Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake in SC

ghost

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have seen a couple of different reports of the magnitude, from 4.1 - 5.4

even though our geology is different than out west, from the reports here and on the internet of the shaking (it was rattling stuff here) i find it hard to believe it was on the lower end (not that i am an earthquake expert by any means :lol:). 

even though our geology is different than out west, from the reports here and on the internet of the shaking (it was rattling stuff here) i find it hard to believe it was on the lower end (not that i am an earthquake expert by any means :lol:).

I saw that it was 2.9 miles below the surface. That's pretty shallow, so maybe that's why it felt more intense. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it seems I've heard that in the past.

Even smaller earthquakes can shake large areas on the eastern seaboard compared to those in the rest of the US....the one in Virginia a few years back was felt from Boston to Charleston and was 5.8 I think.

I saw that it was 2.9 miles below the surface. That's pretty shallow, so maybe that's why it felt more intense. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it seems I've heard that in the past.

The rock is different in the east.  Quakes are felt over a much wider area than a similar sized quake would be out west.

i think you are correct, the shallower (is that a word?) the earthquake the stronger the shaking.  that seems pretty shallow

Even smaller earthquakes can shake large areas on the eastern seaboard compared to those in the rest of the US....the one in Virginia a few years back was felt from Boston to Charleston and was 5.8 I think.

indeed it was a 5.8 back in Aug 2011. I was at Dulles Airport and it sounded like a jet engine just hit the reverse thrust and it was next to the A-B concourse. It was pretty wild at the time

Yup. Shallower quakes can be felt a lot more than deeper ones. You've also got different rock composition along the east coast that allows the waves to spread out a lot more than the more rock solid west.

East of the Rocky Mountains, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. Western rock is relatively young, therefore it absorbs much of the shaking caused by earthquakes. Thus, western earthquakes result in intense shaking close to the epicenter, but fade more quickly the farther the earthquakes travel. In the eastern United States the rock is much older, and the earthquake energy can therefore spread farther and have a greater impact. 

Archived