• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15 clipper/redeveloper

ORH_wxman

I think you're right pending whether or not the band moving in now approaching Weymouth gets here.

Bouchard is heavily heding for you now but it seems premature.  The best is just coming in now and it may well pivot up over Boston and even as far back as Ray with the pivot point being around taunton as it rotates NW later.

Hmm interesting look on radar right now. Stuff is collapsing towards me, and that stuff down towards the canal isn't moving much.

I hope that stuff starts making a push.

Starting to think I may be to far nw.

You're on the edge.  Bouchards radar shows it collapsing SE but if you look...there's a push NW. 

Take a close look around Sharon..that band is making headway NW again.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bouchard is heavily heding for you now but it seems premature. The best is just coming in now and it may well pivot up over Boston and even as far back as Ray with the pivot point being around taunton as it rotates NW later.

You're on the edge. Bouchards radar shows it collapsing SE but if you look...there's a push NW.

Take a close look around Sharon..that band is making headway NW again.

Yup, the last few frames it shows it making some movement. I might be sweating it out.

Difference between 8" and 12-14"

640 PM UPDATE...

HEAVY SNOW BAND ALIGNED FROM PROVIDENCE TO NEAR QUINCY...POINTS

SOUTH AND EAST EARLY THIS EVENING. SOME PLACES ALONG THE SOUTH

COAST HAVE ALREADY MEASURED BETWEEN 5 AND 6.5 INCHES. EVERYONE WAS

CURRENTLY SNOW...EXCEPT NANTUCKET/OUTER CAPE WHERE THERE WAS A

MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW. THESE LOCATIONS SHOULD TURN OVER TO HEAVY

SNOW IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS AS LOW BOMBS OUT.

OVERALL...HIGH CONFIDENCE IN HEAVY SNOW FOCUSING ACROSS SOUTHEAST

MA AND CAPE COD OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS. THE MAIN UNCERTAINTY

IS DOES THIS BAND PUSH INTO THE BOSTON...NORTH SHORE REGION. SOME

OF THE MESOSCALE MODELS HAVE BACKED OFF ON THIS THE LAST FEW HOURS.

THEIR TREND MIGHT BE RIGHT...BUT SEEMS LIKE THEY MAY HAVE GONE TOO

FAR GIVEN UPPER LEVEL SETUP. STILL A VERY TOUGH FORECAST AS MODELS

CONTINUE TO SHOW A VERY TIGHT GRADIENT NEAR I-95...WHERE THE HEAVY

QPF CUTS OFF.

ALL IN ALL...JUST MADE SOME MINOR TWEAKS TO DECREASE SNOW TOTALS

JUST A TAD ACROSS THE NORTHEAST MA REGION. NO CHANGES TO THE REST

OF THE FORECAST.

This is just me talking out loud but there are two scenarios IMHO right now for BOS.

Scenario 1. It gets really awesome for like 2-3 hours but heaviest stuff just tickles the terminal and then moves east. Total is like 5-7" or so perhaps.

Scenario 2) This would be the GFS despite the QPF...heavy banding gets into the area and it snows 2-3"/hr. Totals would approach a foot or so.

This morning I felt comfortable with the 6-10...actually I liked BOX map....I think Will even mentioned it as well. These little ticks east or west are detrimental. Going above 10" for a a snowstorm lasting 8 hrs or so is not easy so you have to be confident.

Toned down scenario 1.

I think a issue that models may not have picked up on .(until 18z for nam and 0z gfs).. Or box on their 645 pm update disco (bc it bombed) or Harv

Was what Barcolonic instability said in back to back posts on Friday

I still think it makes sense, however, that the frontogenesis max ends slightly farther E given the wiped out Gulf Stream and the more likely position of the warm front.

I.e the jet stream fuel was not hi octane and this in the end made the difference between being a epic bomb for cape and warning snows where Harv and box thought

Probably linked somewhere else, but this succinctly depicts the evisceration of the deep Gulf Stream moisture: http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimic-tpw/natl/main.html

The spent atmosphere idea has legs and the eviscarated Gulf Stream was a clue as to ...is it?

This could have been special if the Gulf Stream was not wiped out by a storm so large 36 hrs prior , so large that said storm had 3/13/93 as a #3 analog, that looks tom have capped development on what otherwise would have had better atlantic inflow and moisture to work with

I don't agree.

I didnt think you would bc you said "tell 1996 that"

But i am inclined to think it was a key wrt why things played out.

I would like to hear more from Barcolonic instability or other out of region mets on that. I think he is a extremely insightful met.

It would seem Box didnt see this as important and obviously lol i didnt pick up on this ... It was fed to me but i find it hard to believe a spent Gulf Stream didnt effect such a bomb feeding on it

I would like to hear more from Barcolonic instability or other out of region mets on that. I think he is a extremely insightful met.

It would seem Box didnt see this as important and obviously lol i didnt pick up on this ... It was fed to me but i find it hard to believe a spent Gulf Stream didnt effect such a bomb feeding on it

I already stated why. It was a tad progressive and shifted east like 20-30 miles. I don't think people near the canal are complaining about wave placements. When you have a sharp cutoff west of the deformation area..it's going to be critical where this ends up. So instead I got what BOS was going to get and areas like GHG got what I was going to get. This wasn't a bust out west either. It was only in a narrow area that mattered most near the deformation and this happened to be BOS metro. It's important to keep this in perception. There was plenty of juice with this...that was not the issue. This is a progressive pattern...that has more of a say then wave placement. Wave placement obviously matters, but it's important not to get wrapped up in this stuff. Models are good...of course they can resolve moisture issues in 2014...this isn't 1996 anymore.

I think what Jason was pointing out was that inherent baroclinicity would be displaced farther E, as CAA behind the departing system shoved the warm air southward.

Archived