joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am anxiously waiting some of those heavier returns to make it up our way :devilsmiley:

I hate you sometimes. here I am having to keep going outside and staring at the damn yard light and you are getting your second snowstorm in 24 hours :gun_bandana:

Unbelievable how quickly things have gone bad across the east side of metro ATL the last hour. Multiple reports of icing on bridges and roads. 

ground is an absolute ice rink right now. And just imagine it's really just gotten started.

Pretty much the heaviest I've ever seen. It's coming down like crazy, everything has turned white. Looking at that radar imagery, one would think it could changeover to snow at some point as the sleet/mixing has moved south and southwest for sure. Keep hoping that with these heavy returns it could do the job but it might be tough. However, channel 2 just said snow being reported in douglas county..that is encouraging.

I might be having what one could consider actual flakes every so often but it's hard to tell with it blowing so fast.

flakes being reported in athens! I'm happy to hear that.

hard to believe there's snow in Douglas county. I'm in villa rica and just freezing rain.

850s have increased a lot recently. It was barely 1 C and now it's nearly 3 C. What the heck?

Models have been showing that for some time as strong waa gets going aloft. In recent runs though the models have been trying to fight it back a little bit due to the heavy precip but it's probably a losing battle as it's just going to be too much except in the far northeast corner/mountains. And it's that waa that could change it over to freezing rain by later today as the warm nose deepens and gets warmer. Hopefully that will stay south of me but after tonight's events...I'm having my doubts.

Models have been showing that for some time as strong waa gets going aloft. In recent runs though the models have been trying to fight it back a little bit due to the heavy precip but it's probably a losing battle as it's just going to be too much except in the far northeast corner/mountains. And it's that waa that could change it over to freezing rain by later today as the warm nose deepens and gets warmer. Hopefully that will stay south of me but after tonight's events...I'm having my doubts.

Do you think it will go back to freezing rain across Atlanta?

Lots of sleet here. Heavy returns inbound. If only this was snow  :arrowhead:

33/32

You are going to get there. this is one of those situations where you could actually see freezing of the rain with a temperature of 32, especially in the top of the trees because of how cold it is just off the surface and just off the surface. The biggest negative factors are that rates will be high and it runs off before freezing and the fact the warm layer is so deep the actual drops are warmer. From my experience  you want to see solidly below freezing temps (-2c or lower) to 925 to 900mb but nam/gfs seem to only get it to between 925 and 950mb.

You are going to get there. this is one of those situations where you could actually see freezing of the rain with a temperature of 32, especially in the top of the trees because of how cold it is just off the surface and just off the surface. The biggest negative factors are that rates will be high and it runs off before freezing and the fact the warm layer is so deep the actual drops are warmer. From my experience  you want to see solidly below freezing temps (-2c or lower) to 925 to 900mb but nam/gfs seem to only get it to between 925 and 950mb.

makes perfect sense.  TY  I think we will as well, FFC upped our amounts back up to .50".  I think that will end up being right, but I really don't want to thank the NAM for nailing this at 33 and rain.  hahahaha

Do you think it will go back to freezing across Atlanta?

Lots of sleet here. Heavy returns inbound. If only this was snow  :arrowhead:

based on the soundings probably so...especially if precip rates lighten up.

man there has to be some freaking crazy snow rates over central parts of the upstate. I'd love to be in that. It's causing the changeover to go in reverse. The changeover is only half a county away right now...i'm so tired of being so close to snow since yesterday. If it keeps up, hopefully in part because of this heavy precip, it will get here soon. But I know my luck.

I hate you sometimes. here I am having to keep going outside and staring at the damn yard light and you are getting your second snowstorm in 24 hours :gun_bandana:

ground is an absolute ice rink right now. And just imagine it's really just gotten started.

i know, i feel kind of bad when so many miss the snow and i get clobbered :yikes:  i cant believe this is the second one - its unbelievable.  the winds are roaring here so i am hoping it is really driving this cold air on down

Yea me too, although it continues to snow pretty good just not near as hard or big a flakes as yesterday morning.

And whats up with that big dry slot in N Ga approaching?

i am not its really as bad as it would appear.  its still snowing here (radar has a hard time this area sometimes, right on the edge of ffc and on the edge of gsp)

am hoping that the heavier returns are starting to head back this way (guessing storm fighting with the wedge lol) also looks like it might be drying, but check this image - sort of looks like redeveloping where looked to be drying out

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?num=10&delay=15&scale=1.00&noclutter=0&ID=GSP&type=N0R&lat=34.51416779&lon=-83.52513123&label=Cornelia%2C+GA&showstorms=0&showlabels=0&rainsnow=0

just noticed the temp has had a pretty decent drop since the snow picked up.  down to 25* now :thumbsup:

just had thunder sleet! At least I think I did..i didn't see the flash but I heard a strange sounding rumble. Extremely heavy sleet at the moment.

NICE!!! now thats what i am talking about :D

just noticed the temp has had a pretty decent drop since the snow picked up.  down to 25* now :thumbsup:

NICE!!! now thats what i am talking about :D

Yeah at least I have something to show for staying up all night :arrowhead:

Greensboro, which is well south of me, is reporting snow. I hope that is right since that would most likely mean a changeover will happen. Just not sure because of where it's at.

Archived