• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 3

Whitelakeroy

4.5" here at my place, about 3" at the NWS Office in DVN it looks like, and KMLI official observing site 6.1" it appears.  A hair more than I expected...to bad the ratios were not better or we could have made a run at 7 or 8".  On to the next little light snow over the weekend...

Pretty much the same here at 4.3".  More than I thought we'd get but still fell short of other areas south and east.  Maybe next time.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Warsaw IN area seems to take the crown for top snowfall reports in the IWX CWA.

...KOSCIUSKO COUNTY...

2 SW NORTH WEBSTER 13.6 242 PM 2/05

1 S WINONA LAKE 13.0 1200 PM 2/05 STORM TOTAL

WARSAW 12.0 925 AM 2/05 STORM TOTAL AT 845 AM

4 ENE LEESBURG 12.0 154 PM 2/05

2 SW LEESBURG 12.0 1041 AM 2/05

CLAYPOOL 10.0 850 AM 2/05

yep ended up right at a foot here at my place.  I was unfortunately asleep when it was snowing a 2 inches per hour. 

Fun little system.... Around 9" until the snow settled a little bit. All I can say is "Wow, them are some piles..." Much more enjoyable than the stupid slurpee system of the last weekend. Push the snow, clean the sidewalks and salt.

Good to see some home action shots and put some faces to the names. The drifts around here are insane, can't wait to get on the sleds tomorrow night and have the kids pose next to them. I am sure glad for the cold to settle in and keep the beautiful snow around for a while, unlike the last time. All the ditches are now filled in with all the blowing snow, in fact some of the deeper ones 20' are full too !! Time to busy with the camera and document this snow.

SXUS73 KDTX 052238 CCA
RERDTX

RECORD EVENT REPORT...CORRECTED DAILY SNOWFALL
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
0537 PM EST WED FEB 05 2014

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT DETROIT MI...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 7.6 INCH(ES) WAS SET AT DETROIT MI TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 5 SET IN 1908.

$

$

7.5" was the final total in Huntington. This ended up being quite a spread the wealth storm for a major portion of the subforum. Even Toronto got in on the action.

I noticed quite a bit of variability in snowfall totals over small areas. Sometimes it can be attributed to erroneous measuring, but it seems there are several spots throughout IN, IL, MI, and OH where there are 2-4" differences within a few miles.

Took a jebwalk tonight. Deep winter appeal...and just gorgeous out there. Perfect timing as well, as some mood flakes fell during my 45 minute walk. Just a couple of "piles" pics, shot with my phone and a shaky hand...so the quality isn't the best. Second one is an open pond near the hospital, that had at least a 100 ducks in it. Though, every other pond around there has been frozen over for some time...so I'm a little leery of what they're discharging into that water. :lol:

Took a jebwalk tonight. Deep winter appeal...and just gorgeous out there. Perfect timing as well, as some mood flakes fell during my 45 minute walk. Just a couple of "piles" pics, shot with my phone and a shaky hand...so the quality isn't the best. Second one is an open pond near the hospital, that had at least a 100 ducks in it. Though, every other pond around there has been frozen over for some time...so I'm a little leery of what they're discharging into that water. :lol:

awesome man....congrats!

attachicon.giflaf feb 5 #1.JPG

attachicon.giflaf feb 5 #2.JPG

attachicon.giflaf feb 5 #4.JPG

Nice pics....I want to take pics of some of our mountains, I may do it tomorrow after work at 5pm, maybe get some good twilight lighting. So much for you living in the tropics. What was your final total? :snowwindow:

19" is the official depth at DTW, so close. We need another little clipper to push us over the 20" mark.

It will settle an inch or two or maybe even three over the next several days as todays snow was powdery. Still remember, depth is just a number this year with all the drifts. Plenty of spots over 20" at DTW right now (just plenty under as well).

