• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 3

Whitelakeroy

I, too, have noticed the huge surge NE'ward of that dry slot... and it almost looks like the comma head of the system is getting a bit disjointed from the moisture on the SE side of the system.  This would almost seem to say the upper air low is perhaps a bit W in reality compared to the models.  But as this pivots East this evening and tonight that dry slot should gradually fill right back in with no issues.  This trend will certainly need to be watched though...if it surges in to IL and combined with the dry lower layers someone could really get screwed on totals and that could translate East right across Indiana too.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drive home from work is going to suck! :lol:

You can say that again. Southwest side of Indy to Muncie. I figure it'll take about three hours. Lol Ironically, the book on tape I have right now is Ernest Shackleton's book on his failed Antarctic expedition.

SREF plumes for Muncie now up to just shy of 10" with a half-dozen members over a foot. Maybe Muncie will actually jackpot a storm like this. Good luck everyone!!

I, too, have noticed the huge surge NE'ward of that dry slot... and it almost looks like the comma head of the system is getting a bit disjointed from the moisture on the SE side of the system.  This would almost seem to say the upper air low is perhaps a bit W in reality compared to the models.  But as this pivots East this evening and tonight that dry slot should gradually fill right back in with no issues.  This trend will certainly need to be watched though...if it surges in to IL and combined with the dry lower layers someone could really get screwed on totals and that could translate East right across Indiana too.

Good info, thanks.

kind of want geos to jackpot just so we can get his infectious optimism back...although he might just be broke until spring

He gone.

Snowing nicely here...very fine flakes...roads coated already...off for a little Makers Mark and things for dinner 

That's how you do it. Enjoy the storm my friend.

Looking at satellite imagery and appears the upper air low is just W or SW of Wichita KS.  Also the dry punch runs essentially from SE Kansas/SW Missouri/NE Oklahoma Northeast right into Central IL.  Just left of that we are getting heavy snow reports around Galesburg.  But back in KS the snowfall reports don't really seem to impressive and the satellite wouldn't really suggest real heavy snows falling.  I haven't looked at surface obs back there yet but I have some major concerns for this achieving the higher end forecasted amounts.  And remember the models have been to wet all year typically.  So go with the somewhat lower QPF's, that fact we got a huge dry slot to overcome, dry air at the surface to overcome, and a system that looks a bit disjointed and that's why I have the concerns I do.

Looking at satellite imagery and appears the upper air low is just W or SW of Wichita KS.  Also the dry punch runs essentially from SE Kansas/SW Missouri/NE Oklahoma Northeast right into Central IL.  Just left of that we are getting heavy snow reports around Galesburg.  But back in KS the snowfall reports don't really seem to impressive and the satellite wouldn't really suggest real heavy snows falling.  I haven't looked at surface obs back there yet but I have some major concerns for this achieving the higher end forecasted amounts.  And remember the models have been to wet all year typically.  So go with the somewhat lower QPF's, that fact we got a huge dry slot to overcome, dry air at the surface to overcome, and a system that looks a bit disjointed and that's why I have the concerns I do.

In KS

KFOE 041953Z 03010KT M1/4SM R31/1200V1800FT +SN FZFG VV006 M05/M07 A3002

RMK AO2 SLP179 P0005 T10501072

KTOP 042032Z 04015KT 1/4SM +SN VV010 M04/M07 A3003

KLWC 042019Z AUTO 05012G17KT 1/4SM +SN VV011 M04/M07 A3004 RMK AO2 P0001

T10441072

Fire breathing lizard? See that...on the 18z NAM clown map.

I'm totally sober right now. Seriously.

attachicon.gif2:4 18z NAM clown.gif

So that's where my stash went.

Even running with a drier model (EURO) as Justin suggested, I'm thinking I can still pull off 6" IMBY, given the ratios will be pretty good and a solid forecast DGZ.

Unfortunately a lot of the snow for me will come in the wee early morning and work hours, so won't be able to enjoy this one the way I'd like to.

Widespread 5-10" amounts in C. KS, and 2-6" in the TOP/KC area...Thus far.

SN/+SN continues down there too.

Not that I know jack. But I have seen worse dry sluts. Radar shows a nice developing deformation band and taking on the look of a classic winter cyclone.

first random flakes of the event began in the last 5 minutes here....nothing of great substance....but a good sign

not pixies....but, larger ones....but literally countable as they fly through the air....not much

Hmmm. Teaser flakes?

I'll ride my winter theme-if it can find a way to snow around here this year,it will. A lot of science in that.

first random flakes of the event began in the last 5 minutes here....nothing of great substance....but a good sign

not pixies....but, larger ones....but literally countable as they fly through the air....not much

Not bad...

Heavy banding moving in is speeding up saturation.

Not sure about the euros track but u do notice qpf at dtw increased from 0.32" at its 00z run to 0 52" at 12z. 12z nam craziness won't pan out but looking like we see another nice snowstorm here.

Anything over 6" would be great from my point of view, but 0.52" would likely yield about that, seems a bit high still but exciting to think about.

Archived