amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 3

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite. We're going to be impacted, but I wouldn't call it a "special" for DTW.

It's more like a STL-LAF-CLE special.

Yeah I know it ain't perfect, but pretty close.  Not bad for over a week ago.  Just messing around anyway.

Picked up maybe 0.3" here so far.  Snow has become extremely light again now that the enhanced band has vaporized.

Dry slot has taken over wagons as the hip word. 

About 1.5" here so far. A little back off in intensity currently, but reinforcements coming from the west.

I have struggled reading the maps tonight....what are your thoughts on the dry slot, overall etc....the hi res models have still showed higher qpf...but then the dryslot...

The models have been advertising that lull poised to move into NE IL between the glancing blow from the WAA snows and the defo snows associated with the ULL for a long time.  It isn't the dry slot, just a decrease in intensity associated with dry air and weaker forcing. Honestly anything we get before the defo is bonus snow.

The models have been advertising that lull poised to move into NE IL between the glancing blow from the WAA snows and the defo snows associated with the ULL for a long time.  It isn't the dry slot, just a decrease in intensity associated with dry air and weaker forcing. Honestly anything we get before the defo is bonus snow.

Energy split FTW.

Basically this storm is just a colder/glorified December Mutant Storm given the track of the surface low vs. the ULL. 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42059-december-21-22nd-winter-storm-part-3/page-29

I have struggled reading the maps tonight....what are your thoughts on the dry slot, overall etc....the hi res models have still showed higher qpf...but then the dryslot...

I think it'll punch in for a bit, especially Indy on south, but then the defo snows move back over. Not sure that we'll reach the top end of snowfall projections...but need to let it play out. Storms always have waxes and wanes. 

Well, this has started off to a bang in Cleveland. First hourly ob with snow and already inch per hour rates:

KCLE 042351Z 03012KT 3/4SM -SN VV009 M04/M07 A3025 RMK AO2 SNB05 SLP257 SNINCR 1/4 P0003 60003 931005 4/004 T10441072 11028 21044 58024

Thank you, appreciate it.

Well, I'm not totally confident in that scenario. ;)

Watching radar can fook with your head sometimes. Though...can't say I'm in love with what I see at the moment for LAF. My greatest fear was missing out on the best of the WAA snows, which has happened...and then getting grazed by the defo snows. But we'll hope for the best.

IND doing work.

At 7:00 PM, Indianapolis Int'L Airp [Marion Co, IN] NWS OFFICE reports SNOW of 3.80 INCH

Sweet. Puts them currently at 8th place on the snowiest season on record list. :)

58.2" in 1981-82

57.9" in 1977-78

51.7" in 1995-96

50.0" in 2002-03

46.8" in 1895-96

44.8" in 1973-74

41.9" in 1983-84

40.6" in 2013-14

40.0" in 1892-93

38.6" in 1905-06

Well, I'm not totally confident in that scenario. ;)

Watching radar can fook with your head sometimes. Though...can't say I'm in love with what I see at the moment for LAF. My greatest fear was missing out on the best of the WAA snows, which has happened...and then getting grazed by the defo snows. But we'll hope for the best.

i agree with you..the F'n on watching radar is a bad deal....makes me pour another 1

i agree with you..the F'n on watching radar is a bad deal....makes me pour another 1

Haha, yep. I think we're porked in the LAF. Nothing but a few spits here right now, and radar going to hell in a hand basket out to the west (especially north of STL and in the Springfield IL area). But you guys should get the good WAA snows that IND has been receiving. Make due while you can. Enjoy and good luck!  :D

Archived