• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

I'll admit, I got so caught up on the ice potential, I neglected to take notice to the strong winds until today (well Tuesday). It's whipping out there. Conditions will continue to deteriorate rapidly here in Atlanta. And with that I'm off to bed for a couple of hours, it's pretty anti-climatic here atm besides wet roads from what I can tell. I'm sure that will change by 6am. 32.4°F DP: 28°F 

Yeah i've been worried about it for several days and indeed this wind is no joke. I just had a gust to 24mph.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

winds are continuing to pick up, have had a couple of gusts around 18 mph

edited to add:

Yeah i've been worried about it for several days and indeed this wind is no joke. I just had a gust to 24mph.

wow thats an impressive gust!  if we start getting 20+ mph winds could get really "interesting" really fast.  i would like to hope that means some of the colder air is rushing into your area

Finally 31 here.  Still no sleet...at all.

Big slug aimed straight for the metro and MBY. 

Loganville Ga.  Midway between Atlanta and Athens on Hwy. 78.

Temps and dew points indicate this round, if not sleet, will ramp up the accretion over much of metro Atl. and points north and east very shortly.

airT.png

dewpoint.png

Light snow here with a dusting on the ground.

Phil has sort of ruined the storm for me at the moment, as I can’t help but sit here watching that C.C. Radar and agonize over the snow/sleet line creeping up.

I was counting on a worst case scenario staying snow until 11am, now it looks like I could switch to sleet by maybe 9:00 or 10:00am.  

Light snow here with a dusting on the ground.

Phil has sort of ruined the storm for me at the moment, as I can’t help but sit here watching that C.C. Radar and agonize over the snow/sleet line creeping up.

I was counting on a worst case scenario staying snow until 11am, now it looks like I could switch to sleet by maybe 9:00 or 10:00am.

Just don't look at the radar. I actually do that a lot during storms. I think I enjoy it more. Ignorance is bliss. :)

The 06z NAM has my coldest layer at -.7 C at 1pm tomorrow. Prior to that all layers were at least -1C. I’m trying to figure out how it could be that far off, if I do in fact switch over to sleet much earlier than that???

The 06z NAM is a torch for all. Given it is been horribly inconsistent as of late while the Euro and UKMET have been mostly rock-solid, I'm mostly going to discount it. If the NAM is right, very few people outside the mountains will be happy. It was a raging sleet storm for those of us that were fortunate enough to avoid the ZR.

It's also about 10 mb off for the strength of the surface low versus the Euro and UKMET.

If the NAM is indeed this far off so close to go-time, I'm not even sure what the use of it is anymore. It's a short-range model that might blow the SR forecast by epic proportions. Or it's picked up on something the other models have missed and we're screwed...

This is not what I wanted to post.

I am under a heavy band of precip, temp is 30.4 and it's all rain.   :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:

:underthewx: ugh.  i am assuming its all freezing at that temp. 

went out to try and get a measurement, not sure how accurate since its really starting to blow around.  looks like .50-.75" - i cant remember the last time i saw blowing snow around here.  stand by the house and it blows off down your collar lol

also noticed you can hear the wind coming by the noise before it even gets here.  several over 20 mph last 15-20 min or so

:underthewx: ugh.  i am assuming its all freezing at that temp. 

went out to try and get a measurement, not sure how accurate since its really starting to blow around.  looks like .50-.75" - i cant remember the last time i saw blowing snow around here.  stand by the house and it blows off down your collar lol

also noticed you can hear the wind coming by the noise before it even gets here.  several over 20 mph last 15-20 min or so

Yeah, the grill on the back patio has a nice glaze on it.  You can hear it already in the trees.  

My temp continues to drop like a rock.  30.2 now

My observation is even NWS forecast is a bust for here since the overnight is almost done.

Overnight Snow and sleet. Low around 26. Northeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible

Still a zr/sleet mix in the dawsonville area. Lookout one question, why have I had a zr sleet mix? What's the science behind that

I explained it a few posts back. Some layer somewhere is either above freezing and melting the snow on the way down without refreezing it or the precip is developing in the part of the atmosphere not conducive for snow flake growth (-10c or there abouts).

Back over to mostly sleet now. Will probably get a break in a little bit. Sure can hear the ice out there now with a solid crust of sleet and freezing rain over every surface.

i see hartsfield is now down to 32. Pretty impressive temp drops everywhere indeed since all locations were already saturated.

I just hit 32.0 for the first time here in Dunwoody at 2:40 AM. Is is now 32.2. Still all rain/no IP and nothing yet freezing on the bushes from what I can tell. Come on IP, where are you? I never expected snow in this early period, but was hoping for IP.

Edit: back down to 32.0 at 2:50 AM.

Here in Dunwoody, down to 31.6 (lowest yet) and ZR now with thin ice buildup on above ground surfaces that I checked. Still no IP but I'm not giving up. I'm looking at those brighter returns to the WSW and hoping they will finally lead to a change to IP, but they seem to be diminishing as they approach the GA/AL line.

On the bright side, the snow/sleet line has held stationary for the last 40 minutes.

On the bad side, I can’t get decent enough rates to capitalize on it. :axe:

Oh well,

I told myself from the beginning that I would be happy with whatever fell knowing that at the very least it’s all frozen in some form or another.  I need to get back in that mind set. The NAM is still spitting out over 1.5 inches of frozen liquid here.  

My observation is even NWS forecast is a bust for here since the overnight is almost done.

Overnight Snow and sleet. Low around 26. Northeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible

Ends at 7am for them

Here in Dunwoody, down to 31.6 (lowest yet) and ZR now with thin ice buildup on above ground surfaces that I checked. Still no IP but I'm not giving up. I'm looking at those brighter returns to the WSW and hoping they will finally lead to a change to IP.

FFC seems to think our ice will not be too bad. I'm not sure I share their optimism right now but I hope they are right. One thing for sure, their discussion is pretty incredible..gives me chills to think about it. I know that their wording/descriptions made national headlines today with people in media circles even comparing this to the wording the nws used before katrina hit.

FFC's AFD just out is pretty good; still not sure they're properly capturing the northern extent of the current icing.  I also don't think Habersham is part of Metro; they're the ones with Snow.. :axe:

REPORTS OF SNOW AND SLEET
ALREADY COMING IN ACROSS THE METRO AREA AS CAD WEDGE STRENGTHENS AND
PUSHES FURTHER SOUTHEAST

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=AFD&issuedby=FFC&glossary=1

There is a lot more sleet and ice pellets now versus freezing rain. I think that trend will continue

temps are now down into the low 20s at elevations from 2500 to 3000 feet so it continues to get colder which is good news. Fair bit of sleet going on now too. Loud enough that I can hear it inside. So hopefully this continues to be the case. Temp down to 30.2.

Archived