• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

29.0 degrees with a 25 degree DP in Stallings, NC just southeast of Charlotte. NOAA just changed tomorrow from a Snow/Sleet event to a all snow event during the day garnering 4-8 inches, switching to Snow/Sleet around 9PM and then to Freezing Rain until 5 AM on Thursday.  This is going to be a freaking mess. I have to be at work tomorrow night and Thursday night.  I'm screwed.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No question it will be snowing in clt by daybreak. The radar is really lighting up with snow north of atlanta!

What time are you thinking we start here?  I'm curious if my 9 AM class will get canceled (I'm almost certain my 2 PM class isn't happening). :D

It seems like overrunning always arrives earlier than expected.  Earlier might be better than later for us so we can lock in those low 20s we should experience overnight.

We just had our sleet begin....so far no flakes mixed in, 100% sleet when I walked the dog.  Our temp right at 32 w/ a DP of 28.  Located about 6 miles north of the I-85 and Hamilton Mill Rd. exit near Flowery Branch.

sweet - and i know where that is so it might be about time for me to start checking outside lol.  last time i looked it was 27.7 outside. 

sweet - and i know where that is so it might be about time for me to start checking outside lol.  last time i looked it was 27.7 outside. 

Good lord, I just read some of the banter thread........I went down and watched a movie with my wife, come back 2 hours later and listening to all the ranting in there it's like we're in storm cancel mode.  What possibly could've changed in the last 150 minutes that has the majority of the NC folks jumping off cliffs.  It sounds like Brick is in panic mode since all he keeps saying is "the models are wrong."

BTW, still sleeting here, harder than last time, temps steady around 32.

Good lord, I just read some of the banter thread........I went down and watched a movie with my wife, come back 2 hours later and listening to all the ranting in there it's like we're in storm cancel mode.  What possibly could've changed in the last 150 minutes that has the majority of the NC folks jumping off cliffs.  It sounds like Brick is in panic mode since all he keeps saying is "the models are wrong."

BTW, still sleeting here, harder than last time, temps steady around 32.

the usual, amounts are lower on the tv forecasts, underestimated, sleet mixing to keep totals down. brick the usual - storm track is either a little too west or little too east. throw it out (ie. the one that doesnt give the most snow haha)

i am stoked.  round 2 coming in, cold temps and heck the radar is lit up so moisture is here.  granted would love 10" of snow, but if i got 5" snow 2" sleet and .25 ice i would be happy and count it as a monster storm (at least for ga standards).  even though this is a CAD event, i am not watching dewpoints as much since this isnt the evap cooling hope where it drops 10 degrees when the precip starts.  my temp is dropping so slowly i am done with the thermometer for a while lol.  its safely below freezing at 27.5 and there is a really really good snowpack here - hope it helps down the line

seems like models are waffling, but its impossible to know (my opinion at least) the exact 50 mile area or whatever where the change/mix happens.  this is awesome - what, the third winter storm since last week of jan?

Looks like the precip will arrive earlier than expected here in the Upstate. I know it may take awhile to moisten

the atmoshpere but it should be snowing here in just a few more hours. From that standpoint it does remind 

me of 1988. Has the precip than was supposed to start around 9 or so but started during the night leading to

several quick inches before 8 or so

Vey light rain started here in Dunwoody (a little north of the ATL perimeter) at about 11:30 PM, close to what the models suggested. The temp., which had been between about 34.5 and 36 today including during the mixed precip., is very slowly starting to fall and is now back to the low of the day at 34.5.

Here in Dunwoody (north of ATL), it dropped to 33.3 for the lowest so far with the continued very light rain, which has been going for 1.5 hours. It has crept back up to 33.6 as of ~1 AM.

After starting off as sleet, it actually went to rain/freezing rain...now it's back to heavy sleet again. I never would have suspected rain with the sounding that the models showed overnight. Not sure if that means it's warmer than model projections or what but it's over now...maybe a flake mixed in at times now. rap insists on it changing to snow here within the next hour or 2.

Its ironic since burns just said him and brad mits are saying they are seeing evidence of it being colder than expected so they are upping totals. I  tell you burns and company are brave calling for 6 to 10 inches of snow as far south as northern atlanta based on his crappy computer models. there is absolutely nothing out there that shows that..like I said..*cough*..brave.

Archived