joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20-21 Heavy Rain/Flooding/High Wind Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have full snow cover here....the only place that is void of it now are paved areas and rooftops that saw direct sunlight...otherwise it looks like depths only shrunk by about a third.  Yard spots that see full sunlight still average a depth of about 4 to 5 inches...I think the snowpack will absorb a good chunk of the overnight precip around here...then we will have to see how the afternoon unfolds for DP's and any rain/storms.

12z Euro has 35-40kt sustained winds over eastern Iowa late tomorrow afternoon as the low bombs into Wisconsin.  Shows 60-65kts at 900mb.  Should yield high wind warning winds over much of the area.

Expecting a half inch to inch of rain tonight/early tomorrow before dry slot.  Can't wait to hear some thunder again.  Not expecting anything other than wind blown flurries tomorrow night in the back wash.

Interesting...we didnt lose as much as you today. Maybe its because we lost more yesterday? Obviously, as it has been all winter, snow depth very variable, but I had 21" at 7am yesterday, 18" at 7am this morning, and 16" now.

Maybe it was more powdery up here? That February 1 storm did not get any rain up here it was all snow so I don't know and who knows.

Maybe it was more powdery up here? That February 1 storm did not get any rain up here it was all snow so I don't know and who knows.

like I said in the Feb discussion thread...it was interesting that the snow took on such a more tattered appearance today. Without actually measuring depth the average joe would think we lost nothing yesterday and a lot today. But I took several depth measurments in the same spot (since it varies so much) and it went down from 21" to 18" yesterday without losing any of its scenic appeal, and 18" to 16" today while becoming quite sloppy lol. Tomorrow all the models indicate the bulk of the rain falls when its in the low to mid 30s, so I would venture to say that how high we spike tomorrow evening ahead of the front will have a big say in total snowmelt as well as flooding concerns.

Archived