Was just outside cleaning up from the plow. My snowbanks are now 6-7 feet high. I have never seen scenes like this here...and the way the landscape looks now is better then the pics I have seen from most of these big dogs we dont get. I do see that a few reports have trickled in this evening on DTX facebook page, including 9" in Windsor and 9" in Allen Park right near me, with several 8" reports in Monroe county, so another over-performing snowstorm here with 7-9" falling from YIP-DTW south to the OH border.

This is now not only my 5th 6"+ storm of the season, but my FOURTH 8"+ snowstorm of the season :lmao:

11.6" - Dec 31-Jan 2

10.3" - Jan 4/5

8.4" - Dec 14

8.3" - Feb 4/5

6.1" - Jan 26/27

DTWs numbers for the 5 storms...

11.1" - Dec 31-Jan 2

11.0" - Jan 4/5

8.0" - Feb 4/5

7.7" - Dec 14

6.2" - Jan 26/27

Side note...its nice to see everyone do so well. A real spread the wealth storm :)

It will settle an inch or two or maybe even three over the next several days as todays snow was powdery. Still remember, depth is just a number this year with all the drifts. Plenty of spots over 20" at DTW right now (just plenty under as well).

It's really amazing. Looking outside I feel more like I'm living in some far northern city near the arctic that is buried in snow. Running out of places to put all of this stuff.

Decent uniformity in amounts in Toronto. Pearson lost at least 2" due to the nipher, 7-9" seems like the general number, but 10"+ across the northern part of the city that was under the local f-gen band.

Toronto Pearson.................5.6"
Toronto - South Etobicoke..8.7"
Toronto - Downsview..........11.0"
Toronto - annex..................7.5"
Toronto - riverdale..............7.1"
Toronto - East York............8.7"

Toronto - SSC's mom.......~8.0"

I added the last one.

Amounts were similar to the Dec 14th storm so I'll say a tie for most impressive storm here this winter. Biggest difference this time was the higher amounts were north rather than along the lake.

Hoosier or Chicagowx what was your total for this storm, I read back a few pages but must have missed it, also how close to 60" are you?   To say the least I was a bit perturbed on Monday afternoon. I was watching the models come in and had seen the 18z run of the NAM and was waiting until the 18z run of the RGEM  to confirm before I posted a prediction for Chicago and LAF. At 2:30 central my Internet provider had problems and I lost the service for 48hrs.  I was just about to post 4-6" for Chicago and 8-10" for LAF, to say the least I was pissed.

LAF good luck on your quest for 60"

Decent uniformity in amounts in Toronto. Pearson lost at least 2" due to the nipher, 7-9" seems like the general number, but 10"+ across the northern part of the city that was under the local f-gen band.

Toronto Pearson.................5.6"

Toronto - South Etobicoke..8.7"

Toronto - Downsview..........11.0"

Toronto - annex..................7.5"

Toronto - riverdale..............7.1"

Toronto - East York............8.7"

Toronto - SSC's mom.......~8.0"

I added the last one.

Amounts were similar to the Dec 14th storm so I'll say a tie for most impressive storm here this winter. Biggest difference this time was the higher amounts were north rather than along the lake.

Pearson actually came in a bit closer to reality than the prelim number indicated....6.3" storm total.

Hoosier or Chicagowx what was your total for this storm, I read back a few pages but must have missed it, also how close to 60" are you?   To say the least I was a bit perturbed on Monday afternoon. I was watching the models come in and had seen the 18z run of the NAM and was waiting until the 18z run of the RGEM  to confirm before I posted a prediction for Chicago and LAF. At 2:30 central my Internet provider had problems and I lost the service for 48hrs.  I was just about to post 4-6" for Chicago and 8-10" for LAF, to say the least I was pissed.

LAF good luck on your quest for 60"

Your prediction was spot on. I received 9.1" with the storm and another local board member got to 10". My season total now stands at 55.1", so we're getting close. And thanks for the well wishes.

EDIT to add local CoCoRaHS observer final totals.

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 9.5"

West Lafayette 2.8 NNE: 10.3" (blue60007 from this forum). 

Archived