• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 Potential Snowstorm II

earthlight

Sorry about this, but I need a straight answer so I can decide if I need to change travel arrangements.  I have a flight that gets into Newark at 5PM Friday.  AS MODELED, will have trouble getting into Newark Friday?  I know it looks like everything ends Friday morning, but I haven't flown into Newark right after a major storm (or any airport for that matter) and it would seem to me this could potentially keep me stuck in Houston for another day.

TIA

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about this, but I need a straight answer so I can decide if I need to change travel arrangements.  I have a flight that gets into Newark at 5PM Friday.  AS MODELED, will have trouble getting into Newark Friday?  I know it looks like everything ends Friday morning, but I haven't flown into Newark right after a major storm (or any airport for that matter) and it would seem to me this could potentially keep me stuck in Houston for another day.

TIA

Should be ok by then.    I flew out of LGA last week about 3 hrs after the storm stopped and they had it cleaned up pretty good. 

Da hot dogs are out toniiight. 

Hello guys new to this forum im from Nova Scotia hope yous down mind me coming in asking questions for my area , and i can join in discussions ! 

shane, this is a forum specific to the new york city metropolitan area, we will most definitely ignore any questions you ask about NS. Also, people everywhere in this forum will probably ignore any question like "how many centimeters of snow will i get at my house"

Yanks fan 27. When you say 1.5" qpf is that liquid to snow ration? An if so what are the ratio

QPF is quantitative precipitation forecast. Aka the amount of liquid precipitation. Nothing to do with snow ratios. QPF is something thats forecasted for all seasons, just how much water will fall from the sky. the ratio is going to be middle-low because of how warm it is, on a typical storm the ratio is 10:1. The super heavy snow we just had was about 5:1 (just a guess?) and the really light snow we had early last week was about 20:1 (another guess?) we dont know what it's going to be now, for the models are in the early stages of pinning down the location of the low and amount of cold air.

Hello guys new to this forum im from Nova Scotia hope yous down mind me coming in asking questions for my area , and i can join in discussions ! 

welcome to the madness.  with everyone in here focused on tight gradients and big implications locally, dont know that you're going to get any great insight for the canadian maritimes. 

Going to be interesting to see the 18z GFS , i have a feeling its going to nudge a little east . ,. i believe all the ingredients will be onshore from the pacific ? in these 18z runs def by 0z runs tonight ? 

I think the GFS is still coming back west.  it has been moving that way for multiple runs, and I doubt it's finished. I am personally worried this comes to far west. 

Going to be interesting to see the 18z GFS , i have a feeling its going to nudge a little east . ,. i believe all the ingredients will be onshore from the pacific ? in these 18z runs def by 0z runs tonight ? 

Pointed out by the HPC earlier. (Thanks to Eskimo Joe)

AN IMPORTANT NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE HAD NOT YET COME ASHORE

INTO BRITISH COLUMBIA THIS MORNING...SO SOME MARKED TRENDS MAY BE

YET TO COME.

THE 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET...HOWEVER...ARE CONSISTENT WITH

THE CURRENT TRENDS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH GIVES US SOME

CONFIDENCE IN RECOMMENDING THEM. 

Oops -- sorry. SREF are west/northwest of the 09z run. 0.75" QPF nearly to NYC. Tighter gradient on the NW Side. Perfect track.

Lot of corrections today john, get on your game! Its almost crunchtime and your making these small mistakes already, americanwx prophet should be much better than this :lol:. SREF's look great btw especially NYC and better for coastal regions temp wise

Pointed out by the HPC earlier. (Thanks to Eskimo Joe)

I think the southern stream wave is inland now over CA, but the northern stream isn't fully sampled yet. Given the consistency in the models to this point, I think it would take a lot for a marked shift. Just because the S/W isn't on land doesn't mean the models have no clue.

Oops -- sorry. SREF are west/northwest of the 09z run. 0.75" QPF nearly to NYC. Tighter gradient on the NW Side. Perfect track.

QPF and particularly the MSLP is further east, with respect to 09z. MSLP Spread on the west side has also decreased significantly. More certain, at least according to the SREF, that this isn't hugging the coast.

QPF and particularly the MSLP is further east, with respect to 09z. MSLP Spread on the west side has also decreased significantly. More certain, at least according to the SREF, that this isn't hugging the coast.

I mean, we're over analyzing here, but for the record I am staring at the zoomed in high resolution graphics and it very clearly nudged northwest with the higher QPF totals (.50".75" 1.00" lines). The northwest fringe has a sharper gradient.

I think the southern stream wave is inland now over CA, but the northern stream isn't fully sampled yet. Given the consistency in the models to this point, I think it would take a lot for a marked shift. Just because the S/W isn't on land doesn't mean the models have no clue.

Exactly, but it does help. 

grearth2014-02-1014-43-27-75.png

Archived