joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 Potential Snowstorm II

earthlight

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the GFS is still coming back west.  it has been moving that way for multiple runs, and I doubt it's finished. I am personally worried this comes to far west. 

My hope is with the GL disturbance that this really has no more room to come further west then what the Euro is showing. I think the Euro is a hair too far west and is having difficulty with the exact strength of the northern stream (as it has been doing all this winter). Once all those pieces are sampled correctly I feel it will settle more towards its ensembles.

The Euro ensembles are slower and a bit farther south than the 00z run. In fact they have also increased precipitation and show the CCB overhead.

So while 850s warm a bit towards the end they have a similar impressive snow signal to the OP run at least on the front end.

Im hoping that by the time there's a sub 990 low just east of Cape May, NJ that as we warm we would also dry slot. I know no one wants to hear dry slot but in this instance if the low were that tucked in it may  actually help shut off the precip as the warming does occur.

Im hoping that by the time there's a sub 990 low just east of Cape May, NJ that as we warm we would also dry slot. I know no one wants to hear dry slot but in this instance if the low were that tucked in it may actually help shut off the precip as the warming does occur.

Me personally i think the EURO OP and ensembles will shift east a bit away from the tucked solutions to the rest of the clustered globals/GFS etc. ive seen it with these systems amp up more than other models to correct east a bit over time. Also calculating a northern stream feature really isnt its high point

No, the mean is exactly what I said. 988mb low right on the NJ coast.

Me personally i think the EURO OP and ensembles will shift east a bit away from the tucked solutions to the rest of the clustered globals/GFS etc. ive seen it with these systems amp up more than other models to correct east a bit over time. Also calculating a northern stream feature really isnt its high point

Yea I feel the euro is still struggling with the NRN stream currently. We need to let that feature get onshore into some better sampling to really garner an idea of how it will affect everything. Right now I am going with a blend of Euro/GFS, I feel the Euro has the best handle on the SRN features (A significant coastal low) and the GFS is probably currently doing best with the NRN disturbance as has been the case all this winter.

I don't buy the nw shift or the se shift...any trend is going to come from the strength and timing of that northern impulse that has yet to be sampled. Weaker and we get the euro tight to coast solution...stronger it bumps the low farther east ala ukie.

We cannot have the initial surface low develop as strongly as the Euro suggests and go inland over North Carolina...if that occurs the PVA is going crazy and we're pushing mid level warmth right into our area. If you want mostly snow that has to happen just a hair farther east.

Exactly, ideally this all occurs over OBX and not inland. I believe with a kicker like the GFS has versus the Euro that this may be the case.

Archived