• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20-21 Heavy Rain/Flooding/High Wind Threat

Hoosier

12z Euro has 35-40kt sustained winds over eastern Iowa late tomorrow afternoon as the low bombs into Wisconsin.  Shows 60-65kts at 900mb.  Should yield high wind warning winds over much of the area.

Expecting a half inch to inch of rain tonight/early tomorrow before dry slot.  Can't wait to hear some thunder again.  Not expecting anything other than wind blown flurries tomorrow night in the back wash.

BUFKIT looks impressive across the area.  Looks like there's a window where gusts could get into the 60-65 mph range with several hours of 50 mph or greater either side of that.  Probably going to be some power outages.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUFKIT looks impressive across the area.  Looks like there's a window where gusts could get into the 60-65 mph range with several hours of 50 mph or greater either side of that.  Probably going to be some power outages.

Was just thinking that myself.  Time to make sure the laptop's charged up.

Sitting with about 5-6" of snow in sunny areas of my yard. So the rain will have a chance to pound away at the concrete layer tomorrow in places. An average of 11" in shaded areas. 14" tops where it drifted.

Grass patches are common now, especially just over the border in Wisconsin. 

Interesting to hear you and dmc say that...today did a huge hit "around the edges" but actual depth is only about 2" lower than it was at 8am.

The center of fields here lost nearly nothing... I mean, flat, isolated fields.

Now my neighborhood took a hit.

21-22" depth to 15" today :yikes:

Edit 5-6" lost since 1 pm. Rapid melt.

Wow that's more than I lost /compacted mostly about ~3" max here.  I notice my temps got stuck at 40 and were already down to 38 at 4:45PM and 36 by 6:30.  Dripping has stopped here as of 7:30.  Solid crust layer on top now.   Being rural (nothing but farms, lakes and woods around) must really help. 

Wow that's more than I lost /compacted mostly about ~3" here.  I notice my temps got stuck at 40 and were already down to 38 at 4:45PM and 36 by 6:30.  Dripping has stopped here as of 7:30.  Solid crust layer on top now.   Being rural (nothing but farms, lakes and woods around) must really help. 

When the sun went down, we had a crust layer form and even then the outside temp was 38. My guess is that the cold ground and snow below acted like a hockey rink and cooled the above layer down when the sun wasn't there to tip it over the edge into melting.

When the sun went down, we had a crust layer form and even then the outside temp was 38. My guess is that the cold ground and snow below acted like a hockey rink and cooled the above layer down when the sun wasn't there to tip it over the edge into melting.

This crust layer will be helpful tomorrow IF the temps don't go out of control.  Any further NW trend would not help.

Looks like a disagreement on snow depth at ORD between observers...

7" depth at 12z, 9" at 18z and now 6" at 0z.

RFD and LOT are at 8" as of 0z.

:lmao:

I never remember a winter when snow depth was so hard to measure on a daily basis because a winter long snowcover that has had so much drifting. Every spot seems to be a different depth, so obviously the depth is going to be the observers best discretion. But at least check the last observation!

This crust layer will be helpful tomorrow IF the temps don't go out of control.  Any further NW trend would not help.

The only sucky thing is that I don't see much snow coming over the next 10 days, just a few inches would revert the landscape back to pre-torch. 

The same thing happened here, I actually broke my yard stick trying to measure how much snow melted (only 3" melted still have 15" of my glacier left) and it was still 39 out at the time, and the sidewalks and road froze up too, thinking the icing here is going to be bad tomorrow now!

Wow that's more than I lost /compacted mostly about ~3" max here.  I notice my temps got stuck at 40 and were already down to 38 at 4:45PM and 36 by 6:30.  Dripping has stopped here as of 7:30.  Solid crust layer on top now.   Being rural (nothing but farms, lakes and woods around) must really help. 

Well I do live in a newer sub. We have little in the way of trees. So we don't get much protection from the sun. That could be one reason. I know driving around today seeing homes that is covered or is around wooded areas it did look like they lost nothing. 

Temps right now is 34. should be no problem to get to the low 20's tonight. 

...DAMAGING WINDS POSSIBLE THURSDAY EVENING AND NIGHT...

ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>022-INZ001-002-201130-
/O.NEW.KLOT.HW.A.0001.140221T0000Z-140221T1200Z/
WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE IL-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-COOK-
LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-LAKE IN-PORTER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...
WAUKEGAN...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON...CHICAGO...
OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...JOLIET...GARY...VALPARAISO
927 PM CST WED FEB 19 2014

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE
THURSDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE
THURSDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...EARLY THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

* WINDS...SUSTAINED SOUTHWEST TO WEST WINDS TO 40 MPH AND GUSTS
OF 50 TO 60 MPH.

* IMPACTS...WINDS THIS STRONG MAY RESULT IN TREE DAMAGE...EASILY
TOSS LIGHTWEIGHT UNSECURED OBJECTS AND MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS FOR
HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A HAZARDOUS
HIGH WIND EVENT. SUSTAINED WINDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH...OR GUSTS OF
58 MPH OR STRONGER MAY OCCUR. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST
FORECASTS.

I'm thinking the soft/spongy snow will soak up a lot of the rain in this area.  The big problem will be the many streets/side roads that have their storm drains blocked by massive mountains of icy snow.  There will be a lot of roads with street flooding tomorrow, but that's not that big of a deal in most cases. 

Gonna be very windy around here tomorrow eve. Disagree with DVN in not going with high wind watches. LOT has the right idea. Gonna reach warning criteria in many areas tomorrow evening.

gust_t710m_f24.png

Tried to convince them to get on board with us, MKX and ILX but alas...

The high wind signal looks at least as good as it does in their eastern areas (far eastern IA, northwest/west central IL) as it does in the LOT CWA. Top of the mixed layer on BUFKIT pushing 60 kt, especially on the 00z NAM, with the mean mixed layer gusts close to criteria.

Archived