joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 Potential Snowstorm II

earthlight

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude , this is not missing you in the least . You miss Northern branch features on arctic waves . This southern branch feature will scorch everyone . Ignore the GFS . Its the typical bias . look at the UKMET 500MB , no one gona miss

The UKMET taken verbatim would deliver widespread prolific snowfall rates and totals to a wide area for the first time since 03' if im correct in interpreting its outcome paul

Dude , this is not missing you in the least . You miss Northern branch features on arctic waves . This southern branch feature will scorch everyone . Ignore the GFS . Its the typical bias . look at the UKMET 500MB , no one gona miss

I agree. Miller A's bomb us. Hopefully we can watch the wall of precip come east to west here in the HV.

They'd probably wait until tomorrow afternoon. It is possible if all holds serve at 0z and 6z that we'd see a watch go up as early as tomorrow morning.

Mt. Holly's discussion this morning set the stage for waiting until tomorrow's 0Z models before taking action, based on the assumption that the PacNW energy will be onshore by then.

The Canadian may be briefly borderline at 850 at 78 hours...but the dynamic cooling leaves me certain that this would still be a major snowstorm for everybody.

Joe Sobel used to say , you have to smell the rain , if u want the best snows. 

Keep in mind too ATL, DFW are both seeing winter precip the next day or two, that means Delta, AA, and Southwest are all gonna be hurting, there may be flights cancelled between two cities not even impacted by the weather.

I'm connecting to a flight at ATL midday on Friday (my flight from LGA is supposed to leave first thing Fri morning at 6am). Looks like they clear out by late Wednesday leaving approx two days to get it together. 40s/50s on Thurs/Fri should help.

Looks like a huge hit on the Canadian..not only do we get the initial slug of precipitation but the surface low goes inside the benchmark and the CCB hangs overhead for 12 hours afterward.

If the GFS made your fingers tingle, does this get the toes going, too? 

Of course "anything" can happen, but do you foresee any of the models losing this for a run or two or are we well beyond that stage?

Mt. Holly's discussion this morning set the stage for waiting until tomorrow's 0Z models before taking action, based on the assumption that the PacNW energy will be onshore by then.

If these trends continue through 6z or 12z tomorrow morning they'll at least put up the Winter Storm Watch some time tomorrow.

That would be too late.. 24-36 hours before start time to take action is way too late.. I think Winter Storm Watches go up well before that time.. By tonight's 00z runs we will have a good idea, but by tomorrow's 12z runs we will know our fate.. 

Archived