• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake in SC

ghost

nice map - i had no idea there were so many faults around the se lol.   i pretty much figured the big charleston one like ages ago was a fluke. apparently not

Nope there are a lot of faults here.  They aren't as active on a near-daily basis as the ones up and down the western seaboard states.

But we do occasionally have pretty big quakes in the East.  Kind of like having a 100 or 300 year storm.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SC holds the record for east coast quakes as well I shudder to think what a repeat of this one would do to the east coast.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_earthquake

It would be very bad because we really don't build to any kind of earthquake safety codes here.  You would not believe the building code in CA counties.

It's not just the depth - it's in very large measure to do with the type of ground/rock the waves must travel through between the epicenter and where you are.  This is why in some cases someone further away will see more shaking or to be more specific a different type of shaking (rocking or jarring or other) than a site that's technically closer to the epicenter.

It is certainly a combination of the two. (Depth/Composition) Earthquakes are very common here with a 3.0 - 4.0 occurring within 150 miles happening once a week on average and a 4.0 - 5.0 and sometimes higher occurring once a month on average. I have noticed the ones that occur North and West of Davao are not felt as strongly as the ones that occur South and East. (mostly under water)  It also seems that the shallower quakes are more violent in the shaking while the deeper ones feel more like a wavy motion. It almost feels like the ground is like a liquid for several seconds which is hard for me to explain. 

I sure as hell felt it and I even saw it in action..well sort of. I was in the guest bathroom taking a piss (hehe) when I felt the shaking. At the same time, I heard something that sounded like distant thunder but not quite. I had filled my tub up just in case the power went out but I had not let the water out yet. I figured I might as well just live it there through today just in case the winds today could cause some weakened trees to fall over.

Well when I felt it, I look over and there were ripples in the water and i saw some of the things on the wall moving around/shaking. I was like wtf..was that an earthquake? But i didn't think about it much afterwards and in fact I had not thought anything about it until I just saw on the news a few minutes that it had happened...and I instantly remembered what happened last night and thought "cool!"

I sure as hell felt it and I even saw it in action..well sort of. I was in the guest bathroom taking a piss (hehe) when I felt the shaking. At the same time, I heard something that sounded like distant thunder but not quite. I had filled my tub up just in case the power went out but I had not let the water out yet. Well I look over and there are ripples in the water. I was like wtf..was that an earthquake? But i didn't think about it much and in fact I had not thought anything about it until I just saw on the news a few minutes that it had happened...and I instantly remembered what happened last night and thought "cool!"

Chris, you better stay far away from that ledge!.....hahahah. Matter of fact you may need to retire that thing (or re-name it metal cliff :axe: ). You have run the gamit this winter with weather for sure.

That was freakin awesome! Sounded like a freight train then the whole house rolled for several seconds   :D

EDIT: That was my second earthquake here in the past couple of years   :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Just strong enough to be cool and weak enough to not cause problems. I've felt quakes several times over the years and it's always cool in my book. 

But I've always gotten really disappointed if there was one and I didn't feel it while places hundreds of miles further away than  here would feel it. Most of the time I didn't feel them because I wasn't paying attention too much or was distracted. I know this because a few times my family and friends around here felt it but I didn't. It's sort of like the western half of the state getting a big snow storm while it's partly cloudy and 45 here in the case of no one around here feeling it. But if my family/neighbors feel it, it's like my neighbor across the road gets hit with a snow storm while I wouldn't get a flake lol

Chris, you better stay far away from that ledge!.....hahahah. Matter of fact you may need to retire that thing (or re-name it metal cliff :axe: ). You have run the gamit this winter with weather for sure.

lol no it's never going to retire or be destroyed. For any good luck I have, I'll have bad luck two or three times as bad. :axe:

It would be very bad because we really don't build to any kind of earthquake safety codes here.  You would not believe the building code in CA counties.

I saw something on the discovery channel or the history channel a while back that said that if/when there is another new madrid earthquake like those in the past..there would be damage all the way into georgia and felt well into the carolinas.  For example there has been earthquakes out there that was felt as far away as charleston sc and I believe there was even some damage to some homes/buildings as far away as savannah.

I can't imagine the destruction if such a thing were to happen these days.

I saw something on the discovery channel or the history channel a while back that said that if/when there is another new madrid earthquake like those in the past..there would be damage all the way into georgia and felt well into the carolinas.  For example there has been earthquakes out there that was felt as far away as charleston sc and I believe there was even some damage to some homes/buildings as far away as savannah.

If the fault around charleston, sc ever goes the southeast is in for one hell of an event.

I sure as hell felt it and I even saw it in action..well sort of. I was in the guest bathroom taking a piss (hehe) when I felt the shaking. At the same time, I heard something that sounded like distant thunder but not quite. I had filled my tub up just in case the power went out but I had not let the water out yet. I figured I might as well just live it there through today just in case the winds today could cause some weakened trees to fall over.

