• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 Potential Snowstorm II

earthlight

I don't buy the nw shift or the se shift...any trend is going to come from the strength and timing of that northern impulse that has yet to be sampled. Weaker and we get the euro tight to coast solution...stronger it bumps the low farther east ala ukie.

I would like to reference northern stream S/W tendencies this winter. Models have consistently had them weaker only to have them more potent as they've gotten closer to the event. I see no reason why this will not be in play here either.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy the nw shift or the se shift...any trend is going to come from the strength and timing of that northern impulse that has yet to be sampled. Weaker and we get the euro tight to coast solution...stronger it bumps the low farther east ala ukie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

I agree. The reason I said in the first few pages that those hoping for a hugger will find themselves banging their heads against the desk in the next 24 hours. I'm out on a limb and

none of this is due to weenie hopes for my location. This goes east. 50-75 miles from where it is currently shown. Right now I don't think anyone "Loses" with this but it's going east. Beat me up if you want lol

I would like to reference northern stream S/W tendencies this winter. Models have consistently had them weaker only to have them more potent as they've gotten closer to the event. I see no reason why this will not be in play here either.

Yup was just going to post similar. I do not buy the Euro basically asserting that the kicker will have the minor impact depicted. Euro doesn't do well with these kickers without proper sampling which it won't have until tomorrow.

I think the euro is too tucked in. It's been having trouble resolving the Northern Stream all season, and I don't believe this situation is any different in this regard. The shortwave kicker over the GL is going to keep this from backing into the coast.

The GFS I believe is handling the northern stream energy better, but is not nailing down the southern stream energy as the Euro is renowned for. Additionally the GFS is most likely too far east, due to its typical bias within this range. The surface reflection according the H500, looks too strung out and too far east.

Currently I like a compromise of the 12z Euro/12z GFS, which would take this system 50 miles or so within the BM.

I think the euro is too tucked in. It's been having trouble resolving the Northern Stream all season, and I don't believe this situation is any different in this regard. The shortwave kicker over the GL is going to keep this from backing into the coast.

The GFS I believe is handling the northern stream energy better, but is not nailing down the southern stream energy as the Euro is renowned for. Additionally the GFS is most likely too far east, due to its typical bias within this range. The surface reflection according the H500, looks too strung out and too far east.

Currently I like a compromise of the 12z Euro/12z GFS, which would take this system 50 miles or so within the BM.

My thoughts exactly and that's basically the 12z UKIE.

Hpc

EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

ON THE LARGE SCALE A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM CERTAINLY APPEARS IN

ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL MODELS. PRECIPITATION IS FOCUSED INITIALLY

ALONG A MID LEVEL FRONTAL ZONE ORIENTED WEST TO EAST. LOW PRESSURE

THEN DEVELOPS ALONG THE GULF COAST BY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND TRACKS

TO JUST OFFSHORE OF THE MID ATLANTIC/DELMARVA TO NEW JERSEY BY

THURSDAY AFTERNOON. ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL SOLUTIONS ARE

PLAUSIBLE...BUT THERE ARE VERY MEANINGFUL STRENGTH/TRACK

DIFFERENCES. OUR PREFERENCE IS BASED ON TRENDS IN SOME OF THE

TIMING/STRENGTH/TRACK DETAILS. THE PAST TWO RUNS OF THE ECMWF HAVE

BEEN ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE TRACK ENVELOPE WHILE ALSO BEING VERY

STRONGLY DEVELOPED WITH THE SURFACE LOW. THE OPERATIONAL MODEL

CONSENSUS IS TOWARD A LOW TRACK THAT IS MORE SUPPRESSED TO THE

SOUTH ACROSS GEORGIA AND ADJACENT STATES ON DAY 2...AND THEN

FARTHER EAST...SLIGHTLY OFFSHORE ON DAY 3. GIVEN THAT THE PARENT

UPPER WAVE IS INITIALLY OF VERY LOW AMPLITUDE AND EMBEDDED IN FAST

ZONAL FLOW...WE PREFER THE NON-ECMWF CONSENSUS. WE OMITTED THE

CANADIAN FROM THIS CONSENSUS AS ITS SOLUTION IS SLIGHTLY FAST.

THE NAM/GFS ARE LIKELY NOT PERFECT...BUT THEY HAVE TRENDED TOWARD

THE ENSEMBLE MEANS...ESPECIALLY FOR TRACK AND TIMING. IT IS WORTH

NOTING THAT THERE IS EVIDENCE FROM MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE ECMWF AND

THE LATEST UKMET...AS WELL AS SEVERAL 12Z GEFS MEMBERS...THAT THE

LOW LEVEL CYCLONE MAY DROP DEEPER THAN THE NAM/GFS SOLUTIONS BY

14/00Z.

AN IMPORTANT NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE HAD NOT YET COME ASHORE

INTO BRITISH COLUMBIA THIS MORNING...SO SOME MARKED TRENDS MAY BE

YET TO COME. THE 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET...HOWEVER...ARE CONSISTENT WITH

THE CURRENT TRENDS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH GIVES US SOME

CONFIDENCE IN RECOMMENDING THEM

I like a track somewhat west of the B/M, weighted towards the Euro but not quite as west. The GFS likes to overplay the northern stream and may be pushing the low too far east and weakening it too much, but the Euro's bias of holding southern stream energy back and strengthening it may be at play too, which would mean maybe a slightly faster and weaker southern stream wave and further east track. In a progressive pattern, the northern stream kicker may be a touch faster also, and act to nudge the track east some. But we'll see what happens.

NAM is going to come in really amplified this run..sfc low is kissing OBX at 60 and the jet orientation is going to bring it near ACY or a tick east of there.

Yes it does look a good bit west but im also smart in knowing the NAM is notoriously amped and warm as well. This would fit well with the EURO solution but im not sold on the euro solution being correct seeing its performance with northern stream features has been poor-unsatisfactory this winter john

Archived