miles deep, so for this one to be only 3 miles deep and occur the way that it did is pretty interesting.

This was posted a few minutes ago on the Austin Rhodes Show fb page:

Just spoke with the director of Augusta utilities...the gushing water at the National Hills water tower is an overflow release. Power failure impacted the water department's remote monitoring devices. When the tank gets too full, because they are not reducing the pressure remotely, the overflow valve pops. It is a new system, which explains why people who have seen that tank for 50 years, like me, have never seen this happen before. It startled me too...but everything is fine.

I saw that it was 2.9 miles below the surface. That's pretty shallow, so maybe that's why it felt more intense. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it seems I've heard that in the past.

It's not just the depth - it's in very large measure to do with the type of ground/rock the waves must travel through between the epicenter and where you are.  This is why in some cases someone further away will see more shaking or to be more specific a different type of shaking (rocking or jarring or other) than a site that's technically closer to the epicenter.

Archived