• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20-21 Heavy Rain/Flooding/High Wind Threat

Hoosier

I lost about 25% of my snowpack.... The fact that the warmest temps came at night was a big bonus, as well as the additional snow that fell yesterday. I looked at the water content maps and it barely changed, there is still 4-5 inches of water content in my snowpack.

I took a pic of a cable box Wednesday afternoon and it was flush with the top of the snow, came home at 4pm yesterday and it was actually reburied, took a look at it this morning and the top 3 inches were exposed. This box is about 16 inches high I'm guessing.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lost about 25% of my snowpack.... The fact that the warmest temps came at night was a big bonus, as well as the additional snow that fell yesterday. I looked at the water content maps and it barely changed, there is still 4-5 inches of water content in my snowpack.

I took a pic of a cable box Wednesday afternoon and it was flush with the top of the snow, came home at 4pm yesterday and it was actually reburied, took a look at it this morning and the top 3 inches were exposed. This box is about 16 inches high I'm guessing.

I had 21" on the ground with 3.6" water on Tuesday....I now have 14" on the ground with 4.0" water. What you lost in depth you gained in mass, and some.

Snow melt and rain didn't cause any problems other than some street flooding around here. However, I spent the day dealing with an ice jam on the Little River here in town. 40 homes affected with 20 of those evacuated.

attachicon.gifIce Jam 2.jpg

attachicon.gifIce jam 3.jpg

attachicon.gifIce jam 4.jpg

Ice jam flooding around here too

http://wlfi.com/2014/02/21/ice-jam-floods-homes-forces-evacuations/

Just an update on our Little River ice jam. A 12-18" thick slab of ice, a hundred yards long, was butted up against an abandoned railroad trestle. Behind it were massive piles of ice stretching back another 4 city blocks. We took a tower fire truck and shot a stream of high pressure water into the slab. After 30 minutes, the ice started breaking up and what followed was a parade of icebergs through downtown Huntington. It was an amazing sight. Unfortunately, I was coordinating operations from our Emergency Operations Center, but I could watch the ice flow down the river from a window. It looked like a lava flow.

We're dealing with a fairly significant ice jam in our area too, on the Kankakee River near Wilmington IL. Stage was almost up to major at the gauge but then the jam broke free and then jammed up again, affecting a more residential area downstream. People living there are having to take action to protect their property.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We're dealing with a fairly significant ice jam in our area too, on the Kankakee River near Wilmington IL. Stage was almost up to major at the gauge but then the jam broke free and then jammed up again, affecting a more residential area downstream. People living there are having to take action to protect their property.

Sent from my SCH-I535

It's not pretty, but we were fortunate that only about 30 homes were affected.

Archived