• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

Based on the Georgia power map, Canton seems to be the first city in the metro to suffer from a widespread power outage. So far so good else where other than isolated power outages.

Sleet is really picking up here...wouldn't be surprised if it's more sleet than freezing rain now.

the have a link for who does and who doesnt have power?  thats kind of cool - if i just google it should it come up?

never mind that was a stupid question. of course it come up lol.  thats pretty cool - and a good way to track where the heavier ice accretion is

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HRRR seems to be right with the heavier bands of precip, but it was wrong with precip. types. If this were snow, I could see how we would have gotten 6-8 inches right off the back.

My God imagine if we would've had the temps we had with this last event a few weeks ago. We'd be talking feet.

Excellent... Maybe you can switch over to snow for a while!

Well they are a good ways away from me but it's good to see the trend reverse for a change by actual observations. They are down to 28. It's down to 29.7 here.

This sleet is more like small hail right now..flakes must be only half melted before refreezing. Things are starting to turn white from the sleet.

Again using Correlation Coefficient is a great way to find where the snow/sleet line is at. Where mixing occurs, the correlation coefficient drops off significantly (below .9) as mixed precipitation snow/sleet/freezing rain occurs. Amounts from .9 to 1 can depict rain, snow, or sleet but only if all of the hydrometeors are of the same composition. 

Right now that line is on the southern edge of Abbeville County on the SC/GA border. Points southward are sleet/freezing rain while points northward are mainly snow at this point. The first 6-12 hours should see this line rise actually as the 850 hPa low remains to our east and warm air advection wins over dynamical cooling to inch the sleet line northward towards the I-85 corridor. 

Gsp has their dual pole radar when you put the settings on Differential Reflectivity it shows the melting layer as well. That's what I'm using while sitting here chewing my fingernails off!

Predominantly  sleet now.  Interestingly, while I can't see beyond my deck atm, I'm still accreting ice on the furniture it seems.  Very efficient accrual considering an air temp of only 31. 

I know were modeled to hold steady, or drop another degree or two during the day.  Other than roads, I wonder how much daylight will effect additional ice accumulations on exposed surfaces?

Heaviest sleet I can ever remember seeing. Already a quarter inch down on everything including pavement.

Pretty much the heaviest I've ever seen. It's coming down like crazy, everything has turned white. Looking at that radar imagery, one would think it could changeover to snow at some point as the sleet/mixing has moved south and southwest for sure. Keep hoping that with these heavy returns it could do the job but it might be tough. However, channel 2 just said snow being reported in  douglas county..that is encouraging.

I might be having what one could consider actual flakes every so often but it's hard to tell with it blowing so fast.

flakes being reported in athens! I'm happy to hear that.

Archived