Well when I felt it, I look over and there were ripples in the water and i saw some of the things on the wall moving around/shaking. I was like wtf..was that an earthquake? But i didn't think about it much afterwards and in fact I had not thought anything about it until I just saw on the news a few minutes that it had happened...and I instantly remembered what happened last night and thought "cool!"

I have a 55 gallon aquarium in my living room and I looked over to see it shaking and the water rippling back and forth.

The Charleston SC earthquake in 1886 is still the worst known earthquake east of the Mississippi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1886_Charleston_earthquake

"Major damage occurred as far away as Tybee Island, Georgia, (more than 60 miles away) and structural damage was reported several hundred miles from Charleston (including central Alabama, central Ohio, eastern Kentucky, southern Virginia and western West Virginia). It was felt as far away as Boston to the north, Chicago and Milwaukee to the northwest, as far west as New Orleans, as far south as Cuba, and as far east as Bermuda.

The earthquake is estimated to have been between 6.6 and 7.3 on the Richter scale with a Mercalli Intensity of X. Sandblows were common throughout the affected area due to liquefaction of the soil. More than 300 aftershocks of the 1886 earthquake occurred within 35 years. Minor earthquake activity that still continues in the area today may be a continuation of aftershocks. It also caused 60 fatalities."

It is even by default the most damaging earthquake in NC history as well I mean it caused the church bells to ring in Asheville lol

http://nchistorytoday.wordpress.com/tag/earthquake/

On August 31, 1886, at 9:50 PM, the largest earthquake ever recorded on the east coast of the United States destroyed homes and other property in Charleston, S.C., leaving as many as 150 dead in that city alone. Registering between 6.6 and 7.3 on the modern Richter scale, the quake cracked chimneys and plaster walls across North Carolina.

The bell in Asheville’s city hall tolled as the ground shook.

Here's some reading if you're interested...it concerns a seismic zone that is adjacent to New Madrid.  It's sort of the new kid on the block in terms of getting attention but it has caused some moderate earthquakes in recent years and big ones in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabash_Valley_Seismic_Zone 

Yes, damage would be severe and pretty widespread.  Like I said, we do not have building codes in the southeast that focus on earthquake stability, because generally speaking we simply don't take the time and money to plan for extremely rare events.  (Heck, given the road situation here when it snows/ices, it's pretty clear we don't take the time and money for frequent events either, lol!).   Lots of structures could simply collapse.  Even in a one or two story home where the house itself remains structurally ok, chimneys would fall away from the house, fences would fall over, and so on.  In downtown areas with lots of taller office buildings and apartment type buildings it would be very bad.  Bridges and overpasses would suffer greatly as well.

I lived out west for a number of years, and through some pretty major quakes while I was there.  Being in a severe one is not really describable.  The noise is overwhelming, not to mention the disorientation associated with the ground moving under your feet - and everything around you rattling to bits.  The aftermath is a bit like surviving a southern ice storm, except there's lots of broken stuff in your house on top of the fact that you have no electricity or water.  Although I think the noise is the most unexpected thing, before I was in my first "big one" I had no idea how loud it would be.  Loud isn't even a good word for it.

Yes, damage would be severe and pretty widespread.  Like I said, we do not have building codes in the southeast that focus on earthquake stability, because generally speaking we simply don't take the time and money to plan for extremely rare events.  (Heck, given the road situation here when it snows/ices, it's pretty clear we don't take the time and money for frequent events either, lol!).   Lots of structures could simply collapse.  Even in a one or two story home where the house itself remains structurally ok, chimneys would fall away from the house, fences would fall over, and so on.  In downtown areas with lots of taller office buildings and apartment type buildings it would be very bad.  Bridges and overpasses would suffer greatly as well.

I lived out west for a number of years, and through some pretty major quakes while I was there.  Being in a severe one is not really describable.  The noise is overwhelming, not to mention the disorientation associated with the ground moving under your feet - and everything around you rattling to bits.  The aftermath is a bit like surviving a southern ice storm, except there's lots of broken stuff in your house on top of the fact that you have no electricity or water.  Although I think the noise is the most unexpected thing, before I was in my first "big one" I had no idea how loud it would be.  Loud isn't even a good word for it.

Yeah, we had an earthquake epicentered here in Germantown, MD a few years ago.  It was only a 3.6 I think, so not much shaking, but the noise was still incredible.  I had just laid down to go to sleep and all of a sudden I hear this loud roaring outside.  I remember getting out of bed and thinking a plane must have crashed or something.  My grandma slept through it somehow.  Cool experience!

Yeah, crazy! I did not feel this one, but that's impressive for around here, and to just be an aftershock?!!

I miss out on all of them. Even when I close to the center of a small one in SC in 1998(I think) i just woke up to pictures knocked off the mantle.

I hope these aren't foreshocks. No one would really know till after the fact though

I hope not either,but yeah you're right, you won't know until after.

Archived